Windows Server 2012 Terminal Server Licensing - Error 800

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by teleport7, Mar 13, 2013.

1. teleport7

teleport7 MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2013
    #1 teleport7, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. fernando_ccs

fernando_ccs MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2013
    I researched this for months, and finally I have a solution:

Use Windows Server 2012 Retail version NOT the Volume License (VL) one.
    Does not matter if is Standard, Datacenter or whatever.

What really matters is the Windows PID. The Windows PID feeds the Terminal Services License ID.

ALL the VL editions of Server 2012 have the same PID. Result: ERROR 800 when generating the CALs.

Based on that, to have a fully working Remote Desktop Services in Server 2012 do the following:

1) Install Windows Server 2012 non-VL version.
    You can use the MSDN version: en_windows_server_2012_x64_dvd_915478.iso. The non-VL version asks for a Serial Number. Search the web for your desired edition.

** AFTER INSTALLATION DO NOT ACTIVATE YET**

2) Install the Remote Desktop Services role with “Session Host” and “Licensing” role services. Reboot the server.

3) Open “Remote Desktop Licensing Manager”, right click on your server, click “Activate Server”. Use “Automatic Connection” and fill the required fields.
    Start the license installer. On “License Program” choose “Select License”. Use the Agreement Number 6565792. “License type” and “Quantity” is on your choice.

4) Open “Local Group Policy Editor” (gpedit.msc) and go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Licensing.

In “Use the specified Remote Desktop license server”, enable it and set “127.0.0.1” in options. Click OK.

In “Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode”, enable it (if not) and set “Per device” or “Per user”, based on license type set in Step 3. Click OK.

All done. Have fun.

3. teleport7

teleport7 MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2013
    Today, during my 90 days usual RDP licensing reset, accidentally I have founded that root of problem is in Windows 2012 VL edition.
    I come back to this topic for report and I am very glad to see so full problem describing.

Fernando_css - thank you so much for clear explanation!

There is no proper way but I am going to try changing Product ID without reinstall Windows 2012 VL (if it will be possible).
    Unfortunately I will be able to do it only in winter 2014 (

Thanks for help!