Windows Server Technical Preview Pc Settings Bugged

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by endbase, Oct 22, 2014.

1. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Hi im running the server technical preview build 9481 and want to upgrade to Build 9860

The thing is that my pc settings is bugged I try to open it but it just won't work !

Is there a way to upgrade trough another way then pc settings update and recovery menu.

If so let me know :tea:

Greetz Base

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's the result from 'playing' with the system while adding, deleting or editing files and settings, me think!

Try first to repair your system and than try to update again, may it works, may nit don't works!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #3 endbase, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    (OP)
    I allready used sfc /scannow and now using the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess command

It is running at the moment hope that it solves my problem :tea:

Update: the restore operation completed succesfully and still the same bugg

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Now I'm running a refresh install let see if it solves my problem ;)

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It doesn't work to my knowledge.
    If they have an update for the server, it would likely require an update to enable.
    I've added the desktop experience features and the "windows update settings"
    and it gives error messages.

I've added a non-admin user to try that way as well, but that does also not work.

If anyone figures out how to get it to work, please let us know.
    I couldn't figure it out.

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I have tried te same here does'nt work either

7. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    On a clean installation of Windows Server (2012 onwards, including TP), PC Settings are not available by default. Hence I suspect Microsoft will have a different way of deploying the new build for TP, since they can't expect most users to go through PC Settings. I suspect it may eventually appear as a regular Windows Update for Server.

8. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I supose i can only wait for that :p btw it is present in the 9841 build just not working i guess

9. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Same here, PC Settings never opened for me on the Server TP.
    Adding features and services made no difference, it still never opened.

But as kelorgo says, there will have to be a different solution to updating the Server version of Windows 10.

10. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #10 LiteOS, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    someone know when we will have new version to server ?

mb there a way to trick pc settings from windows 10 to think its windows server?

11. GHeimnis

GHeimnis MDL Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Hi Guru ;-)

I still have the same problem on a virgin fresh install.

The first button I clicked, was the 'PC-Settings'-Button ... and nothing the PC-Settings App is going to be open but closed himself immediately ..., but perhaps:

It's not a bug, it's a feature ...?

12. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Defently not ready for use !! ;)

13. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I don't know, bud.
    The best I could do is to enable the desktop experience pack and then have the option to open "Windows Update Settings".
    But when you do that it gives you an error. You can try to make a user account since admin accounts cannot run apps, but, that gives same error.

I think that they will likely either push it through Windows Update, or at least enable the PC Settings to allow the download through a fix.
    I don't think they're as concerned with server since the normal TP is so much more popular.
    I honestly wouldn't worry about it much either. People who install server expect a highly polished product, so most are not using these tech previews.

14. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    @murphy78

Call me crazy but i have upgraded windows server 2012 R2 with the TP server I'm a sucker for upgrades and have confidence in microsoft so Yeah maybe I'm different then "normal" users ;)

15. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Just a thought...

By going through the 'PC Settings' app aren't you doing an upgrade.
    And doesn't MS advice against upgrades on Server systems ???

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As long as the server is just for a small network or home based, there wouldn't be much problems. Problems starting if the servers is used under high security as Application Server, Domain Controller or so or in and as an Cluster Server!!

17. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    thx for reply
    also i tested it
    even with between creating user and finish the installation
    but its not running

18. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Yah I just don't think there are enough people that installed Server for this to be high on their priority list.
    We might get some Server Release Preview or RC, but I don't think we'll get the timely updates like the normal Tech Preview.