Windows Setup v1 - Install Many Windows directly from ISO file

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sushil1576, Aug 27, 2011.

1. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Interesting. I would love your au3 files ;)

I have a similar approach, i make a WinPE with Winbuilder and have the ramdrive as X and my $oem$ folder (with daz loader and branding, etc) in x\windows\system32\$oem$ with my various autounattends in $oem$. I have desktop shortcuts that are made when the PE boots that do this (sometimes the code explains it all... )
    FileCreateShortcut("x:\sources\setup.exe",@DesktopDir &"\Win7 (Admin NO Autologon NO pass).lnk", $CDDRIVE2 & "\", "/unattend:" & "X:\Windows\system32\$OEM$\Autounattend_ADMIN.xml", "Install Win 7 with Admin account as User and NO autologon with no pass", "", "", 0, @SW_SHOWNORMAL)
    As long is there is a "sources" dir with install.wim, boot.wim, and setup.exe on any root of media it will find the image and use the files imbedded in my WinPE. The WinPE ramdisk sources dir has all the needed installation files. The ramdisk is also writeable so you can tweak an autounattend on the fly, even burnt to DVD. As it installs, i have a script that looks for WinPEpge.sys and then copies the $oem$ folder to systemdrive\$Windows.~LS\Sources\$OEM$ and uses it as normal. Its very nice to have a less than 300 meg boot.wim (can boot off a small USB) that has everything you need to install a custom windows from any install.wim (vanilla ?), minus drivers and updates. This only works with some custom au3s i made, but the approach is what matters.

Your approach is also great and im going to tinker with it all afternoon in VM. I merely share my approach to show things i found experimenting, as i know you have spent alot of time doing the same. I in no way want to hijack your thread and your wonderful release.

2. 7ossam

7ossam MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2010
    thanks a lot, i was looking 4 something like this from long time ago , see
    msfn.org/board/topic/147083-multiple-unattended-windows-7/page__p__942998#entry942998

i knew how to do this in xp but didn't know how to do this in win 7 until i found ur post , i will try ur method soon

3. sushil1576

sushil1576 MDL Senior Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Hi,..I am sure your approach must be working very well,But you can do this in a much simpler manner with my method,..Just call unattend.xml and oem folder directly from setup and the setup will automatically search for any install.wim and oemfolder..For this you can use "/unattend:" and "/m:" switch of windows "setup.exe"..

4. sushil1576

Jul 3, 2009
    #24 sushil1576, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
    (OP)
    I am glad that this setup will be of some use to you...Just post your feedback..The main advantage of this type of setup is that you can have multiple OEM folder and multiple Autounattend.xml files on your USB drive or anywhere on your PC and then call them directly from windows setup...And with these options we would never be required to change or mod the ISO files again ,as all the unattended installations,driver installations etc can be directly handled from outside the ISO files...:)

5. nobodyin

nobodyin MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2011
    64 bit does not work

My usb stick boots correctly into Win7 32bit but trying to do 64bit just gives me a command window with this message:
    "A winpeshl.ini file is present, but no commands were successfully launched. This could be caused by incorrect formatting or an invalid executable name. Please consult the documentation for more information.
    X:\windows\system32>".
    Any suggestions? Thanks.

6. fmustang76

fmustang76 MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2009
    I had the same issue and found the problem. The batch file that configures the setup for x64 is incorrectly changing the setup file name when copying it into the iso temp folder.

To fix:

Edit the file "WindowsSetup_x64.cmd"

Find the following line: "COPY /Y %~dp0\x64\WindowsSetup_x64.exe %TEMP%\MOUNT\Windows\system32\WindowsSetup_x86.exe"

Edit the line toward the end where it says "WindowsSetup_x86.exe" to read "WindowsSetup_x64.exe"

Save the file and rerun it to rebuild the correct iso.

Hope this helps.

7. nobodyin

nobodyin MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2011
    Thank you. That solved the problem.

8. nobodyin

nobodyin MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2011
    #28 nobodyin, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    Does anybody know if sushil1576 is still going to make improvements? He has not posted on this subject during the months of September, October, November, and December.

9. DanielCollinet

DanielCollinet MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    Unfortunately this is not working for me. I am using a hard drive(usb). After formating partition c:\ I am getting an error"setup is unable to locate partition...".
    But thx for the input. I am using the method from rebootpro. To include $oem$ via your file(exe) was very nice.

10. DanielCollinet

DanielCollinet MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    @sushil1576
    It would be very kind if you could share your knowledge about how to integrate $oem$ folder on other locations. How did you do that?

thx

11. sushil1576

Jul 3, 2009
    Already Shared buddy....well i am not interested in more coding work as it is just a hobby for me and i am not a developer as such..so if anyone wants any more details for further improving this project they are very much welcome to take over the project...thanks..

12. sushil1576

Jul 3, 2009
    Also updated the download link after rectifying the reported errors...so i think it should work correctly now..