Windows Small Business Server 2008 SLP Keys

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by colinr, Oct 20, 2008.

1. kanga202

kanga202 MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2008
    So im guessing this is only working on a DELL server??

What about IBM, Does anyone have an OEM key for that?

Ta

2. rosewood

rosewood MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    You may be able to patch in the bios and go that route?

3. grant

grant MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2009
    #43 grant, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  4. The.Watcher

The.Watcher MDL Junior Member

Apr 7, 2008
    So in essense, I can install the PREMIUM trial, use my ASUS.XRM-MS file with the key from above and everything will be dandy? :D

5. motofreak75

motofreak75 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2008
    try it out and tell us if it does.

I don't think the DELL key will work with ASUS.XRM-MS/SLIC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. OleBent

OleBent MDL Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Did a test here on a Asus P5K E board with a slic modded bios and the asus.xrm-ms cert + the nice key from this thread.....

Guess what...... Activated!!

7. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    the keys are interchangable, they are not OEM specific like with XP, 2003. All Windows 6 keys for a certain OS will work with any cert as long as there is a SLIC in the BIOS, and a cert is installed.

8. The.Watcher

The.Watcher MDL Junior Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Nice to know. ;) Thought so. Will try it later when I have some free time.

9. testuser12

testuser12 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2009
    has anyone managed to install SBS2008 with a wireless PCI card instead of a internet cable connected?

my server currently runs on a wifi pci slot to get a internet connection.

during the install of SBS2008 i can't finish installation because it requires a internet cable to be plugged.

is there a work-around for this? and let it work on wifi?

10. TheOneAndOnly

TheOneAndOnly MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2007
    #50 TheOneAndOnly, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
    -=UPDATE=-

I was able to find the other disks, now just need to find OEM keys for Windows Essential Business Server.

The torrents I find are all dead, and was only able to get the one from UseNet and the others from RapidShare.

-Microsoft.Windows.Essential.Business.Server.2008.Standard.and.Premium.Managment.Server.Installation.x64.DVD1
    -Microsoft.Windows.Essential.Business.Server.2008.Standard.and.Premium.Security.Server.Installation.x64.DVD2
    -Microsoft.Windows.Essential.Business.Server.2008.Standard.and.Premium.Messaging.Server.Installation.x64.DVD3
    -Microsoft.Windows.Essential.Business.Server.2008.Standard.and.Premium.Prerequisite.Planning.Tools.x64.ISO

There might be others

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. pb123

pb123 MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2009
    Installation Problems

I have been trying to install SBS 2008 for awhile now with no luck

the installation only gets to 35 percent of the extraction process then faults out with some files are missing error

I have downloaded the install DVD several times from several sources and still the same thing.

Can someone shine some light on the matter Please am i doing something wrong

Thanks in advance

12. OleBent

OleBent MDL Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Did a test with the Dell key and Asus cert on an Asus P5Q-EM with modded 1605 bios,

Works as well....

13. OleBent

OleBent MDL Member

Aug 22, 2007
    You could try burning your install media at lowest possible speed and let the burner app do a verification after the burn.

14. rosewood

rosewood MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Shift-F10 during the install brings up the command prompt. From there you can run explorer, etc. and get the drivers installed and get connected.

15. carl0s

carl0s MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2009
    #55 carl0s, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
    Can anybody suggest a reason why this is not working for me?

What's even more confusing is that I have two Dell PowerEdge T300s here, one that shipped with SBS 2008 Std, pre-installed with the same 76GGM key as you guys found, and another machine that didn't ship with SBS.

I installed SBS 2008 on the second machine using the Dell Systems Build CD & the Dell-branded non-bootable SBS 2008 DVD. I expected the OS to therefore be pre-activated from first bootup, but it was not. It's saying I have a 60-day grace period.

I used a tool called ABR (activation backup/restore), which looks to me like it just extracts the cert and key, much like you guys are doing manually, and then restores them. This has made no difference. Comparing the certificate that this ABR program created shows it's the same as the one you guys have.

I tried using the files from your posts anyway, and have the same problem - I am in the 60 day grace period and when I go to activate I am told that the product key needs to be changed.. i.e. the system is installed with an SLP key and I must change it to an OEM key.

Any ideas folks? Could the Dell-supplied disk be a strange OEM one or something?

SLIC shows DELL PE_SC3 like it should.
    cheers,
    Carl

edit: Oh, it's OK, I see the problem.. d'oh:
    Anybody know a workaround?

16. carl0s

carl0s MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2009
    Am going to try the asset/svctag stuff now. I already have the Happy Dell Files from a long time ago, hopefully they'll be compatible.

What a great forum this is ;-)

17. carl0s

carl0s MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2009
    Well, you guys rock. I've learned something great here today! Thanks a million.
    I've been using Dell, HP & Acer OEM XP Pro disks for years to replace Home edition with Pro etc., and I knew they were BIOS locked but I'd never heard of this SLIC table before, and I certainly didn't know unlicensed Dell machines came with that part of the BIOS masked/hidden.

Up until recently I've been using VLKs of '03. I was a bit stuck with '08.

I'm a happy bunny. Thanks very much.

18. mangocat1

mangocat1 MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    Anyone have any luck using the Dell OEM key on a non Dell system? My motherboard is a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H... running a trial version of SBS 2008.

19. rosewood

rosewood MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Yes - you just need to use the same hacks that we used to get Vista activated. So use the Dell SLP certificate to hack your bios or use one of the bios loaders (don't do this). Once you do that, Windows thinks you have a Dell as so far as the license is concerned.

20. mangocat1

mangocat1 MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    Thanks for the quick response. I was able to fumble through it! :D