Windows SP3 Problem in Windows XP Media Center Edition

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Big Dave, May 8, 2008.

1. Big Dave

Big Dave MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2008
    #1 Big Dave, May 8, 2008
    Last edited: May 9, 2008
    I have a Compaq Presario SR1750NX

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor
    1GB PC3200 DDR Memory
    200GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Integrated Graphics with 128MB Shared Memory
    Windows XP Media Center 2005

I have Updates enabled. Today I decided to update to SP3. After installing the update the system wouldn't boot. All I got was a black screen with the following options:
    Some paragraphs saying that last time windows didn't shutdown correctly some, some, some. and the it ask u what do you want to do.Then

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with networking
    Safe Mode with command prompt
    Last known working startup
    Boot windows normally.

I tried these 2 options:
    Boot windows normally

After I picked either of those options the system would just cycle back to
    the black screen with the same options of u know:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with networking
    Safe Mode with command prompt
    Boot windows normally

I finally booted in Safe Mode. Thats where I am Right now. But is running a little bit slow it freezes up a little bit. Can some one tell me how to fix this. Please? Im going fu!@#$% crazy up in here.

PS. I do not know if this has anything to do with it, but Im running 3 OSs

Windows XP Media Center Edition (my default one)
    Windows Vista
    Ubntu 8.04

Well after SP3 was finished u know it ask me to restart it so I did. But everytime the PC restart it displayed the OSs I have and from there u decide to go where ever u want to go. Well after the restart happened accidentally when into Ubuntu and then I went back to XP and thats where everything happened. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

2. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    First, uninstall SP3 in control panel

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Big Dave

Big Dave MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2008
    #3 Big Dave, May 10, 2008
    Last edited: May 10, 2008
    (OP)
    After I posted this I found out that l, like offon744 said, I just could uninstall SP3 and everything would go back to normal. Now in my desperation I messed up my computer even more. Here is the story. First I followed this

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, use the Windows XP Recovery Console to replace the RPCRT4.dll file with the original version. To do this, follow these steps:
    Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer's CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.

NOTE: Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For information about how to modify BIOS, see your computer documentation.
    At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Press the number key that corresponds to the installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
    Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.
    With the Windows XP CD-ROM still in the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:
    cd system32
    ren RPCRT4.dll RPCRT4.old
    CD-ROM_or_DVD-ROM_Drive_Letter:
    cd \i386
    expand RPCRT4.dl_ BootDriveLetter:\windows\system32
    exit

But I thought this guy was talking about the Recovery CDs I made of my computer. Well I accidentally start installing the system and I shutdown the PC. After I restart the PC I tried to go to Safe Mode With Networking, because it work for me before, I did this and it did not let me into Safe mode,It says:

"Windows could not start because of an error in the software
    Load needed DLLs for kernel"

Note: before I did this I went to Recovery Console and it showed
    D/:MiNT (or somthing like that)
    C/:windows

and after I tried to fix the PC with the Recovery Dvds it showed like this
    D/:MiNT (or somthing like that)
    J/:Windows.

And now is just showing the this
    d/:MiNT (or somthing like that)

Now I because I did not receive a Windows XP CD-ROM when I bought my PC I download one. After I restart the PC with Windows XP CD in, I wen to Recovery Console to try to fix it, but when I choose a letter it ask me for a password. Note: I do not use a password in my PC so when it ask me for one I simply hit enter, but it says "Incorrect password.

Does anyone has an idea how to solve this. My last option is reinstalled XP, because I do not want to loose all my data. Even though I have an slave hard drive, it is not enough space in it to fit all my Music, movie, downloads, pics etc.. So please I need your help.

4. Lady_Kathryn

Lady_Kathryn MDL Novice

May 20, 2008
    #4 Lady_Kathryn, May 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
    Problems with xp sp3 in media center.

I have a Compaq Presario SR1750NX

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor
    1GB PC3200 DDR Memory
    200GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Integrated Graphics with 128MB Shared Memory
    Windows XP Media Center 2005

Ok This is your problem Right here. Not that it is a media center, but that it is an AMD. I had the same problem. I fixed it very quickly in safe mode by restoring it to an earlier date. Like right before I started. I made a save point called just in case this is ****. What happens is that in SP3 the driver they install on your AMD processer Is Intel. Nice one huh. To get SP3 go to compaq's site, and get a small update for this problem, and then go get your update.

Regards

Lady_Kathryn