Windows Technical Preview Installation Problem Legacy BIOS+MBR

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Abhishek Anand, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    University of Missouri, 1965, computer programming training for gifted students - a whole two weeks. I had to have emergency surgery during the second week and was actually glad to get the heck out of there. Never have trusted computers. :D

If I had the laptop which is having such terrible problems installing Windows TP and really felt I had to install it, I would first reset the bios to default settings, then zero out the hard drive. I would make absolutely certain I had a good download of the TP and a good, clean flash drive. I would use Rufus to set up the flash drive using the good TP iso to make the flash drive bootable. There must be a key during boot up to select the USB flash drive, then install Windows 10 TP. Select the unpartitioned space to install and let 'er rip.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I sense a hard drive problem. It is time to backup your important data and start planning to replace it.

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Why not try to install it using imagex from a working operating system ?

I'ts way faster, and you skip the bootable removable media problem, completely.

Just search for something like "imagex install.wim"

5. KnowledgeableNewbie

KnowledgeableNewbie MDL Member

Sep 30, 2014
    #246 KnowledgeableNewbie, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    What the hell. I'm in. To old to use them anyways. :mad:

6. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    #247 Simple07, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    I have installed both 64 and 32 bit Windows TP when first appeared on an HP M6, having received the update (one Tuesday night) I lost the mouse pointer at the multi boot menu when using the touchpad, but it works with a normal mouse!! I have problems with MS inbuilt Virtual Machine and with installing Oracle VirtualBox on either.

Has Microsoft released a new compilation of the DVDs or do we have to accumulate the fixes of the fixes ?

BTW, the new style of pop into your face dialogue boxes where interesting in the beginning, but they became annoying after a while. I prefer the move fast but softly settle in position.

7. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    I already have it set as GPT, my issue is that the Touchpad pointer does not show but a normal Mouse does. Also, the update was performed online!! The other issue about virtualization has been confirmed and reported.

The 9880 update is expected any time soon. I hope they will fix much of the issues.

9. Jeet Chowdhury

Jeet Chowdhury MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2008
    Samsung got worst driver and support i have ever seen. I am using Samsung NP-RV509-A0CIN laptop... I am having same problem on windows 10 install. So I thought that maybe I need to upgrade my RAM. So I purchased a 4 GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM. After installing that RAM my laptop. My laptop is not booting windows anymore.... Samsung don't even release update for their BIOS. I just lost my money for buying RAM.

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  11. Jeet Chowdhury

Jun 28, 2008
    #252 Jeet Chowdhury, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Thank you sir for your reply. I was having 2 GB of RAM and the Windows 10 installation freezing at windows logo screen. So i decided to upgrade my RAM to 6 GB by buying a another 4GB stick of RAM.

So I have purchased a HP 4 GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz for my Laptop which is Samsung NP-RV509-A0CIN. After installing this RAM into my laptop. My laptop show the 4 GB + 2 GB RAM on system BIOS but it is not booting windows or anything just showing a black screen. So I downloaded and ran MemTest86+ from my Ubuntu disk and every time it is scanning the memory for errors the system restart with some rainbow color effect after few seconds....

Then I removed the 4GB stick and using the only 2GB OEM stick and I can boot into Windows 8.1 perfectly... Though I cannot install windows 10.

So, I contacted Samsung support and they have no clue about 4GB RAM and my laptop model number. Is there anyway so i can use my new 4GB RAM with my laptop... By doing some BIOS update or something like that?

Update 1: I Just ran the application link you provided it show me i have 04PB version installed. And 07PB is available for update. I clicked on update... It is now restarting my system.... I will let you know what happen after update.

Update 2: After updating the bios i have inserted the 4 GB stick. Same problem as before. No operating system loads even MemTest86+ failed. I have make and uploaded this video over youtube for better understanding... Have a look: youtu.be/UwSZE79gxvs

12. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    #253 pauldamo, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    if the computer is in uefi mode you usually have to switch your bios too legacy mode first,if you are for eg. changing a gpu,i think it is the same for memory,after you have booted in legacy,and you have installed the memory you can then turn off computer then change it back to uefi if you want.

13. Jeet Chowdhury

Jun 28, 2008
    Steps that i have done.... Inserted A Blank HDD on my Laptop (256 GB SSD)... Inserted The New RAM.....

Turned On The Laptop... Just A Black Screen When Try To load OS From CD/USB....

Changed The RAM With 2 GB Old one... Laptop booting normally.

14. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    sounds like the new ram is bust, RMA it and have them send you a new stick.

15. Jeet Chowdhury

Jun 28, 2008
    Ok brother... Already send that RAM for replacement today... :)