Windows Technical Preview Installation Problem Legacy BIOS+MBR

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Abhishek Anand, Oct 11, 2014.

1. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    anybody out there who gave a big round of applause for our most valued member arsen92 who brings it to the point ... mostly ... no .... all the time :worthy:

2. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Ah, a very important point that you forgot to mention!! I never use Minitool from within Windows OS. I always boot from DVD, and choose option #2, Boot to Safe Mode. So, yes, that could be why you got that message earlier from Minitool, and it refused to convert the drive to GPT.

So, boot from a DVD, and give it a shot. But like I said, one way or another, at some point in time, you'll have to delete partion C: and leave it Unallocated to do the Win10 TP install. I believe the reason you can boot with 8.1 and not with 10 is because 10 TP wants to be put on a GPT drive. When I installed to one of my laptops, it refused to install until I converted the disk to GPT. After that, it went like clockwork.

Another thing, I was going through some notes I had made when I repaired and upgraded another computer, and I found that I had to disable PXE OPROM to get an install done. You might consider trying to do that if you keep getting negative results. It's not going to hurt anything to disable it for a while.

Chaser

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Why do I get the feeling that you are being obtuse? :rolleyes:

I believe it's just another example of what I said earlier, he/she has one way of doing something, while most others have another way of doing something. The important point to realize is the fact that many roads lead to the same place, and some people prefer one road over another.

Geez, now I'm being obtuse... :fear:

Chaser

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. xomniversex

xomniversex MDL Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Because most people prefer convenient and fast GUIs over lengthy and time consuming command line interfaces.

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    actually, I don't believe Paul was being obtuse, rather pointing out that Arseny always has a useful and well placed post. MVP of MDL indeed

6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Try another hard disk, please. This is not about partition scheme problem any more. I think your hard disk is behaving funny.

7. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    In that case, I have learned something, and I recant my statement. It just seemed to me at the time that I read his post, that he was giving instructions and suggestions to someone who struggles to use even Rufus. I probably should have stood back, and looked at the big picture, that he was only attempting to teach the OP another method operand i.

Lesson learned.

Chaser

8. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Hey Abhishek, I just read something VERY interesting, that may help you out greatly!! Matter of fact, it might help out more people than just you. Here is a copy/paste of some information I found regarding installation of Windows 10 TP:

"Yes, I installed a UEFI upgrade of 8.1-10TP in-place right from the mounted .ISO in an 8.1 boot. Worked flawlessly. Then, just to try out a theory, I did it again, only this time it was a 10TP-10TP in-place *reinstall* right from the 10TP mounted .ISO...;) I wanted to confirm that I could do a "repair reinstall" of Win10 just like it works in Win8.1, and it works! No need for "Refresh" since the in-place "reinstall" preserves all of your personal files, programs & settings, unlike Refresh (but exactly like an in-place upgrade.) The end result here is exactly what happens in WinXP when you do a "repair reinstall," except you don't need to boot from the install media like we had to in XP to do a repair reinstall.

It's a terrific feature of both 8.1 & 10TP, and Microsoft should be more forthcoming about the "other use" for running an in-place upgrade right from the target boot . IMO, "refresh or reset" should only be used when your Windows install is so broken that an in-place reinstall of the OS just won't work."

Now to me, that's the way to go. I wish I had known about this when I did my last install of Windows 10 TP. I wouldn't have had to re-install my favorite 3rd party programs, none of that. Of course, there would probably have been a couple of programs that didn't work anymore, but all in all, this sounds like the way to go.

So, if when you come back to the forum here, and if you've not been able to install Win10 yet, why not give this method a try? I think it will work fine for your situation, don't you??

Chaser

9. KnowledgeableNewbie

KnowledgeableNewbie MDL Member

Sep 30, 2014
    sorry to read about your problems. don't know if you've had any luck, but here are my suggestions, for what they're worth. there are so many variables involved here that without having the physical computer or teamviewer it's almost impossible to come up with a 100% fix. i have this problem all the time with people trying to fix their computers over the phone, success of fixes depends on amount of knowledge. some are easier than others. first i would google the error code you got. plenty of examples going back to 8.1. next i would disable the pxe oprom, from what i read it is only needed for a network boot. next i would disable or uninstall any third party security apps ( antivirus, cleaners, firewalls, etc. ) that can be reinstalled after a successful upgrade. for now stick with the mbr. i wouldn't do a convert to gpt unless you have a backup of all your important data. as far as the HD problem suggested, it's possible but i doubt it, unless you have a virus or malware problem. also try installing from a DVD instead of a thumbdrive. some are known to have problems. these are only a few suggestions. remember this is only a Preview, so why go through the hassle of backing up and using it as a primary OS. if anything happens down the road with a bad update or such you may loose everything. gl in your quest. hope all works out.

10. Abhishek Anand

Abhishek Anand MDL Junior Member

Apr 7, 2013
    #50 Abhishek Anand, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    (OP)
    Hello Everyone,

First thanks a lot for trying to help me out on my problem.

I have some problem with my Broadband today. That's why couldn't visit the thread. It should get fixed by today. I'm using my mobile to post this.

One more update on my problem:

I got my entire D and E backedup on my Ext 2TB HDD and then converted the whole laptop's 500GB disk to GPT by booting from a Windows 8.1 x64 flashable usb drive (prepared with GPT partition scheme for UEFI sysyems using rufus) and using diskpart through cmd line command

list disk
    select disk 0
    clean
    convert gpt

And then I created new set of partitions c, d & e and then got Windows 8.1 x64 installed freshly on the 65GB C drive.

Once everything got installed well, I tried to boot again from a Win10TP bootable flash drive created with same settings as was for Win 8.1 i.e GPT partition scheme for UEFI computers.

And guess what, It failed again. Yes. Even I'm shocked.

After all this trials I can conclude for there are three types of fail results two of them depends only on the option what I select for UEFI Boot Support Enabled/Disabled in Bios Settings before trying to boot from the bootable Win10 usb drive:

Generic Settings that I have tried:

Filesystem of the Laptop's Disk drive: MBR as well as GPT now(same fail cases in both)

A. When File System was MBR, Options I tried

a. For bootable USB Flash Drive creation:
    Using Rufus: MBR partition scheme for Bios or UEFI Computers and NTFS/Fat32
    MBR partition scheme for UEFI Computers and Fat32

Other Bios Settings:
    EDB: Enabled (Its a mandatory requirement I believe)
    AHCI: Auto Mode,
    (When disbaled there was some boot problem, so I kept it on Auto.Besides on its description it says, Its Enabled for Win Vista,7,8 and Auto disabled for Win XP)
    PXE OPROM: Enabled/Disabled (tried for both one by one)
    : (Don't think makes any difference as far as my problem is conserned.)

B. When File System is GPT, Options I tried

a. For bootable USB Flash Drive creation:
    Using Rufus: GPT partition scheme for UEFI Computers and Fat32

b. Other Bios Settings: Same as above.

Fail result I. When UEFI Boot Support Disabled

First Screen: WIndows Logo without the animating cursor. And It will stay at this screen. No further action.

Then I will have to do force shutdown, remove the flash drive from the USB. And then restart the laptop. It will boot properly to the exusting Windows 8.1 pro x64. Everything back to where I started.

Fail Result II: When UEFI Boot Support Enabled in Bios Settings
    This time No Windows Logo Appears, the first screen that I get is:
    First Screen: Loading Files... This will continue to the end and then next screen would be
    Next Screen: Simple Black Screen with No action. And It'll stay like this at this screen.

Then again I have to force shutdown my lappi, remove the pendrive and start the lappi, and everything back to where I was.

Fail Result III: Whenever trying to Upgrade from Windows 8.1 x64 by simply mounting the Win10TP iso and then running the setup.exe
    When I try to install simply by clicking setup.exe in the usb flash drive created above, it starts installing asks what to keep like personal files.. And goes till 88% after which it says system will restart in few moments and then it restarts for the first time while restarting it stucks at the windows logo itself and doesn't proceed further, I waited for 10 mins there bit still remains stuck, so did force reboot using power button and then laptop starts previous Windows 8.1 and then says
    "We could not Install Windows Technical Preview.
    We have set your PC back to the way it was right before intalling Windows Technical Preview
    0xC1900101-0x20017"

11. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
    #51 Abhishek Anand, Oct 12, 2014
    (OP)
    Chaser,

Sorry, I'm little slow in catching up things :p and so is I'm not very clear with the process mentioned as per the statements:

Are we talking about doing up-gradation from Windows 8.1 to Win10TP by
    first mounting the Win10 iso within Windows 8.1 running and then clicking on setup.exe inside the mounted drive.. Please help me with this.

Update: My Broadband is back to normal :)

12. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
    Thank you for the reply.

I was wondering if you could tell the steps that we are talking about in the below statements:
    I'm on GPT filesystem with Win 8.1 x64 installed rite now (tried converting from MBR to GPT in hope to find success but not..No issues, will kepp trying :)) so how should I proceed further on installing the Win10 from here.

Also, when should I do this,
    I use Rufus tool to prepare the flash drive.
    Earlier I used to use simply the diskpart utility to do that by using the following commands:
    list disk, select disk 3, clean, active, create partition primary, format fs=fat32 quick, assign, exit

13. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #53 murphy78, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You can also change to gpt partitioning by adding the convert gpt command in diskpart:
    Code:
    list disk
    select disk 3
    clean
    convert gpt
    create partition primary
    format fs=fat32 quick label="Some Drive Label"
    assign
    exit

14. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    @ Abhishek Anand

You are having a hardware problem. Don't use the existing Windows 8.1 running on your system to define this case. I have come across a situation where existing Windows work with little lags but failed to accept clean installation only to find out that the hard disk is faulty.

From my little understanding, it is time to look into your RAM and hard disk. I think all avenues to forestall your Windows 10 Technical Preview installation have been exhausted. It is now time to have a look into the hardware.

15. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Welcome back, and glad to hear your broadband is normal again! Basically, yes, you are correct. Don't even use the USB drive at all, just mount the .iso image from within Windows 8.1, then go the the mounted drive, and open it with Windows Explorer and click on setup.exe. That is what the other fellow was saying, that it worked just fine from within Win8.1 while it was active, and it saved his programs and settings.

The last part of his information was just a test he did to see if he could do the same thing, once he had Win10 TP up and running, and he said it worked fine also. Better than using Refresh or Restore, because you keep your programs and settings.

So, now that you have Windows 8.1 back up and running, don't do anything to the bios, and from within the 8.1 OS just mount the TP .iso file, navigate to it, and double click on setup.exe. See if you get the same results that he did.

You have tried a LOT of other things, this might just work for you!

Chaser

16. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
    Hadron, I really don't think that there is any problem with my Laptop's HDD or the USB PenDrive/Flash Drive that I'm using.
    As I said if that had to, that should come along while I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 x64 pro.
    Infact since the last 3-4 days while trying to install Win10TP; I have installed Win8.1 x64 twice and that too fresh install both times.

1st time It was simply : deleting C drive and then creating it againg and installing Win8.1 on this during Custom Installation step.
    2nd time: I converted the entire disk to GPT filesystem from MBR and then created the partitions again and then installed Win8.1 back on C afterfailing to install WIn10TP even on GPT.

Even I'm so confused what is the problem but its definitely not HDD.

17. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
    #57 Abhishek Anand, Oct 12, 2014
    (OP)
    Chaser,
    Thanks for replying.
    Besides, This option I have been trying since first day. I have mentioned in OP also. Additionally, I have mentioned it back 2-3 posts. This is the third Failing scenario that I face. here is the snippet from the post. besides, I would request you to give a look on the post where I discuused about the three fail scenarios I'm repeatedly coming across. we might find a clue from this.

18. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
  19. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I must have missed that. It was my understanding that you have been using a USB flash drive each and every time you attempted an install of TP. Am I wrong about that? Are you saying you actually did just mount the .iso file from within the 8.1 OS, then double clicked on setup.exe on that mounted drive. No USB flash drive used at all when you tried that?

20. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Try installing using only the mounted .iso file first. IF that doesn't work, try to disable Secure Boot from within your bios settings, then try to install using the .iso file again. That might do the trick.

Chaser