Windows Technical Preview Installation Problem Legacy BIOS+MBR

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Abhishek Anand, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Abhishek Anand

Abhishek Anand MDL Junior Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Yes I have tried this. Exactly this, when I was on MBR file system.

You know what, I even downloaded WindowsTechnicalPreview-x64-EN-GB.iso directly from Microsoft website and then tried everything with this also, but results were the same, Every bit same. faced the three fail scenarios(discussed earlier) in all trials.

Though I'm going to try installing from the mounted iso even from GPT partition now, but I'm so depressed that I really don't think It's gonna work. :(

2. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
    Started with the Mounted iso :)
    Shall share the update....

3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Didn't mention you have done that? When it gets to 80% and Windows start to revert the process.

4. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    He did say that, however, it was from his old Win8.1 installation. He is now using a brand new, fresh install of 8.1, so we shall see if that makes any difference when he posts back again..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
    Ok guys, No succes even with this. I tried to install directly from the mounted iso. It again went to 88% as it used to in earlier trials before notifying that Windows will restart in few moments and when restarted, Its giving a Static Black Screen with, so had to force restart again.

When I booted back to Win 8.1, after logging in got a black screen with cursor available, I could access my Task Manager using CTRL ALT DEL option.. I then went to lockscreen uaing Windows + L keyword and then went to choose restart option, but the option available there was Update and Restart.

So, might be since it was a fresh Windows 8.1 install its getting lots of updates. currently it says Installing update 39 of 45. Huh

... Posting from my mobile

6. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
  7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Sorry to say this to you that I am still concerned about something relating to hardware issues. My advice to you is to try to change the RAM and Hard Disk you have there and try to do the installation again(if you can have your hand on another RAM and Hard Disk).

8. arseny92

arseny92 MDL Secret Weapon

Sep 22, 2009
    #69 arseny92, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

Attached Files:

9. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #70 Hadron-Curious, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    That is done by the partitioning scheme of those bootable USB creating utilities and which he has done before. To conclude it all, this is getting beyond partitioning or converting a HDD and making it active. I think the trouble at this point is emanating from hardware related issues.

10. arseny92

Sep 22, 2009
    #71 arseny92, Oct 12, 2014
    The only question is if these utilities did wrote the bootsector correctly. The default is bootsect /nt60 drive: without /force /mbr . And here is the problem, because writing the bootsector in default mode is
    • not forced. To write disk bootcode, a volume needs to be temporarily dismounted for direct exclusive volume access first, a thing the /force switch cares of. Also this can fail when you have the USB open in e.g. Explorer window. Do this while Explorer is in This PC.
    • not written to the master boot record of the disk, but to the volume boot record of the partition on the storage device (VBR). The /mbr switch takes care to writing the bootsector into the master boot record of the mass storage device.

11. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    That is a good question. I admire your vast understanding of deploying Windows OS with bootable USB. My little understanding of his problem is that the same process has worked for him and has used it to installed previous Windows 8.1 more that twice in a role during the Windows 10 TP issue.

However, I don't know if those utilities used for creating bootable USB usually add /force /mbr parameter to the process. My understanding is there are different partitioning schemes and those utilities usually offer them. He stated clearly he has tried all in the process of finding solution to the problem.

a) Usually the utility dismounts the USB before formatting and remounting it. Possibly, that is not what I am seeing is the problem in this case. The /force parameter is only an option when using the tools , I guess.

a) He has tried both though. Using the FAT32 partitioning to write the MBR to the BIOS and can do installation half way and use the GPT to write to the HDD without any thing coming up than blank screen. Above all, he's still experiencing the same problem.

I think there is something wrong along the line with getting the hdd to communicate with the bootsec and other Windows files loading process. Another thing I would be interested to see is testing the same bootable USB on a different system.

12. arseny92

Sep 22, 2009
    #73 arseny92, Oct 12, 2014
    UEFI/GPT partition on the HDD do not use boot sectors when EFI booting and do not require active partition to be set. UEFI scan the drive for existence of the EFI system partition then simply run \efi\boot\bootx64.efi off it, which cares for the rest, starting bootmgfw.efi and bootmgr.efi. The MBR option applies only to the install media, for it to be able to boot on all systems in both BIOS/UEFI boot modes off the device boot menu

------------------------

The above manual installation applies to UEFI/GPT partitions on the HDD setup. In case one wants to follow the same, but for BIOS/MBR mode, the following apply:

Code:
    X:\Sources> diskpart

DISKPART> list disk
    DISKPART> list vol
    DISKPART> select disk 0
    DISKPART> clean
    DISKPART> convert mbr
    DISKPART> create partition primary size=350
    DISKPART> format quick fs=ntfs
    DISKPART> assign letter="T"
    DISKPART> set id="27"
    DISKPART> create partition primary size=350
    DISKPART> assign letter="S"
    DISKPART> active
    DISKPART> create partition primary
    DISKPART> assign letter="C"
    DISKPART> exit

X:\Sources> dism /apply-image /imagefile:E:sources\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\
    X:\Sources> md T:\Recovery\WindowsRE
    X:\Sources> copy C:\Windows\system32\Recovery\winre.wim T:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim
    X:\Sources> bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-US /s S: /f BIOS /v
    X:\Sources> attrib T:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim -h -s -r
    X:\Sources> C:\Windows\System32\reagentc /setreimage /path T:\Recovery\WindowsRE /target C:\Windows
    X:\Sources> attrib T:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim +h +s +r
    X:\Sources> shutdown -r -f -t 00
    ***Remove the USB, boot from disk 0, proceeding to entering product key and OOBE***

Basically the only differences here is that utility partitions in MBR are denominated as id=27 , that you make the system boot partition active to be able to boot it in MBR , and that there are no EFI or MSR partitions.

13. arseny92

Sep 22, 2009
    Also lol by the way. Sometimes when you try to boot, it can fail to detect the default monitor in certain configurations, and present the installer or OOBE on the wrong screen. Resulting in the computer operating in presenter mode with the default monitor blank. While actually outputting the picture to other outputs, e.g. HDMI. Connect all the graphic card's outputs to something just in case and check them all while installing.

14. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
    #75 Abhishek Anand, Oct 12, 2014
    (OP)

Attached Files:

15. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    #76 ChaserLee, Oct 12, 2014
    Abhishek, my friend, at this point, I'm going to let the senior members attempt to guide you to a successful installation of TP on your computer. I will be reading each and every post, in the hopes that I can learn something new, while you are going through these trials. I did my best to be of assistance, and I have different thoughts than some of the senior members do about your situation, but at this point, it's prudent for me to just stand back and watch, listen, and try to learn. You know that old saying about too many cooks spoil the stew?? Well, I'm one too many cooks at the moment, so I'll be on the side watching your progress, yes?

I have a feeling the outcome will be quite surprising.

And of course, I wish you all the luck and success there is to be had!!!! I'll chime in again towards the end of this epic adventure of yours, but for now, as I say, I'll just be watching.....

I will close with one comment. Notice at the very top of your friends screenshot of his BIOS screen. Notice the state of his Secure Boot setting...... I believe I said something about that earlier, yes?

Chaser

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. arseny92

Sep 22, 2009
    #77 arseny92, Oct 12, 2014
    Very interesting indeed. Now since the install media is not the problem, something seem to be wrong on the PC. Just in case: did you check other video outputs per above?

The UEFI settings seem to be ok, though there is one more catch: does it provide you an option to disable SecureBoot? Since Windows 10 is pre-release, it cannot be used with SecureBoot with the production keys. If there is no option to disable SecureBoot, then unfortunately you'll have to boot the install media in non-UEFI mode and do a MBR install.

17. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    try removing this then try... i see no reason for it to be there...
    and then I also applied the bootsect /nt60 drive: /force /mbr

I have installed via USB Bootable on both UEFI system and MBR system with no issues...

18. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    @Abhishek Anand
    Have you tried with a spare HDD already?
    Sometimes (and I talk by my own experience) a faulty HDD turns out to be the culprit (a strange failure)

19. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
    #80 Abhishek Anand, Oct 12, 2014
    (OP)