Windows Technical Preview Installation Problem Legacy BIOS+MBR

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Abhishek Anand, Oct 11, 2014.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    While he is away trying once more to install TP, I'd like to make a comment/question about your above statement. Something I've wondered about every time I install TP. And that is, I never, ever, get asked to enter the key that MS provides with the download of the .iso. I never/ever get an opportunity to enter that key code. After installation is done, and the system is up and running, I go to the Control Panel/System and open it, and it informs me that windows is activated and provides a Product ID.

Have you had the chance to enter the provided key during installation?

Chaser

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Delete the pid.txt in the sources folder :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Abhishek Anand

Abhishek Anand MDL Junior Member

Apr 7, 2013
  4. arseny92

arseny92 MDL Secret Weapon

Sep 22, 2009
    #84 arseny92, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    Good luck. However as pointed out earlier, to perform manual installation you need to do so from Preinstallation Environment, and that means booting the USB, a thing which fails per what you stated above

If Windows 8.1 install media works fine and boots to Setup, there is one more trick you can try:
    1. Put Windows 8.1 installation files to the media
    2. Replace install.wim with that of Windows 10
    3. Boot the media. At this point I'd not recommend going with the GUI route, because older Setup might fail to correctly detect entries in the new WIM. Therefore right on the Install now screen go to Shift+F10 and deploy manually as specified.

With SecureBoot production keys I meant the production certificates for SecureBoot that are embedded in UEFI 2.3.1 and later. Not Windows edition product keys, which are a completely different thing.

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It is great to know you are gradually inching closer to where the real issue is, that is, the HDD. Not until you are able to load the Windows system files and other useful Windows files and expand them the major issue is going to come at that point in time. I might not be completely correct but I am still banking on the problem with the hardware.

6. arseny92

Sep 22, 2009
    Nope, that's the classic password on boot option. Seems that your firmware does not provide SecureBoot options.

7. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
    #87 Abhishek Anand, Oct 12, 2014
    (OP)

Attached Files:

8. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
    So, does that mean SecureBoot is Non of the concern then in my scenario ?? i'm wondering. :confused:

9. arseny92

Sep 22, 2009
    #89 arseny92, Oct 12, 2014
    Boot from Sandisk, then once there, go to Shift+F10, prepare partitioning, but for dism etc, read the install.wim off the HP v220w ;)

It might be the concern if the manufacturer actually support SecureBoot but locked it enabled without providing a way to disable it by the end user.

10. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
    Exactly, on my way to it.
    Going to start that rite away.
    Will keep posting updates :)

M really excited...;)

11. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I can understand and accept that. The question remains.... do you ever get the opportunity to enter the product key while installing Windows 10 TP at any time? I never have.....

12. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

13. arseny92

Sep 22, 2009
    Use list vol in diskpart to verify drive letters. It is not always obvious which device is which, when booted in PE.

14. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    To what end?

Chaser

15. Abhishek Anand

Apr 7, 2013
    If thats the case, how should I check and where should I encounter its effect...
    Can it create a problem while doing the command prompt way of Win10 installation..

One more point:
    If Secure Boot is a criteri for Win10 then when they released Windows 8 developer preview and Consumer preview , Even these should have the check for Secure Boot.

Because, I am using Win 8 since Windows Developer Preview days and I installed these on this laptop itself. did not face any such problem.

16. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Two ways on Windows ISOs to circumvent the key prompt: pid.txt and ei.cfg :cool2:. In that file is the Retail Key for the Pro Preview placed.

Delete the file and you will be asked for a key.

17. arseny92

Sep 22, 2009
    This file predefines the key for not be asked for. When pid.txt is not there, the key is being asked to enter

18. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Just a Yes, or No would do me fine. I'm talking about during install, not after install. I have been entering the key by using the System screen, and clicking on change Product Key.

I only want to know if you, or anyone gets the chance to enter that key during TP install, just like you would do if you were installing XP, 7, or 8.1 . I hope I expressed my question correctly this time. Not trying to be difficult, just trying to learn, is all. Thanks.

Chaser

19. arseny92

Sep 22, 2009
    #99 arseny92, Oct 12, 2014
    Did you install WDP/CP/RP in UEFI, or BIOS? Did you upgraded the firmware since?

Default for Windows Technical Preview is to not ask the key.

20. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    If you delete the PID.KEY then it does not enter the default KEY for Professional.. and you have the option to enter a Core Key then you can test CORE or Consumer
    Image Index: 1
    -------------------
    Name:Windows Technical Preview
    Description:Windows Technical Preview
    Flags:Professional
    Files:85886
    Folders:18526
    Expanded Size:12527 MB

Image Index: 2
    -------------------
    Name:Windows Technical Preview for Consumer
    Description:Windows Technical Preview for Consumer
    Flags:Core
    Files:85211
    Folders:18408
    Expanded Size:12445 MB

or you can add a ei.cfg and set to Core...