Windows to Go - Win 8 Enterprise x86/x64

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by egroups_megapics, Aug 8, 2012.

1. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    i read about that, but did not try.

i applied a Windows 8 Enterprise image to my USB 2.0 Flash Drive using imagex.exe. Took almost 2 hours to boot to Desktop (with initializing hardware etc). :eek:

Of course after first boot, it will be faster.

2. generalsu

generalsu MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Alright thanks. So this is a real disappointment then. Looks like none of the USB Flash Drive with 32 GB currently out there works with Windows To Go.

3. generalsu

generalsu MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    How do you use chip genius? I cannot read Russian. Can you guide me in English?

4. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    #24 VelleX, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  5. J6B

J6B MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    Hi,

Yep after applying image, you need to put bootmgr,etc in order to make it bootable

You need to use bcdboot (Windows vista/7/8 utility)

Just need to run a cmd as admin
    and type bcdboot USBdriveLetter:\windows /s USBdriveLetter:

That will install bootmgr and create BCD.

after that your hdd should be bootable

@++;

J6B.

6. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    #26 tinux, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    I used normal usb drive and it worked fine using GimageX and then go to cmd (admin) and type: Bcdboot.exe c:\windows /s D(usb drive namne): / f ALL here full list

Creating the Windows 8 To Go USB Device:

1. Windows To Go requires a specific partition setup in order to function. We will use diskpart to create the new partition setup. Launch an administrative level command prompt from the Start Screen.
    2. Make sure that your USB Drive is plugged in and then type in diskpart and hit Enter.
    3. Then list the available disks by running "list disk" and you should see your usb device.
    4. Select your USB drive by typing "select disk #" and hit Enter.
    5. Clean the partitions on the disk by typing "clean" and hit Enter.
    6. Now create the partition by running the following command:
      create partition primary
    7. Select and format the new boot partition by running the following command:
      format fs=ntfs quick
    8. Set the partition active by typing "active" and hit Enter.
    9. Exit Diskpart by typing Exit.
    10. Now double click the Windows 8 ISO you downloaded to mount it in Windows 8. Browse to the ISO files in Windows Explorer and copy \sources\install.wim to the same folder as you copied Imagex.exe.
    11. Identify the drive letter assigned to your USB drive by Windows Explorer and run the following command from the folder that contains Imagex.exe and install.wim:
      imagex.exe /apply install.wim 1 d:\
      Replace d with the drive letter of your USB drive.)
    12. Once the image has applied you need to setup the boot record on the USB Drive. At the administrative level command prompt run:
      bcdboot.exe d:\windows /s d: /f ALL

Source:Won't allow me due to less then 20 posts

7. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    @J6B

Yes, i know. Already was successfull with a USB Flash Drive, but couldn't get the HDD Bootable. I think its because of its 4K sector Size.

8. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #28 hack, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. infringer

infringer MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2010
    That is a good question I believe there is a limitation on the amount of activations for KMS Envioronment it is however possible that there is something set aside for windows to go activations for example no i++ for w2g license so those w2g licenses do not increment the counter on the number of activations used... Otherwise I would agree it would be somewhat lame to implement something like this as you could wind up paying for a new license in half of the time which is extremely costly.

On the plus side the more people that switch to linux the better chance it will have for legal bluray support and other support like netflix and so on. Which are just to name a few hurdles aside from the gamers, photoshop junkies, and cad developers... Maybe someday linux will be all that it can from an average users view. I know myself linux has many things to offer that windows just does not and can't as well. But give it time so far despite the efforts to keep linux down it has been right on par usually one step ahead of windows as far as the GUI goes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #30 hack, Aug 25, 2012
    I 100% agree that Linux is normally way ahead, I have had the option to open a new Tab in the shell for years. Why can I not open a new Tab in windows explorer? Windows is not open source so we have to beg and plead for changes. My customers are blind to this issue and just can't do without Windows.

11. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    #31 gnugeek, Aug 25, 2012
    A possible explanation is that since Windows 8 Enterprise is supposed to be used in office environment, they are expected to have a working KMS server which will activate Windows 2 Go only if is is plugged in to home network where that server resides?

Then how can you work from home? Maybe use VPN to activate?

12. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
  13. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    interesting thing will be to extract "Windows2Go" from Enterprise, so it can used in Professional version.

14. Krazycade

Krazycade MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2008
    You already can. Search these forums on how to do it via command prompt

15. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    well, if you will post the link I'll be quite gratefull :)

16. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    triballabs.net/2012/03/ step-by-step-guide-to-install-windows-8-to-go-on-a-usb

(Remove the space)
    The guide applies for RTM as well.

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I created a Windows To Go Workspace USB 3 HDD the other day but had time to play with it.

Today I first started the Windows To Go HDD on my laptop, and Acer Aspire 4752G. Surely I was need to run the boot from the external USB 3 HDD, an Acer 500GB (AH022S), after about 15m the HDD was ready for it's full first run. I connected via WiFi to the Internet and activated the running Windows 8 Enterprise 64bit without any problem.

For to see there any difference between the installed Windows 8 Pro on my laptops 750GB HDD and the Acer USB 3 HDD, I was run the WEI for to compare. Interestingly, both are showing the same figures of the index in all single points.

Now I could carry on and install all the Tool Apps, I may need by and for my work and other apps as well without the need to have at all times an "eye" on the used space of the Windows To Go Workspace.

I think I'll love that feature very much because I don't need to use my laptop etc. with a lot private or company data on it and I could also hand that HDD to my staff to do the work without to install every time a new Windows 8.

18. fafhrd

fafhrd MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2010
    #38 fafhrd, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    You no longer need ImageX from the WAIK to apply the image from install.wim to your USB:

Boot from windows 8 install DVD (assumed drive d: ) with USB drive (assume Fat32 format 16GB+) inserted in USB 2.0 socket
    select language/keyboard
    press Shift+F10 (to bring up the WinPE command console)
    type Diskpart press Enter (to open Diskpart)
    type list disk press Enter (to check the number of the target USB drive)
    type Sel disk 0 press Enter (where 0 is the number of the target USB drive CAUTION!! get this right!!)
    type clean
    type Create part primary press Enter (create primary partition on USB drive)
    type Sel part 1 press Enter
    type Active press Enter (make the first partition active)
    type Assign letter=T press Enter (T for target - can be any valid letter)
    type Format fs=ntfs label=”win8” press Enter
    press Ctrl+c (exits diskpart)
    type X:\Windows\system32\dism /apply-image /imagefile:D:\Sources\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:T:\ press Enter (Applies image - can take over an hour on USB drives with slow write speeds - just be patient)
    type T:\Windows\System32\bcdboot T:\Windows /f ALL /s T: press Enter (Transfers boot system files to your USB)
    reboot (select target USB as primary boot drive in Bios setup) and continue interactive Windows 8 setup

I found a SanDisk 16GB Cruzer Blade perfectly adequate for running Windows 8 (x86) on various Host PCs from netbooks to desktop PCs - the first boot on a new machine takes longer as devices are set up.

19. Linux4ever

Linux4ever MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2008
    Anyone got the 64-bit version to work? I couldn't get the 64-bit to work. The computer would turn itself off after the drivers are 100% done. When I turn on the computer it would give me an error computer didn't shutdown properly please re-install windows. I don't know why the 64-bit doesn't work like the 32-bit version. I have tested on couple different machines all gives me the same result. I have test on a macbook pro mid 2010 also gives me the same result.

20. mruell

mruell MDL Novice

Jun 15, 2011
    #40 mruell, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    I am on a 64 bit win to go external drive right now and works well.. OS is Win 8 Pro 64bit. Must have 64 bit turned on in bios .