Windows Update Issue - Error Encountered (Unable to Upgrade to Windows 11)

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Signup.pawan, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The second policy is probably due to the no-nag patch of WU, for removing the nag.

Did you have that patch applied?

2. Signup.pawan

Signup.pawan MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2018
    Hey, What needs to be done to get back to normal? TIA

3. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Code:
    reg.exe delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "TargetReleaseVersion" /f
    reg.exe delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "TargetReleaseVersionInfo" /f

Execute both in a cmd.exe with admin rights.

You can also reset the whole no-nag and desktop watermark shebang, as you are running on supported hardware:
    Code:
    @echo OFF
    setlocal EnableExtensions EnableDelayedExpansion
    if exist "%temp%\GetAdmin.vbs" del /f /q "%temp%\GetAdmin.vbs" >nul 2>&1
    if exist "%temp%\GetAdminUnicode.vbs" del /f /q "%temp%\GetAdminUnicode.vbs" >nul 2>&1
    fltmc >nul 2>&1 || (
       cd /d "%~dp0"
       cmd.exe /U /C echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) : UAC.ShellExecute "cmd.exe", "/k cd ""%~dp0"" && ""%~dpnx0"" ""%_Args%""", "", "runas", 1 > "%temp%\GetAdmin.vbs"
       "%temp%\GetAdmin.vbs">"%temp%\GetAdminUnicode.vbs"
       cscript.exe //nologo "%temp%\GetAdminUnicode.vbs"
       if exist "%temp%\GetAdmin.vbs" del /f /q "%temp%\GetAdmin.vbs" >nul 2>&1
       if exist "%temp%\GetAdminUnicode.vbs" del /f /q "%temp%\GetAdminUnicode.vbs" >nul 2>&1
       exit
    )
    cd /d "%~dp0"
    for /f %%f in ('dir /B /ADH-I /OG "%HomeDRIVE%\Users" ^| findstr /I "Default" 2^>nul') do (
       if exist "%HomeDRIVE%\Users\%%f\NTUSER.dat" (
           set "DU_NTUSERdat=%HomeDRIVE%\Users\%%f\NTUSER.dat"
       )
    )
    reg.exe delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\UnsupportedHardwareNotificationCache" /v SV1 /f
    reg.exe delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\UnsupportedHardwareNotificationCache" /v SV2 /f
    reg.exe load HKLM\_HKDU "!DU_NTUSERdat!"
    reg.exe delete "HKLM\_HKDU\Control Panel\UnsupportedHardwareNotificationCache" /v "SV1" /f
    reg.exe delete "HKLM\_HKDU\Control Panel\UnsupportedHardwareNotificationCache" /v "SV2" /f
    reg.exe unload HKLM\_HKDU
    reg.exe delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "TargetReleaseVersion" /f
    reg.exe delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "TargetReleaseVersionInfo" /f
    exit 0

4. Signup.pawan

Signup.pawan MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2018
    May I know what is no-nag?

5. Signup.pawan

Signup.pawan MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2018
    I didn't apply any Patch brother, I just used the key to upgrade Home Edition to Pro which is given by @Enthousiast bro, and the system was restarted. After that, the above message came in Settings. Please check the Thread once so that you can see how it was earlier.. TIA

6. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    No nag == No windows 11 req nag message

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #27 Enthousiast, Apr 1, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    @Carlos Detweiller afaik, he is still on 10 Pro, upgraded by key from Home.

And he linked his MSA to the new Pro HWID.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  9. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Only if you want. Mainline Windows 10 stays supported till 2025.

Staying with Win 10 means: either live with the Win11 nag message in Windows Update, or apply the no-nag patch and live with the "managed by organization" message.

10. Signup.pawan

Signup.pawan MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2018
    Now I'm on Windows 10 Pro, if I apply any patch the message in windows update will be gone?
    Or
    If I upgrade to Windows 11 still this message will be there? Or it will be gone?

TIA

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    First, talk about which patch and what message you are talking about.
    Tell exactly, what is it that should disappear and what is it that should remain?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Signup.pawan

Signup.pawan MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2018
    Please follow the thread so that you can understand what we are talking about. Regarding the Patch, I don't know, what he is referring to in his earlier message.

13. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    #34 Carlos Detweiller, Apr 5, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    MS wants you on Windows 11. The offer will always be there in Windows 10 WU if you have compatible hardware. There a message even if you won't be able to "upgrade".
    Applying the no-nag patch (TargetRelease) will remove that offer/banner, but then, the "managed by organization" message appears, as it is a policy typically used by organizations.

On Windows 11, there's of course no Windows 11 banner, currently. That will change once the next branch (22H2) is production-ready. It's a never ending story.

14. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Thank You so much, you're so good and wise boy, but your disease cannot be treated with any patch, it's probably coborn and stays until die.

15. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    If you want to force another edition than the auto-detected one by setup, you simply rename the MediaCreationTool.bat script to EditionID MediaCreationTool.bat
    Then there's no need to disconnect from the internet, you just mount the iso and then run auto.cmd (not setup.exe) - that's what will make setup use your specified edition.
    If you make an usb, then you can simply edit the auto.cmd file and change 2nd line: set "EDITION_SWITCH=" to have your desired EditionID, example: set "EDITION_SWITCH=Professional"
    You can use this auto.cmd file with other media than mct as well (official iso / uupdump iso) - just copy it over.

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    :thinking: i wonder if auto.cmd could fix my marriage, fix my car and tile our living room;):D:D

17. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Car and tile? Ez. Marriage? Possibly. But I would have to come and "write it" personally at your place. ;)