Windows Update KB940510 5-6-08

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jasqid, May 6, 2008.

1. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
  2. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Installed & Rebooted - OK

Everything seems kool after a reboot.
    Softmod 2.1.2

3. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Ok... I feel like an @$$..
    I didnt relaize that this updat eis a month old.:(

I had Vista SP1 running with, what I thought was all updates... and then got this, this afternoon.

4. bobramerez

bobramerez MDL Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    I also just got the update...

5. eshold1

eshold1 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2007
    Am I safe to assume that this has no effect on hardmods?

6. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    Yes. I have read that it detects only timer hacks and driver type softmod such as Paradox. Even if it detected a softmod or a timer hack, it just gives you a one time message that it detected. The SP1 update is the component that actually removes and/or disables the hacks. The bootloader type softmod and the hardmods are not detected. They are safe for now.

7. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    #8 FuzzyMaster, May 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  9. inside

inside MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2008
    Anybody got an alert?
    I'd like to see a screenshot of the first alert dialogbox (saying "Your Windows has got an exploit installed..." or something, not prompting activation).
    Any site where I can see one?

10. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Ahhh...the old "Forgot to scroll down the page" excuse.

Just kidding. ;)

Glad it was what you were looking for.

11. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    #15 FuzzyMaster, May 8, 2008
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
    reginakampher,

Microsoft originally was planning to have SP1 disable and possibly remove the hacks (I believe it was even written that way in the original SP1 White Paper) but later decided to use WGA type updates that they could continually update over time rather than further delaying SP1 for more regression testing. This was also due to the potential impact on unsuspecting users that actually thought they had a legitimate copy of Vista pre-installed on their low-cost clone PCs.

In any case, you are quoting a press release from a Microsoft Marketing VP compared to the quote I linked from a Microsoft developer. Which one do you think is more likely to be telling you the truth? or should I say; Which one is more likely to be representing reality ?

Not that I would suggest that a MS VP would lie, but simply that a developer is far more likely to know what was really built in to the product than a marketing VP who is more interested in spin control and sales than technical details.

Its really a moot point as long as people know what to beware of with SP1. Then they can act appropriately in their own interests. I think this web site has done a great job of informing people about what to watch for.

Oh and by the way, were you aware that Mike Sievert is no longer with Microsoft? Apparently his departure had something to do with the way he handled Vista.

'nuff said. :D

12. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    #16 reginakampher, May 8, 2008
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
    My first reaction to your initial comment on my replay was that you are trying to split hairs. Regardless of how SP1 goes about deactivating Vista, the end result is the same. I do agree that it is a fruitless discussion. Thank you for your insights.