Windows Update Manager

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by DavidXanatos, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    1. The Autoblock/Autohide of user-configured KBs would be most welcomed. In WUMT, I colored them red to avoid, but not showing them in the first place is even better as it removes the clutter.

2. One other thing I miss is line with the checkboxes saying "Select all" and "Selected by Windows Update".

3. Check MS servers and only download the wsusscn2.cab if it is more recent.

That's it, essentially.

2. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Uhh ... Microsoft! And they will host projects that are counter to MS plans and actions, right?

3. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes! And the moon is made of cheese, indeed! :p

4. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos MDL Senior Member

May 23, 2010
    that is already how WuMgr does that

But ok todo for 0.8:
    colloging/hiding of updates
    ctrl+f for updates

well don't care legaly imho they must unless they find a copyright violation as an excuse.
    also once they to that one just goes to an nother platform gitlab or whatever

5. #265 Deleted member 1032214, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2018
    Hi,
    sorry for late reply, (couldn't get enough time to thoroughly test)
    anyway today i installed w10 1803 home x86 as my main os,
    this is what i did to the os so far,
    with latest winaero tweaker - disabled auto installation of new apps and start menu suggestion, and disabled telemetry
    - disabled store app auto update with wumgr
    - removed one drive with a script
    - edit - also disabled defender
    - used this to stop auto downloading language related component. -- schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\LanguageComponentsInstaller\Installation" /Disable
    (did above to stop any major background data consumption)

and disabled update facilitators in wumgr,
    installed drivers (offline)
    installed netlimiter app to check data uses.

restarted,

connected to internet for first time,
    and in last 3 hours working, windows services only used very minor data (around 3 MB)
    but i'm still wouldn't be sure and will keep using home for many days and will see if it can sneak anything in.

(although baltagy have updated his tool and disabled update task as an extra preventive feature but i'll still keep testing wumgr adopted method on home to see if it works perfectly or not,
    and just a reminder i know it blocks updates perfectly on pro but i'm just testing it on home to see if it works or not)

at this point my recommendations are following,
    - wumgr needs an option to "Disable driver auto installation" along with "disable update facilitators".
    (Because i know from my past several test that if screen resolution is incorrect because of missing graphic driver, in that case windows will download and install the required driver even if "update facilitators" are disabled. in such case simple reg entry to disable driver update didn't work and after my report baltagy added some more reg tweaks to stop graphic drivers from installing, although they worked in pro but i'vent tested them on home yet)
    - would be better if wumgr also can hide new added delivery optimization page in rs5.
    - In home edition many apps are downloaded and installed automatically by default, since its similar to auto windows update download, i suggest to add an option to disable app auto installing , (winaero tweaks tools are working fine in this regard)
    - we know that 'restrict access to wu servers' needs some additional steps to make sure its properly installed, and i suggested to automate it in my previous posts, is it automated yet?
    - options in wumgr needs some explanation to new users, their should be some kind of info appear when user hover over the mouse on the options.
    - there is a space available beside, options|auto update. i think tools option can be easily fit there (to make it easily appear).

thanks.

6. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Now it seems to skip downloading it. Definitely downloaded again the same CAB downloaded with 0.6d before.

7. tracit99

tracit99 MDL Senior Member

Oct 17, 2014
  8. Wolfens

Wolfens MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2018
    #268 Wolfens, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    @DavidXanatos
    I have .Net 4.7 on all systems

All went well on these:

x86
    ---
    Win10Pro-1709
    Win10Pro-1803

x64
    ---
    Win7Ult
    Win8.1Pro
    Win10Pro-1709
    Win10Pro-1803

Had an error with this one:
    Win7Prox86
    false alarm rerun went OK, just a system glitch

9. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    You must be Using Pro or Home windows 10 which are known to ignore that GPO setting hence its not available.

10. tracit99

tracit99 MDL Senior Member

Oct 17, 2014
    You are correct. I am using Windows 10 Pro 18252.1000. I have found that I can use WUMT to change it back to notification and it is observed by Pro 18252.1000. WUMT may change the registry key directly or it may just be one of Windows 10 many quirks. Just an observation. WuMgr is great. Thanks David.

11. Hi David,
    Just installed RS5 Home and it looks like windows ignored the wumgr setting to disable store app updates.

12. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Hmm... ok its a home edition than I will gray this option out for home users...

13. Probably winaero tweaker can do it, will check when i get home..

14. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    #274 DavidXanatos, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    (OP)
    I've been thinking about the privacy tool, and about what I don't like in existing tools:

Most of these tools do not allow for easy customization, you eider use Recommended or All options, but there is no way to easily enter your general preferences and have them applied.
    Clicking through a myriad of individual options to get your ideal custom setup is to tedious for most users.

I mean some users may want to get rid oo windows deffender all together why others may only want to make it shut up
    other users may want to disable the crucked windows search all totterer while others may be fine fine with only disabling cortana
    etc...

Also many tools only say things like "Disable telemetry 1", "Disable telemetry 2", "Disable telemetry 3" etc instead of telling the user what exactly they change.

So I think a good approach would be to have the UI structured in 3 levels, "General Category" than "Sub Category" and "Individual tweaks"
    Something like this on the first two levels:

Telemetry and Error reporting
    | Disable Tlemetry
    | Disable Error Reporting
    Cortana & search
    | Disable Cortana
    | Disable online search
    Windows Deffender
    | Windows Deffender
    | Smart Screem
    Advertizement / Privacy:
    | Advertizemen:
    | Lock Screen:
    | Input personalization:
    Microsoft Account
    | Settings Sync
    | Send messages and SMS to microsoft
    | Disable Activity Feed:
    | Disable Wi-Fi Sense
    Apps
    | Disable Store
    | App Privacy Options

In the third level one would have every individual tweak available, the user could choose to apply all tweaks of a primary category or of selected sub categories or of he wants apply individual tweaks.

Basically this defaults to a tree with check boxes but that is not that user friendly, so a better UI concept to represent this would be needed what do you think.

15. Wolfens

Wolfens MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2018
    #275 Wolfens, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    @DavidXanatos

I initially had a form on each section with check boxes for each item and information for each item. You could then use the information for each item in order to make an informed decision, check the box then when done submit the form as the check boxes were in a panel the check could be done with a loop on the panel for checked true and if it was that code would be run. Each section had an all checkbox for that section.
    Were you thinking of doing this with tabs or via a header drop menu.

Ah sorry you did say a tree...my bad

16. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    @Wolfens
    Well a tree is the proper structure, but it does not have to be represented as one, for example that could be 3 columns, first with the primary category, the second one would show the sub categories with information's (x out of n tweaks applied, apply/undo button, etc) and the third column would show every single tweak, could be as simple as a list of check boxes.

17. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    #277 rayleigh_otter, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    I prefer a good batch file to an exe for privacy stuff, too much is hidden in executables. There are so many of them you would have to collate them all and combine them into 1 script.

18. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Exe's are all well and good for those who know how to compile them from source code. The rest of us have to make do.

19. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    One small issue with the update list: The name and description strings from MS are usually so long that they are truncated. Other programs allow you to hover over the partial string and show the complete one as a Tooltip. Could that be added to your WuMgr lists, also?