Windows Update Manager

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by DavidXanatos, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Yeah, it's a fallacy that metered is the only option for Windows Home. And it has some downsides, as you pointed out.

2. Jans

Jans MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    WuMgr reports incorrect file size KB4467708
    WuMgr reports size 81,94 GB
    Downloaded .msu file = 95,8 MB

3. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    It's not incorrect, and it's not WuMgr responsibility

that's what WUA report for UUP files set (Cumulative Update)

4. pcuser10

pcuser10 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2018
    #404 pcuser10, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    My WU Settings is not showing a blank page but the usual WU contents upon booting today. This despite the Hide WU Settings Page box being ticked.

[UPDATE]
    The WU Settings page showed the latest Patch Tuesday updates, downloaded and installed them, and asked for restart.

I had asked about the Automatic Update (default) earlier, wondering if it meant AU by Windows 10 or AU by WUM. Now, apparently, it's AU by Windows 10. o_O

5. Jans

Jans MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    OK, thank you.
    very misleading behaviour.

6. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos MDL Senior Member

May 23, 2010
    Yes its AU by windows 10, sorry for the late answer was very busy the last few days.

WuMgr does not do auto update currently, it can only be set to notify you about updates, but that is done in the startup group box, not on the GPO tab (auto update), the entire tab manages only windows settings.
    This should be communicated better, but not sure how, on earlier versions it was the group policy tab (GPO) but once it got some more options to disable services i thought still calling it GPO would be factually incorrect. On the other hand calling it "windows automatic update" is to long for the tab.

I could add a tool tip to every element in that tab saying that is applies with regard to windows updates and not wumgr's functionality?
    How about that? or any better ideas?

Cheers
    David X.

7. Wolfens

Wolfens MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2018
    #407 Wolfens, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    @DavidXanatos
    tooltips are all that is needed, with the tooltip letting the user know the function, this could be done for every element.
    If you do this using the translate mstrings.add like you did for the buttons then others can add to the Translation.ini
    Ran on all my versions the other day and all went well

8. pcuser10

pcuser10 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2018
    It's all right. Thanks for the information.

BTW, may I know your answers for items 1 & 2 in #396?

As for #391, is it caused by my settings?

That would be nice.

9. pcuser10

pcuser10 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2018
    Just experimented and found the following:

Whether the Hide WU Settings Page box is ticked or not, my WU Settings page remains blank as long as Disable Automatic Update is chosen. This got me confused before, because I couldn't isolate the cause of the blank page. More so earlier, when I did not know that it had to do with WUMgr and tried looking for the cause in the policies, registry, and other programs.

The WU Settings page shows the contents if Automatic Update (default) is chosen.

10. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    1. then the box is ticked the page should be entirely gone, not just blank, when update facilitators are disabled, the page comes up blank because internally the code part fails as it can not establish a communication to the now disabled update facilitators.

2. you seam to have a pro or home edition of windows 10 on these editions said options are not longer available, M$ removed them

3. all the items on this tab refer to windows's auto automatic update

11. pcuser10

pcuser10 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2018
    By design or not, the blank page is disconcerting. Could make people think something is broken.

I am using Home, now on Build 17134.407.

12. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    something is broken... on purpose ;)

13. Jans

Jans MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    KB4023057: "This update may try to reset network settings if problems are detected, and it will clean up registry keys that may be preventing updates from being installed successfully."

Can I install KB4023057 or does it criple WuMgr functionality ?

14. nostra

nostra MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2010
    Thank you for your great work.
    But I miss the following, as seen in the picture.

ru-board.jpg

It was available for the old ru-board version.
    It is very advantageous if you can choose or deselect all updates with just one click.
    Especially if there are many.

I would also like to start with "Windows Update" and not with "Windows History".
    The latter is less interesting.

15. nostra

nostra MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2010
    It works for the ru-board version

ru1.jpg

ru2.jpg

Attached Files:

• ru2.jpg
      ru2.jpg
      File size:
      230.8 KB
      Views:
  16. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    @DavidXanatos, I second the request for a "Select all" feature. After hiding what you don't want, you may be left with a lot of updates to individually check (in fact, that was the case for me with the last MS offering, including MS Office updates). It's not a big deal, but I think the intention is for WuMgr to be at least as good as WUMT, not to drop features.

I also second the big "Thank you for your great work."

17. pcuser10

pcuser10 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2018
    What I meant was if the Hide WU Settings Page box is ticked, the Windows Update (above Windows Security) in the left pane inside Settings should not be visible. I saw this (no WU) sometimes before, but it has not happened again lately.

Also, the window of WU Manager is not saving its size, so I have to stretch it every time I open it. I don't know if the issue is on my side. If it's not, could you please look into it when you're free? Thanks.

18. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    It might not be obvious, but if you click the category line above the updates, it selects all in that category. Then, just enable the checkbox on one to enable it on all. Still more clicks if >1 category, but substantially less than one-by-one.

19. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    I wil add a select all option in the next build,
    and i wil look into the sorting to make it better