Windows Update Manager

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by DavidXanatos, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It's not a CU it's a full ESD upgrade.

KB4565503 = a CU for 19041/2 and not an feature update, just a normal CU like any other CU, same for KB4556799 but this is a CU for 1903/9

2. rebop2020

rebop2020 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2020
    Please explain. What is an "full ESD upgrade"?? And it looks like you say it is both a CU and ???? Now I am more confused.

And if it is a FULL OS FEATURE update, is it finally ready for prime time? And if it is a FULL Feature Update then that is why the previous is no longer hidden, which is where I started these questions.

Not sure why this continues to be so confusing. Can you simplify what you are saying?

3. rebop2020

rebop2020 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2020
    WHAT is an ESD???

Part of why I assume is because I am not understanding what you are saying and it does not get clarified. It sure appears to me that above a bit you are saying it is both a CU and Feature update. I cannot parse that.

Attached Files:

• wu.JPG
      wu.JPG
      File size:
      183.8 KB
      Views:
  4. rebop2020

rebop2020 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2020
    You still do not say what an ESD or an LCU is. Nor UUP. Are you trying to make this more confusing? I do not understand why being so cryptic. Nor do you clarify if what I am seeing is a CU or if it is now ready to update to 2004.Is there a reason you are being so cryptic?

1. What is an ESD?
    2. What is an LCU?
    3. Whats is UUP?
    4. Will what I show download a CU or a complete update to 2004?

Thanks.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    1. ESD = Electronic Service Data (there are some different names for it), an ESD contains Windows install files, like an ISO does but less SKUs and about 30-33% smaller.
    2. LCU = Latest Cumulative Update
    3. UUP = Unified Update Platform
    4. It will download the 19041.264 ESD and the latest public updates.

I have to go out for a while.

6. rebop2020

rebop2020 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2020
    Thanks.

So " 4. It will download the 19041.264 ESD and the latest public updates." means the full 2004, not just CU? Yes?

I have to make coffee myself. Early in my morning for this. I just like to know what I am doing and I have no assumptions, which is why I started asking these questions.

Depending on your answer. I will then have to decide if 2004 (assuming that is what it is) is stable enough for me or if I need to postpone it longer. This computer works. Setup as I like. I wish they would stop changing things that work - especially when they update to things that do not.

Thanks.

7. rebop2020

rebop2020 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2020
    I have coffee...

First, thanks for the time and replies.

Just for reference, this is how I started this conversation:

"I hid KB4556799, the May Feature Update. Now I am being offered the KB4565503 cumulative update and the hidden feature update no longer appears under hidden.

Does this cumulative replace the feature update from May? Does it install both? Would like to know before I do anything. It appears that the feature update may have enough fixes now to install."

Now, I was likely wrong in what I cited as the KB# (trying from memory since no longer hidden) , but all else seemed simple to me. Is this a CU or will it also install the 2004 update which is no longer hidden if I have not yet installed 2004? The answer seems elusive and has taken a number of twists. Had the reply been:

-CU only or
    -Yep, installs 2004 as well if you do not have it

I would have said thanks and been done.

But "Google is my friend". Indeed it is. I worked for Google Answers for 4 1/2 years. And if I had found the answer I would not have asked here.

Then said I make assumptions while being peppered with unfamiliar acronyms :) I made NO assumptions which is why I asked the question.
    And I do appreciate the time and replies. But...

This made no sense to me at all:

"It's not a CU it's a full ESD upgrade.

KB4565503 = a CU for 19041/2 and not an feature update, just a normal CU like any other CU, same for KB4556799 but this is a CU for 1903/9"

My decoder ring says that you are saying it installs 2004 if I do not already have it installed. Please confirm or deny.

Thanks.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    First, WUMGR can't do the upgrade to 2004, as @Carlos Detweiller already stated, the manual reboot doesn't trigger the upgrade to start.

For the xxx th time, the upgrade to 2004 (or any major new release) is not done by CU.
    As said before, the upgrade to new releases is done this way since 2013 or so, should not be a mystery for people who service their install manually.

Only because a program like wumgr mentions the CU doesn't mean it is a CU, it's only the CU deltabuild you will end up with at the time of upgrade.

9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The KB itself is just a Cumulative Update. In other words, if you already are on 2004, it installs like every CU.

- If the list shows "Cumulative Update for (KBxxxxxxx), normal CU install only.
    - If it shows "Feature Update to yyyy (KBxxxxxxxx), face a full Windows Setup, with the CU being installed afterwards. The ESD itself does not have a KB number.

However, WuMgr does not know what a Feature Update is, and the data displayed for it is misleading. Feature Updates will be hidden and unhidden by MS, the former will occur if your device is not ready, the latter if they think it is. They cannot be permanently hidden by yourself like a CU.

10. rebop2020

rebop2020 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2020
    OK, went to perhaps install this today and for the first time from clicking the notification in Action Center (You have new updates - perhaps even going as far as saying Required Updates) I Blue Screened. A first for me in Win 10.

System Service Exception in win32kbase.sys. Went to collecting data 100% then stayed on the screen. Did not reboot automatically. So my very first question is:

How do you restart from a BSOD?

I had to hold down power to shut down, then restart. Several messages in Event Viewer this was not a happy thing to do, but reboot it did. CTL-ALT-DEL did nothing. Is there a better way?

Any insights in to the error? Could anything I have done in WuMGR possibility have caused this?

Thanks!

11. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    BSOD is end of the line. The OS is completely frozen, to prevent further corruption. If the machine does not restart on its own, Reset button or power cycle. CTRL-ALT-DEL won't work, as won't anything else, the keyboard handler went down with the rest of the OS.

12. rebop2020

rebop2020 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2020
    Thanks. Just checking as I could find nothing else to work. Hopefully this was a fluke and I won;t have to try it again.

13. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
  14. TotesNotARobot

TotesNotARobot MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2017
    #656 TotesNotARobot, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    What's the (!) next to an update with pending status mean?

Edit: just read through the code and looked up some documentation. In case some searcher comes here in the future it means: indicates whether the update is flagged to be automatically selected by Windows Update.

15. getwindowsten

getwindowsten MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2018
    I feel bad seeing this application is no longer maintained as the author made a remarkable effort open sourcing a program for the community. I looked into other solutions like Sledgehammer but it doesn't make sense for me to promote closed source programs, especially now in 2020. If you do so, you're literally perpetuating what makes Windows such a mess to deal with in the first place, and I don't think anyone wants that.

I hope it still fuctions because properly I don't have the skills to code any updates. I'm willing to learn tho and the source is there so maybe I can try.

16. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    #658 Whistler4, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Actually, Sledgehammer is a readable script that is not closed source. Among its features, the script starts the Windows Update Service, then lets you choose to run this application, WuMgr. After closing WuMgr, Sledgehammer stops WUS and keeps the service stopped. I think WuMgr works well. Probably, without major issues to fix, it just appears that it's not being maintained. (Although it's true that there aren't frequent or regular updates.)

17. Skunk1966

Skunk1966 MDL Member

Jul 15, 2011
    no update needed if it works well

18. Lidigity

Lidigity MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2019
    What makes you think it's no longer maintained? It's stable, so it doesn't really need updating (although, sure, the ui could look nicer, but that's heavily beside the point). :)