Windows Updates Downloader Project

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Mr Jinje, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #61 Mr Jinje, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  2. JUD

JUD MDL Member

Aug 24, 2009
  3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    One In a Million

Good Job JUD.

On a side note, this project has surpassed the 1 in a million mark, meaning that one out of every million connections to Windows Updates Servers is coming from this ULZ file. :D We have around 700 downloads, (lets say 500 people for simplicity), Microsoft reports 500 million users of Windows Updates so technically speaking we are one in a million. :cool:

4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    nice program Mr. Jinje, works great here :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JUD

JUD MDL Member

Aug 24, 2009
    #65 JUD, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Thanks jinje.....

Thats really cool......... :cool:

6. Claysoft65

Claysoft65 MDL Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #66 Claysoft65, Oct 28, 2009
    Hi, Mr. Jinjie
    thanks for updating WUD, so that we can use just the official WUpdates...;)

I know that the Batch files for the updates d/l found into the "nononsence kit" came from you ("updates-xxx.bat"), but i was trying
    to automate them something more (if possible...)

I already made my Italian version of the ULZ.UL file, and I had no problem at all in d/ling the "Critical Updates", but i would like
    to auto-d/l the "Other Updates" category too... I saw into your Batch "updates-xxx.bat" that the last Letter looks
    like a parameter... "C" for x86 (category 1) and "S" for x64 (category 2), but i couldn't find any documentation about them...
    Is there any other "switch" to add to those Batch so that we can auto-d/l also some other category than "Critical" ?

For the moment i was interested to add to them only some of the "Other Updates" (for example MXML4.0 and SilverLight...),
    so i would like to know if there's such an option or i should just change the category for the files I'm interested to add...

I already saw that there's no difference between x86 and x64 into that category, and d/ling them using WUD GUI will create
    a Subfolder (besides the folder you can choose in the Interface), so maybe there's no chance to do what I'm trying else than
    change their category into the ULZ file... but that's the reason I'm asking to you ... :D

Going further the d/l... i have no Office2007 to try it, so i cannot give you a feedback on it, but i only have a doubt ...
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but looking for it on the Web it's been only confusing for me... /u... /q... /s... /q:a... and so on...
    Code:
    IF EXIST "%~dp0*.exe" (FOR /F "tokens=*" %%A IN ('DIR /B  "%~dp0*.exe"') DO (start /wait %~dp0%%A /quiet /norestart))
    Can this one be used with ALL WinUpdate's .EXE or the "/quiet /norestart" switch will work only with some types of installer ?

I've not been able to find Silent switch for them using USSF 1.5.0 and i dunno whatever else to try, before trying them on a fresh install...
    vcredist2005SP1_x86.exe
    vcredist2008SP1_x86.exe
    msxml4-KB954430-ita.exe
    Silverlight.exe
    These are the files i was looking for, so if someone could tell me what's their Silent switch (or addressing me to where could i find infos...)
    I'll be very grateful.

C U
    Clay

7. Claysoft65

Claysoft65 MDL Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #67 Claysoft65, Oct 28, 2009
  8. i2Paq

i2Paq MDL Member

Oct 22, 2009
    #69 i2Paq, Oct 28, 2009
    How do I install these msu files from a command-prompt or better, a gui-interface?

Edit: Found this little script.

Code:
    @echo off
    echo.

REM Check for folder. IF empty, show usage.
    IF "%1"=="" GOTO USAGE
    REM Check for folder. IF it does not exists, show error.
    IF NOT EXIST "%1" GOTO ERROR

REM Processes all *.msu files in %1 folder.
    :PROCESS
    ECHO Please wait, processing update files in %1...
    FOR %%F IN ("%1\*.msu") DO (
    echo Processing: %%F...
    start /wait wusa "%%F" /quiet /norestart
    )
    echo.
    echo Done.
    GOTO END

:USAGE
    echo.
    echo Usage:
    echo.
    echo.
    echo *) Path contains space(s):
    echo automsuupdater.cmd "X:\Long Path To My Updates"
    echo.
    echo *) Path does not contain space(s):
    echo automsuupdater.cmd X:\Path\To\Updates
    echo.
    GOTO END

:ERROR
    echo.
    echo The folder %1 does not exist.
    echo.

:END
    echo.

9. JUD

JUD MDL Member

Aug 24, 2009
    #70 JUD, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    Hey, that is why I have come up with WUD assistant......it is meant for the same purpose. Use it and let me know if it worked for you ppl

10. Claysoft65

Claysoft65 MDL Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #71 Claysoft65, Oct 29, 2009
  11. JUD

JUD MDL Member

Aug 24, 2009
    #72 JUD, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    Didi u use it ???....it has the option for download and it will install the updates only with your permission. IF you say "no" for install it will just download updates which you can find the downloade updates in a folder.

I have also created tool named Generate UL. have a look at that too coz it will allow you to make changes in UL file (not ULZ but UL file) and make things simpler......I have put efforts to make things simpler for you ppl..Without using how will you come to know what its doing :rolleyes:

12. Claysoft65

Claysoft65 MDL Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Sorry, JUD (also for the wrong nick in previous post :p ) ,
    but for the WUD assistant i couldn't try it cause i was receiving a strange java error (i think my test VM install it's actually a big mess :D )
    so i only misread what you wrote and i thought that d/l + install were all-in-one silent, and i didn't even try to uninstall and reinstall Java only for that...

About Generate_UL... i didn't see your link for it (till now) and i now tried it in my host machine, but it's not what i was looking for
    to easy translate from ENG to ITA the ULZ.UL file (also for W2k8R2 and Office2007).

The Image that Jinjie posted let me see that a little "clumpsy" tool like that could be handy for me... and that's why i asked fir it...
    For the moment I'll stay with UltraCompare and manually correction.

I know that there's a lot of people that are creating tools, and i always try to give a thanks to them... but sometimes, even after
    your effort, the tool created caould not suit what someone else is looking for, dude...

13. JUD

JUD MDL Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Dude, people in this forum are always welcome to use any of the tools (regarding windows updates) created by either jinje, masterdisaster or by me...coz we have come up with those tools to make things simpler for you all...well if my tool doesnt work for someone I am sure either of these tools(by jinje or masterdisaster) will work for them....and as far as these solving the purpose, they will for sure if people like you use it and provide us feedback on the same :)..this will really help us in making it better.

14. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #75 Mr Jinje, Oct 31, 2009
    (OP)
  15. thezeus

thezeus MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2009
    Hi,
    everybody who is interested to create a 'patch CD/DVD' for Windows and office should check
    wsusoffline.net
    It was firstly offered by a professional german PC magazin and is now a open source project.
    wsusoffline has the ability to download all patches for the main MS producty and can create iso images (or only folders) depending on the product and/or language.

//thezeus

16. JUD

JUD MDL Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Have you installed java in your system :confused:....it needs java to be installed (min version of 1.4) for it to work.

17. Claysoft65

Claysoft65 MDL Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #79 Claysoft65, Nov 4, 2009
  18. Smoke Screen

Smoke Screen MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    Yep,great tool. Works flawless and fully automatic.