Windows updates hogs all the available bandwidth

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by yahyoh, May 7, 2016.

1. yahyoh

yahyoh MDL Member

Dec 6, 2012
    As the title says its really ridiculous with every insider update my whole internet become unusable because windows thinks its the top priority so it has no problem to use all the available bandwidth ( i had 8Mbps before and now 16Mbps) and its the same problem and there no way to pause the update ( beside killing the updater service and BITS service) or allocate maximum bandwidth allowed for windows update....UGH M$ not all people around the world has +100Mbps internet. :weep:

2. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Use the firewall to block

3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    oh the agony and despair (disrepair?) of being an insider :p

4. yahyoh

yahyoh MDL Member

Dec 6, 2012
    wut ?

i dont want to block windows insider updates at all lol :D:eek:

5. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    sc del wuauserv

6. ElDiabl0

ElDiabl0 MDL Junior Member

May 31, 2011
    it's probably the new Windows Update Delivery Optimization service.

disable it in 'settings' -> 'update & security' -> 'Windows update' -> 'advanced options' -> 'choose how updates are delivered' and turn it off. And just so you know, selecting 'PCs on my local network' will not make any difference, you have to turn it off.

If it's already off there isnt much you can do other than using a QoS to slow WU traffic or just turning WU off.

7. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Just click "check for updates" and go have lunch.

8. yahyoh

yahyoh MDL Member

Dec 6, 2012

its already off but i think windows still uses peer to peer to download the update but not upload it , cause if it was just normal download from M$ servers it shouldn't slow down the whole network ( even using IDM to download some files from normal servers wont slow down the network to crawl as windows insider updates).

anyway guess i will look for someway to slow down the WU traffic. :D

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I download sometimes at ~80Mbps, with no effect on browsing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    take win 10 laptop to faster internet.. dload preview.. bring it home and use local and problem solved this time. but QOS is likely the only way

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi dude try this: run gpedit.msc\computer config\adm. templates\windows components\delivery optimization; then config so:
    downloade mode=none
    group id=disabled
    max cache age=0
    max cache size=0
    max upload bandwidth=0

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    My Windows Update uses 50% of my CPU and more then 800 MB RAM :( I let it run more than 8 hour and it is still checking for updates.

13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Try to perform a cleanup, you can use mine and additionally try WU Fix, both in my sig, just ran it as admin and sit back.

Remove all network protocols, especially QoS and WU will not take over, all network traffic will be equal then. :cool:

Attached Files:

14. cocotus.interruptus

cocotus.interruptus MDL Junior Member

Sep 8, 2014
    About the most stupid advise I've seen for a couple for months. You don't really understand what QoS is in the first place. Plus the genius idea of removing the file and printer sharing. :rofl::bangin:

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    lol.. cant browse fileshares without client for microsoft networks.

16. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #16 Snuffy, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    I do not have sigh (100+ mbs) internet, and I do not take the normal Insider upgrades. Turn it off, simple - then wait until the ESD is available, and convert esd to install.wim then I make the iso, then mount and upgrade that way... for me also is much faster and much much safer. (do remember that MS stated this was a preferred method if you have any issue.) seems that you do have an issue.
    :) :)
    I also do this UPGRADE method for all my CLIENTS that have 6mbs or lower speeds.
    I also add the ISO to USB which for me is faster than DVD...
    current editions I do this for
    Core - home
    Professional
    Enterprise
    MAK
    Retail
    OEM
    Insider

17. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Very nice clean up batch file !!! Thanks a lot :tasty: