Windows XP and Windows 8 which one is better?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by juny0909, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Xircal

Xircal MDL Novice

May 20, 2012
    I don't think you can make a comparison between Windows XP and W7/8 purely because of age of the former. I'm still using XP myself right now because it suits my needs, but to upgrade to Windows 7 would mean replacing motherboard, processor and probably memory since the hardware I have in my machine doesn't support the latter OS.

As for Windows 8, that doesn't appeal to me at all. I know Microsoft wants to push touch screen technology and that's fine for mobiles and tablets, but with a PC, you're going to have to lean forward every time you want to access whatever app you want to load and that's likely to become irritating after a while.

Also, Windows 8 as opposed to the more expensive "Pro" version doesn't support DVD playback. This means that users will have to rely on third party apps to fill that gap. What those will consist of is anybody's guess at the moment, but they're likely to be scaled down versions of the real thing with minimal support I suspect.

Windows 8 is going to incorporate "Microsoft Security Essentials" which is primarily "Windows Defender" by another name. MSE however has the lowest detection rate of any AV application currently available. That doesn't give me the confidence to consider placing the security of my system with one company no matter how much money they happen to have in the bank. System security is best left to companies like Avast and Avira which dedicate their business model to just one task IMHO.

Some apps on the Windows 8 Metro interface cannot be removed. So this means that every time the user boots up, he's going to be confronted with the big blue Internet Explorer icon regardless of the fact that he happens to be a Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera or some other browser user.

These four facts alone deter me from considering Windows 8 as an upgrade path.

2. dsbig

dsbig MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009

errrrrrrrrrr me no like internet explorer

3. Xircal

Xircal MDL Novice

May 20, 2012
    Me neither. Wild horses won't drag me away from Firefox. Why anyone persists with IE is totally beyond my comprehension. but each to his own I suppose.

4. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. madchemist

madchemist MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2012
    windows xp is the core base os, and after that all the os made have just changed their visual effects and some other.thus if one have and low(old) configuration pc then xp best and if higher end pc then windowws 7 ,and windows 8 is a trouble for desktop users.

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  7. treesmoker

treesmoker MDL Novice

May 25, 2011
    I Dual boot Win XP and Win 7, and whenever something doesn't run right I boot up Win XP and it works like a charm!

8. solarstone2149

solarstone2149 MDL Member

Dec 11, 2009
    win8 is dog s**t
    avoid it at all cost

if XP didn't had problem with GDI I would still be on it and not win7

9. cplguy

cplguy MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    XP can't support 16GB of RAM, but Windows 8 can. It's been forever and a day since I've run a computer with less then 4GB of RAM.

10. supaduper

supaduper MDL Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Soon we will be able to tripple boot XP-7-8 ;)

11. Adam999

Adam999 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2013
    For most people Windows XP is enough, for the daily tasks. Many people wants Windows 8 only because Microsoft tell them that they need Windows 8. But if you are not a heavy user and only need the computer for simple tasks, Windows XP will be enough.

The largest problem is probably the security. Windows 8 is safer than Windows XP, so this is of course a valid argument to use Windows 8 instead of Windows XP. And if you use the cloud a lot, Windows 8 may be better. But if you use Google Chrome and Google's cloud solutions (or other non-Microsoft solutions), Windows XP will be enough.

12. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
    #32 AlexAlba, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    Microsoft knows best.
    Many people want Windows 8 because they want to use modern technology.

13. Adam999

Adam999 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2013
    But many people still write their 5 lines with text in e-mails and 15 lines with text in Word documents, in the same amount of time as for 10 years ago...

14. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I would still be in dos with an 8086 then lol

15. Adam999

Adam999 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2013
    There was a time when new versions of operating systems and applications were a clear improvement. For example the change from text based DOS programs to WYSIWYG windows programs. No question about that. Almost everybody agreed. Almost everybody understood the improvements.

And till Windows XP and Office 2003 the improvements were unquestionable. But then Microsoft released Windows Vista. And Office 2007. And people start wondering: In which way do I work better by upgrading to these systems and applications? After that it started to be hard to make people understand why they should upgrade. Many people had no intention to upgrade, until their hardware crashed. Then they had no choice.

I often meet people that don't really understand why they should upgrade. For 10-15 years I met seldom these kind of people. Almost everybody thought that upgrading will make them more productive. But today many people think what they have is enough for their needs.

I guess this is also one reason why the PC sales has drop so much. People are happy with what they have (regarding their PC's).

16. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    For most casual work on a PC, the hard- and software of the recent years is sufficient. Except for special resource-intensive demands, the PC is simply good enough and not everyone needs the latest and greatest.

17. Thomas S.

Thomas S. MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2013
    #37 Thomas S., Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    Love it - or hate it. :cool:

I like XP and hate all the newer stuff, whispered in by M$.

The only truth is the improvement in security, but this is NO argument for an full new system (PC, printer, scanner, programs, ...).
    As our company migrate to 7 we had to learn new operation and found many bugs upcomming from hell, which still previously solved in XP.

NO! I'm not crazy.
    If the security becomes a big problem I change to Linux!!! :hug2:

18. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    You may want to clarify your question. The answer depends on how you'll use your operating system.

Actually an older operating system is more mature and bug free than a new not-fully tested OS. The opposite is actually true. Older is more secure, generally speaking of course.

Actually XP will support much more than 4GB if you have the x64 version of XP. I use it still and it works fine and has very good 64-bit driver support.

Unfortunately newer usually isn't better, just different. You're given the illusion that it is better because it looks different. Internally it is pretty much the same. You can usually tweak an older system to look/function the same as a newer system and vice versa. It can take some time before all the bugs are worked out. Most people wait until the first service pack(SP1) to be released before upgrading for safety's sake.

That being said, I hate win 8 the most just because of being forced metro on the desktop when they could have just as easily made it just another theme. On the desktop it makes for a lot of extra work to get around the OS.

XP should be fine for most tasks as long as MS still supports it. Only a little over a year left if they don't extend it again.

-=Mark=-

19. Infernal_Cowboy

Infernal_Cowboy MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2013
    #39 Infernal_Cowboy, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    ...how to make extra money on customers.:biggrin:

Seriously, that's just a common modern trend. Making something big, bright and shiny than calling it "new-improved-better..." humbly being silent about technical details. From my experience which is going far beyond casual user tasks XP is the best of all workstation Windows. It doesn't overload the PC with big and oh-so-cool itself, it doesn't bother with Useless Account Control etc. (which is as useful as gun control :mad:), it's easy in maintenance and tweaking. Like a good old car which can be quick-and-dirty fixed with a hammer and wrench.

20. Thomas S.

Thomas S. MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2013
    #40 Thomas S., Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    Yes, indeed! See here an beautiful emergency help (the picture shows an Win8 user - lost in the depths of the system):

Headcrash.jpg :eek::biggrin5:

FYI: the first two options of this set will help on Win XP!!!