Windows XP setup doesn't continue Vista and Win 7 (6801) already installed.

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by ubuntu83, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ubuntu83

ubuntu83 MDL Junior Member

Dec 4, 2007
    I am trying to install Win XP on a PC which already has Vista and Windows 7 (6801) but XP setup doesn't complete. The problem is that when it completed copying the files after assigning a partition to it reboot as always after the POST as usual the screen appeared which said "press any key to boot from the CD"
    I didn't press any key to boot into the CD because their was no need for it instead I waited for the setup to continue but after some seconds some colorful words appeared on the same screen and nothing else. I ejected the CD and rebooted the system but the BCD menu was also gone. I used the Vista CD to restore the BCD boot menu. Is their any work around for this?

My system specs are as follows:

Asus M2N-E (AM2 socket) mobo. (nforce 570ultra chipset)
    80GB Seagate + 160GB WD SATAII Drives
    Athlon X2 4200+ Processor.
    SONY DVD writer DRU 840
    Geforce 7900GT

2. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
    #2 datcat, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
    -could it be that vista/w7 blocks wxp once installed?
    -that wxp should have been installed prior to those two, in order to work?
    -somewhere I read what u need to consider wanting vista and wxp at the same time... can't recall where though...
    -M$ often have such "surprices" up their sleeves trieing to make users use the most recent products...

just a thought...

3. ubuntu83

Dec 4, 2007
    Yup I also think it's the Winvista and Win 7 which are blocking XP setup. i will try to install Ubuntu 8.10 along with the GRUB and after that XP. Let's see if that works.

4. ubuntu83

Dec 4, 2007
    Installing ubuntu didn't work. I thought the problem is with the Vista boot loader but Grub didn't solve the problem so I formatted Vista and Win 7 Partitions after doing the backup I also removed the vista boot loader with EasyBCD. Now the XP x64 installed without any problems. I have also reinstalled win 7 and will install win vista soon.

So my suggestion to those who want to dual boot Win XP and Win Vista/7 is that install the Win XP first and install win vista/7 later.

5. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Glad you solved it! :):eek:

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Dual Boots

This just supports what you've already learned: with dual boots, Windows will not allow retrograde OS installations. In fact, if you try to do so, especially putting both OSs on the same partition, Windows can become badly confused.

For those who have never done so, first create two primary partitions or, better yet for additional reasons, install two HDDs. Be it multiple partitions or HDDs, first install the earlier OS version. When installing the new version select a "new install" (do not "upgrade" because it will overwrite your existing earlier version). Now when you boot, you will be given the option to choose what OS you want to use. The options/timing is written to the boot.ini file on C:\ which you can edit to set which OS boots by default and how long the delay is before the default automatically boots.

I dual boot Win2000 and XP. 2000 is rock stable and ALWAYS available when XP's BSOD greets me.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...