Windows XP x64 SLP

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by hanzzon2, Jan 30, 2008.

1. hanzzon2

hanzzon2 MDL Member

Dec 1, 2007
    #1 hanzzon2, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  2. hanzzon2

hanzzon2 MDL Member

Dec 1, 2007
    #3 hanzzon2, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  3. kenlau

kenlau MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2007
    #4 kenlau, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  4. hanzzon2

hanzzon2 MDL Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Thank you for the advice kenlau

I think I will pass tho, my ASUS Maximus Formula mainboard does not have a removable BIOS chip... I just don't feel comfortable in doing it unless I know I can just swap out the BIOS chip... But thank you for the advice nontheless, hopefully it will help someone else (seeing how many reads this post have by now)

5. kenlau

kenlau MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2007
    Actually, modifying the bios for SLP 1 for XP is nowhere as dangerous as it is for SLIC which is for Vista. The main reason is that SLP information can be simply entered as the system manufacturer in allocated field with a DMI editor, and therefore do not overwrite any data in the bios. I say, if you have the right tools, the risk is about par with flashing your bios.

That is why I suggested using VMWare virtual machine to try it out first, and once you prove the concept to yourself, then you can go the next step to try and edit the bios yourself.

The bios rom chip can actually be removed, and there are guides on the next on hot flashing to recover your bios, but there is no way I go that far. Gigabytes motherboards have a backup bios for cases where you corrupt the 1st bios, so getting a Gigabyte motherboard for this exercise seems a safe option. Better yet, try on a old PC which you can afford to lose.

Finally, I done 3 boards now with no failures and planning another one next week, and so far, like I say the risk is the same as that of flashing your bios.

6. hanzzon2

hanzzon2 MDL Member

Dec 1, 2007
    #7 hanzzon2, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
    (OP)
    Ok, thanks again kenlau,

But actually the BIOS chip on my mainboard is soldered to the board, it's a new 8 legged 16mbps chip thing... No way to easily swap (or even get hold of a new one for that matter)

7. kenlau

kenlau MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2007
    I totally get it. Even for a removable ROM chip, it is extremely difficult to get hold of a replacement chip. You cannot exactly pop into a store and buy one. In all my days, I only ever bricked one mb, and that was simply flashing the wrong bios. It was an expensive lesson.

I actually tried opening your downloaded ROM with awedit and phoenix bios editor, with no luck. If your bios manufacturer is award, then it may be as simple as creating a dos disk with dmicfg.exe inside. Boot up using the dos disk, run dmicfg and then just changing the system manufacturer field to 'Hewlett-Packard'. That field is usually filled with something like "To be fillled by O.E.M manufacturer" so it is meant to be edited. In that respect, it may actually be safer than flashing your bios. Then reboot back to dos, and run dmicfg again to see if the changes hold. If it does, you can start testing your installation.

As you said, the topic actually generated a lot of reads, so if I can help somebody to succeed, then it be worth it.