windows7 100 mb reserve partition compulrory????

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pamadhilwankalan, Mar 14, 2014.

1. pamadhilwankalan

pamadhilwankalan MDL Junior Member

Nov 16, 2013
    i posted a thread about windows explorer closes every minute. it was solved reinstalling windows7. now when i make partitions again to install windows....i made 4 primary partitions. when i tried to delete c partition to make windows to create a 100 mb reserve partition..it failed. but i installed windows without making this reserve partition. please explain me if installation is ok without this reserve partition. or i have to reformat the disk to make this reserve partition by reducing the self made 4 partitions to 3 and let windows make this partition....

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    What is compulrory? Did you mean compulsory? :biggrin:

3. pamadhilwankalan

pamadhilwankalan MDL Junior Member

Nov 16, 2013
    sorry...i misspelled. it is as u say compulsory.

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If you don't have the 100mb system partition then your existing primary will be marked active & hold the system (boot) files.
    It doesn't make any difference whether it's there or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    As posted in the link, even the windows install dvd can create partitions and avoid the 100MB partition. See method 2.
    I use Partition wizard for all my partitioning needs. Really simple to use and free.
    Somehow the newer boot CDs of this tool do not recognise the keyboard/mouse. Without that, the boot cd becomes useless.

7. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    For w7, I still use the patch from nononsence that prevents the installer from creating the tiny partition.

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Another thing:
    1. When I had a conventional 1-2 TB hard disk with system and other partitions, it made sense for me to keep windows on C only and not add the 100MB. Easier to backup and restore just 1 partition C:.
    2. With SSDs where the entire disk is for windows only, I really do not care and do not do this stuff anymore. Let windows do whatever it wants and just backup the entire disk.