Windows7 Office genuine advantage notifications released via WU

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jkh334, Aug 26, 2009.

1. nithinmohantk

nithinmohantk MDL Junior Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Whatz Windows 7 Office? does microsoft released a new edition for Windows 7?

like ultimate,professional. Windows 7 Office?

OGA - Office Genuine Advantage is different from

WGA - Windows Genuine Advantage.

So don't get confused on both.

whether it's recent release(update) or not. OGA was already there for Windows 7..

WGA yet to come after october 22th..

even i done windows update lots of times..

2. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    i tried his current "fix" and while it does remove all the nags (i even advanced day by day and then a month etc ahead to make sure they didnt come back) my LEGIT office version still will not pass validation now. this is a msdn lic key i was using..

funny thing is i used it on the "blue edition" non legit machine and now that passes but the msdn one does not..

well at least for now i guess i can remove the nag screens for them but not sure what to tell them except to call ms.. customers dont like to hear that

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    can you tell me what exactly this will do? will this stop the office updates? and will it affect windows updates? i have not done this before just curious thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. HeadWalker

HeadWalker MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I never needed my office 2007 enterprise activated to receive updates as I get updates from the windows update.

With this update the office is locked for use or do not receive the update windows update or both?

5. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Hmm...mm. I have added this 2 lines when I install Windows 7 and so far have not seen the genuine advantage notification...:eek:

6. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    this oga update for the first 13 days simply once per day the first time each app is opened will tell you its not genuine. then you can click remind me later and until tomm it goes away but the next day it will come back.

days 14 -30 it will pop up every 2 hours.

after 30 days you will have a watermark on all your office documents as well as the on screen notification and start in the taskbar. but office will remain functional things you print will say otherwise from the watermark

7. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    on almost 12 pc's i have yet to see this update on win 7. but it has come up on all vista and xp machines in the offices.. still not one 7 and i have not added the lines to my host file..

what exactly do they do when added to the host file just curious

8. KotaXor

Aug 3, 2009
    Irritating... in that case, should change to OpenOffice.

9. Searinox

Searinox MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    C:\Windows\system32 Delete OGAAddin.dll.

No more notifications when you launch office. The update does not detect tampering and attempt to redownload itself off Windows Update. The end.

10. KotaXor

Aug 3, 2009
    It suppose to loop back to your computer, thus unable to connect to the two particular servers.
    But whether this two servers is where the genuine advantage notification came from.....I don't know.

11. KotaXor

Aug 3, 2009
    No OGAAddin.dll in System32,:confused:
    Normal??

12. shortstp

shortstp MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #33 shortstp, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    oga fix

A better fix is simply go into regedit and go to the addin and change its load from 3 to 0. Worked for me.

Attached Files:

• oga.jpg
      oga.jpg
      File size:
      47.4 KB
      Views:
  13. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    that does not affect anything else?? everything still works properly? i have read not to delete that file so im curious

14. shortstp

shortstp MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    see my post...better solution

15. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    hmm that entry is not in my registry where it is for you im not sure why but i have looked and cant see it anywhere..

i dont have the addin issue either?? simply the nag screens

16. shortstp

shortstp MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #37 shortstp, Aug 26, 2009
    the nag is the addin. run regedit and find ogaadin.connect and modify it to 0. if you launch options in word you will see the addins. it is there as a com and that is what is giving you the nag. you cannot change it there as you need admin priviledge. the only way is to change its load behavior in the registry. click on my thumbnail above and see the registry setting address at the bottom.

17. alanmies

alanmies MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2007
    Worked for me. No more notifications. Hopefully the situation will be next month the same.

18. TR2N

TR2N MDL Member

Feb 28, 2008
    #39 TR2N, Aug 26, 2009
    Will this OGA Update affect my Office 2007 Enterprise? Hmmm, have to test it.....

19. alanmies

alanmies MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2007
    Thank's for the trick.
    The fix you showed is only for Word.
    Outlook etc must be fixed the same way.