WindSLIC boot CD

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by nononsence, Sep 3, 2009.

1. sammey19

sammey19 MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks very much!

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    When I look for dl I don't see cd anywhere. Can someone help guide me to the right link please

Thank you kindly

3. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  5. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    By running make.cmd, it will generate an ISO file. Just burn the ISO to a CD.

For making rw report

• Open RWEverything.
    • Click ACCESS -> ACPI Tables.
    • When ACPI Tables opens, click anywhere within the ACPI Window.
    • Now click CONTROL + F2 to save the entire table.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Thank you so much I tried to read some of the thread and remember talk of burning ISO but didn't quite understand now I do :)

So this is the same as USB kinda meaning only when your starting comp does USB/CD have to be in drive/USB port? But after that you can pull them out?

How does that work?

Thank you ;)

7. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    Correct, you need to have the CD or USB plugged in at startup and you can remove it after Windows is loaded.

Also make sure your boot priority is set correctly for CD drive or USB.

8. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I noticed with my comp that it detects if a bootable media is in CD/USB but with this your saying we have to set BIOS even though my comp might try to boot from it automatically?

Thanks

9. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    By default CD drive is set as first device and Boot From USB is given higher priority. Just change it in case you have changed those settings.

10. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Thank you kindly

11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Ok I tested and at boot it said coudn't find windslic.bin

Any ideas what I did wrong. I basically copied hp slic to folder and renamed it like USB thinking it was similar. Then burnt and it said successful burn to CD

Thank you

12. PeterHolbrook

PeterHolbrook MDL Addicted

Aug 24, 2009
    Feasibility of using this on Apple computers?

My apologies if this has been addressed before. Only today was the existence of this exploit brought to my attention. For now, I don't really need it, since Daz's loader works perfectly on my system (a Mac Pro computer running Snow Leopard and W7U x64), but it might be worth looking into in case I decide to install Windows in a 2Tb hard GPT disk, for which GRUB doesn't work.

Can the creator of this tool, or anyone else with the relevant knowledge, explain how a WindSLIC boot CD would work on Boot Camp? In case you don't know what Boot Camp is, I'll explain briefly. Intel Mac computers are EFI-based, and they don't really have a BIOS. Boot Camp is the name given to a series of tools to allow such computers to boot Windows operating systems, in addition to OS X. They achieve it by creating a BIOS-compatibility layer on EFI. Normally, when one boots a Mac computer, it'll boot into OS X, unless you press "alt" when you hear a chime. If you do that, you'll be presented with a graphical menu that shows all operating systems installed on the system (for instance, OS X and Windows and/or Ubuntu). When you select a non-OS X operating system, it's left to its own process, as if it was a regular PC. The catch is hard drives for Intel Macs are supposed to be GUID-partitioned (that is, they have a GUID partition table or GPT).

If one wants to use Daz's loader, one simply presses alt when the Mac starts, selects Windows and then the GRUB loader kicks in, loading Windows. The problem with that is GRUB doesn't work on 2Gb disks or bigger (at least, if they are GPT). If GRUB is located in a boot CD, the same thing is supposed to happen: GRUB won't see a 2Tb GPT disk, so booting Windows would be impossible.

So, put in a nutshell, my questions are as follows:
    1. What specific WindSLIC boot CD image must one burn to inject a SLIC into memory that will chain load the regular Windows boot manager?
    2. What exactly must one do in the Windows folder to make the SLIC work? I suppose a valid OEM certificate should be there matching the injected SLIC, in addition to a valid key should be necessary. Is there an automated process to effect all these operations?

If the WindSLIC boot CD is Boot Camp-friendly, it will be an almost perfect solution for Mac owners with huge disks. I don't suppose the regular WindSLIC, with its changed MBR, will work on Macs, or do you think it's compatible with GPT disks?

13. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    On a PC the Boot CD works in the following manner:

Boot Priority for CD Drive should be First
    The WindSLIC program run is equivalent to the program that displays "Press any key to boot into CD/DVD..."
    After the program is run it just passes control to the next drive. The passing of control is done by the bios and not the program.
    It is the same as if you do not press any key it loads the next drive in the boot priority list.

If you are able to set the CD-Drive as first boot device then the CD will work.

Does the bootmgr load and show "Starting Windows" animation? If yes, then WindSLIC Volume Bootsector and WindSLIC Bootmgr will definitely work on it.

VBS runs the code just before loading the bootmgr and Bootmgr will run the code as soon as the bootmgr is loaded.

14. rolmos

rolmos MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2009
    I can't believe I had't heard of the My Digital act*vator until now. It works wonderfully. Is the source code still available anywhere?

15. carfal

carfal MDL Junior Member

Sep 24, 2009
    #238 carfal, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    Look in the first post of this thread.

UPDATE: Just tried the link. File has been removed. You could try to PM nononsence but you should know he hasnt posted for quite some time.

Goodluck.

16. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008