WindSLIC boot CD

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by nononsence, Sep 3, 2009.

1. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
  2. DonaldFaQ

DonaldFaQ MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2010
    I have one Question. Can i use WINDSlic for activation if i used a GPT format on my hdd ?

I have an uefi board.

THX for an answer

3. NeverHere

NeverHere MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2011
    Is there any documentation on how this works? For instance, I was looking into booting a custom created floppy image. But when I download the floppy package, the only instructions were to replace the slic.bin. 1. How do I know which *.bin, if any, to replace it with? 2. Will just booting this floppy through a physical floppy disk drive, or through a bootloader, be enough to activate Windows? Or does something need modified in system?

4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    There is a README.TXT file included

step 1: replace slic.bin with the SLIC you want to use
    step 2: review config.ini and make any desired changes
    step 3: run Make_WindSLIC.cmd
    step 4: burn to CD/DVD

step 4 is obviously wrong documented as it should be written to a physical floppy or use it to mount a floppy to a VM

5. NeverHere

NeverHere MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2011
    How do I know which one to use, if any? Is this an OEM activation method of some sort? I'm using retail.

I don't quite follow...

Do you mean, yes - it can be booted from a physical floppy medium, or booted from floppy emulation via Grub, Grub4Dos, SysLinux?

6. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    you can use any SLIC you want, some people prefer a certain SLIC, the default is Acer

the build script will generate 2 floppy images the only difference is floppy.img has a bootsector
    that I found on forum.OSdev.org, and MS_floppy.img is a Microsoft bootsector that I modified
    both work and are ready to write to a floppy or boot a VM. after you boot from the floppy you
    will need to install a key and certificate, the certificate should be the same OEM as the SLIC
    if you used the default SLIC then you need to install an Acer certificate.

7. NeverHere

NeverHere MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2011
    Thanks. Could someone point me towards how to do this...
    I'm getting rather tired of needing reactivation every time I reformat my drives with different partition data, add/replace hardware devices in it, etc.. It's not necessarily Windbloze, but a Microsucks problem.

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  9. NeverHere

NeverHere MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2011
    Sigh.... no. I need a method that doesn't modify in any way the MBR, PBR, or even the usually unused boot sector(s).How do the other people who use this WindSLIC boot method do it?

10. NeverHere

NeverHere MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2011
    This is the WindSLIC thread right? What I had asked is how do people using this method manually do this?
    Referencing a thread, or tutorial covering this, would be more than enough. I have no problem with reading. This PC is more than 6 years old, and does not have a SLIC. All I'm getting are people saying 'use Daz', which I've repeatedly stated is not an option. I multi-boot Windows 9x, Windows NT (2K/XP), Linux, DOS (MS/Free), and others. Daz's loader modifies the boot info in a way I'm exactly unsure of, and because his loader's methods of install are hidden (to protect his work ironically), I won't use it.

11. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    What people are trying to tell you, you 'ignorant human being', is that if a SLIC is loaded through Floppy or this DVD the Daz Loader itself is not installed, just the Certificate & Key (matching the SLIC loaded)
    The topic i gave you explains how to install the Key and Certificate manually. (Still forgot the read what i wrote? :mad:)

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  13. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. thatguychuck

thatguychuck MDL Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I'm probably showcasing my ignorance by asking this...but here it goes anyway.

Is there any way to get a 1.0 SLP setup like WindSLIC_DVD uses? I think it might make an easy workaround for putting XP on a VirtualBox machine.

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  16. catalinoo9

catalinoo9 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    does not close off, remains at rest.

17. EmuLives

EmuLives MDL Novice

May 10, 2012
    Hello. How do these boot images work?

Do they modify the BIOS, or create an emulation of SLIC at boot? I'm using Linux Mint right now as my primary OS, but I have a need for Window's 3d video game acceleration.

My current boot-loader is Grub2, but I'm not willing to replace it with the Daz Loader locked down grub4dos.

Thanks in advance for any help put forward.