WindSLIC - PCI Replacement ROM for SLIC Injection

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by truthinjection, Feb 22, 2010.

1. tramp20

tramp20 MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2008
    Hi,
    I have a problem with this method :-(

I have patched my Intel Pro/1000MT with the compiled 8086100E.iba file and I see the following boot-message:

Initializing WINDSLIC v2010.02.22.1 (_ASUS_Notebook)...
    PCI BIOS 3.00
    Press F5 to skip.

Everest and RWEverything v.147 do not show the wanted SLIC.

Instead I see the SLIC from my already patched AMI bios (DELL QA09).

Does the MB-BIOS overwrite the SLIC from the NIC-ROM or do I make an error?

I want to test this method for another PC with the same NIC.

2. truthinjection

truthinjection MDL Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Hm. Did you set WindSLIC as the first boot device in your BIOS? WindSLIC works in two parts: Initializer and Activator. The text you posted is the Initializer, which sets up the WindSLIC Option-ROM itself in memory. After that, the BIOS might load other Option-ROMs, like SCSI cards, other network PXE ROMs, etc. After the BIOS has loaded all the Option-ROMs, it finishes the POST, then tries to boot an operating system by calling Int-19H. Then, iff WindSLIC is the first BIOS boot device, the Activator portion is executed, which does the actual SLIC insertion into memory.

Well, it's nice to see that the new PCI-FW version display code is working, at least. :)

Does RW-Everything v1.47 show both the "ACPI Table" and "ACPI Table - EBDA" windows when you select ACPI?

What model of PC is the one you're using to test this on?

Thanks,
    -tij-

3. tramp20

tramp20 MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2008
    Hi,
    thank you very much for your help :)

I forgot to set the NIC to the first boot device although I read the whole thread several times. Now all is ok.
    Even RWEverything shows now the new ACPI Table - EBDA.

Thank you again.

tramp

4. truthinjection

Aug 27, 2009
    Sure thing. Glad it's working for you. :)

Yeah, the original thread has better troubleshooting sprinkled throughout, but it's huge and none of the good info is on the first page. This new thread is a lot easier to manage, but not all the best info has been percolated up from the old thread into the new thread's first page.

I updated the first page's troubleshooting post and put the First Boot Device info there, so now it'll be found a lot more easily next time.

Thanks,
    -tij-

5. Russtavo

Russtavo MDL Junior Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Hey just got WindSLIC working nicely on an Intel Pro 100/S. Thanks truthinjection for the great tool!

6. truthinjection

Aug 27, 2009
    Well, according to HPNick, he's using it with Win2008R2 on a motherboard with 8GB...

Hope that helps,
    -tij-

7. truthinjection

Aug 27, 2009
    I suppose not. As for me specifically, I sort of decided 4GB was a sweet-spot, memory-wise, so I never upgraded past that. I still don't have much exposure to the 64-bit or PAE-enabled world, so it hasn't really come up for me personally.

When I get a new PC in the next year or two, I'll get a Core i7 and at least 6GB of ram, hopefully. :)

What board/memory-size are you trying it with?

-tij-

8. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
  9. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    no guide, I dissasembled the old SLIC in bootmgr to see if I could get it to work better but it had been
    hacked on pretty bad so I gave up, and just for fun tried to get WindSLIC to work in bootmgr after
    a few hours it was working; I included a readme.txt with the steps on how to do it. (EASY)

MS has stated that it is collecting checksums on "boot instruction file's" (bootloaders) so I dont expect it
    to last long without countermeasures, host file blocking is working for now. I did this just for fun if MS
    kills it mehhh, Ill move to the bootsector.

sorry that should have been 600 bytes, I have maybe 3Kb to work with, any code much past that point crashes.
    I had a real hard time figuring that out, but noticed that the crash happened around screen writes. so I
    commented out ws_disp.inc and ws_texts.inc and then had to fix all the compile errors, since then I have
    slimed it down a little more, so I think I can add the boot text back.

10. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    #51 nononsence, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    Working on a ASUS P6T-Deluxe MB with 12Gb

11. truthinjection

Aug 27, 2009
    #52 truthinjection, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    (OP)
    I read over your version (very quickly and not terribly thoroughly). Did you get rid of the Int15H handler hook? That's large, but without it you'll end up with ACPI tables that aren't under any form of memory reservation, I think.

Still, as a concept it's got possibilities. :)

-tij-

12. BigG

BigG MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2008
    #53 BigG, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    truthinjection,

Got a few questions for you.

Does the "windslic" method work for the on-board Intel NICs?

How to "injected into a BIOS as a PCI (or ISA?) module"? Is there a document/tutorial about the procedures?

Thanks very much.

13. BigG

BigG MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Thanks very much for the advices.

14. Farfolomew

Farfolomew MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    I've only seen KB971033 mentioned once in this thread, and that wasn't even using the regular WindSLIC method. Has anyone installed this patch to see if it passes muster /w Microsoft?

15. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Yes, it does
    On an Intel card, or even when using it via the floppy image
    Not a problem at all

sebus

16. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
  17. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #59 sebus, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    Thank you, will have to test it later today

For NO practical reason I try it on Hyper-V

With DEBUG_SKIP_INTHOOK_STUFF = 1 I can not carry on booting at all
    With DEBUG_SKIP_INTHOOK_STUFF = 0 it boots fine, but SLIC is not present at all, RSDT shows OK as per selected SLIC, but XSDT is empty

sebus

18. MrCobra

MrCobra MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    Intel EXPI9400PT confirmed working. (VID:8086/DID:107D)