WindSLIC - PCI Replacement ROM for SLIC Injection

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by truthinjection, Feb 22, 2010.

1. TomT

TomT MDL Novice

May 28, 2009
    LOL

Yeah I thought it best to go with the older version for the moment as that was running "as intended".

Will keep an eye on this though to see if you come up with anything new.

Thanks once again, Tom

2. truthinjection

truthinjection MDL Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Hm. Guess I was mistaken about how ancient the ancient versions of my code were. The chipset write-protect lock-picking was from before the 2009.10.20 version. I think the 2009.10.15 version was the last that had it.

The 2009.10.20 version appears to be from the interim era where it did Int15H hooking (with a pretty buggy handler, actually) but where it did in-place patching of the RSDT and XSDT tables, if possible.

I think nononsense has expanded on that method/algorithm in his versions.

Hm.
    -tij-

3. billp

billp MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks for all of the hard work.

My experiences....

Modded Intel pro/100S desktop boards, works perfectly. Tried with Asus, Dell, Lenovo slics. Win 7 starter (asus), pro 32 (lenovo), ultimate x64 (dell) all work perfectly on MSI boards.

Installed KB971033, no problems.
    Web based validation (download xp mode) no problems.

As of right now they can't seem to see it.

Having fun and learning a ton (This for educational purposes, right ? )

Thanks,
    Bill

4. p4spooky

p4spooky MDL Addicted

Mar 9, 2008
    Looks like the download on page #1 is corrupted? When I download I get one file inside the archive. Please take a look :)

5. truthinjection

Aug 27, 2009
    From what I can tell, it seems fine from here. Perhaps try downloading it again or using a different browser/PC?

Thanks,
    -tij-

6. p4spooky

p4spooky MDL Addicted

Mar 9, 2008
    OK that worked. Thanks. I can also confirm this works very nicely on a D875PBZ Intel board with a Pro 100/S supplying the slic. The bios is not possible to crack and windslic was the only option before looking at loaders. GREAT JOB!!

7. truthinjection

Aug 27, 2009
    Sure enough. Downloading with IE seems to screw up the ZIP file somehow. I never noticed because I try not to use IE ever.

-tij-

8. BigG

BigG MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2008
    truthinjection, I need some help here.

I have an Intel Pro/100+ (VID/DID: 8086h,1229h) card, and I got Dell SLIC file (374 bytes, named m09.bin).

I follow the instrcutions you list above and created a windslic.bin file (6144 bytes)

The ibautil.exe showing that my nic card boot type is "RPL".

I backup the nic card rom first (the size is 65,536 bytes), then flashed the nic card with samller file (named 80861229.iba).

When I reboot the PC, the first thing I saw is the windslic boot logo and version info. I assume the windslic is working.

But, the windows 7 Ultimate (installed via a DELL OEM DVD) is not activated!

The everest did not show any slic table

Slic dump toolkit shows that "slic table not found"

So what could be the problem?

Thanks very much.

9. truthinjection

Aug 27, 2009
    Usually this happens because when the user hasn't configured WindSLIC to be First in the Boot Device order. It needs to be ahead of the Hard Disks in the Boot order.

Check that and see if it helps.

Thanks,
    -tij-

10. BigG

BigG MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Question: PXE | RPL , whcih one should be boot rom type?

11. BigG

BigG MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2008
    #91 BigG, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
    I tried to reflash it, and now the Windslic no longer showing up. It's in the pxe mode.

which mode should it be? pxe or RPL (could not get to that mode now :()?

12. truthinjection

Aug 27, 2009
    WindSLIC has headers that make it "appear" to be an RPL ROM, but that shouldn't really matter for the purposes of booting, I don't think.

-tij-

13. BigG

BigG MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I'm totally lost now.

I compiled different windslic.bin files (then renamed to 80861229.iba) and then, re-flash the nic sucessfully.

But, the windslic boot logo never showing up again; there is no "windslic" entry in BIOS (only PXE).

So, only PXE boot. The windslic initializing and activationg part never happen.

What could be the problem.

14. truthinjection

Aug 27, 2009

Not sure. Did you set the vendor_id and device_id in the windslic.asm file to 8086h and 1229h? You can also use ibautil -upgrade to put the regular Intel PXE rom back on the card to make sure it still shows up in the boot. That will help you identify if there's some other issue.

Good luck,
    -tij-

15. BigG

BigG MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Yes. The vendor_ID and device_ID are both correct. I verified that by

1. windows device properties, and
    2. ibautil -up option to save the nic card bios (it automatically generated a file with name 80861229.iba)

ibautil -ulpgrade CAN bring the intel PXE mode back every time I use the file 80861229.iba (renamed from the windslic.bin file generated by

fsam windslic.asm (the file I only changed the device_id line from the origianal copy in your package)

The windslic booting only happend first time I flash the card. But I could not repeat the miracle!

The only thing I'm not sure is the Dell slic 2.1 file m09.bin I found on the net.

How to verify the slic 2.1 file is a valid one?

16. truthinjection

Aug 27, 2009
    ibautil -upgrade doesn't use the .iba files you saved. ibautil -restore does that. ibautil -upgrade uses the package files to put the latest version of the real intel rom on the card.

Use the latest RW-Everything to test WindSLIC. It has a mode to show EBDA ACPI tables.

Hope that helps,
    -tij-

17. BigG

BigG MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2008
    #97 BigG, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
    Thanks very much. ibautil -restore bring the Windslic logo. I guess I got the "windslic initializing" working.

The"Activation" part did not happen.

My testing PC is a Dell GX260 (could not mod the BIOS), and the BIOS has no "Windslic" option to choose.

The only option close is "BEV device (not installed)".

What else I missed?

Thanks again for the help.

This is the screen shot:

(I)WindSLIC v2010.02.22.01 DELL M09
    PCI-BIOS Version 02.10
    F5 Skips
    Going..

That's it all.

p.s. there is no SLIC table in the RW-Everything output.

18. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Sorry, can't GX260 be done with Andy's tool?

sebus