WindSLIC UEFI SLIC injector

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by nononsence, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Check with SLIC Dump Toolkit and RW everything??

2. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    no I used dmpstore which is part of efi shell and lets you view the data in the NVRAM.

3. crappy44

crappy44 MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2011
    right! I found the module in the firmware does reads the variable from nvram. Sorry :eek:

4. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    No problem, can you post the module so I can see how it works?

5. crappy44

crappy44 MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2011
    yep,

here it is:

xxx.mediafire.com/?ttaqk7f8s4qg61c

6. P3N3TRAT10N

P3N3TRAT10N MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Tested this UEFI SLIC Injector with Windows 7 x86_64 GPT partitioned UEFI boot hard drive with an ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional motherboard. The firmware is version 1.30. The Windows OS has been activated but SLIC Dump Toolkit and RWEverything do not recognize the SLIC table. I used AIDA64 and noticed there were two XSDT tables listed in the ACPI category. The first one was the original firmware XSDT and the second one contained the pointers to the SLIC table. So far, after multiple reboots, installation and removal of applications, and OS updates; it is still activated. Great job!

7. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    Thanks for the feed back, The SLIC Dump Toolkit can't find where the UEFI bios keeps the pointer to the RSDT/XSDT.
    I can't delete the old RSDT/XSDT until I patch the DSDT to point to the new RSDT/XSDT, it's on my to do list but I'm
    waiting for more feed back on how well it works before I put any time into improvements.

8. loadabit

loadabit MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2011
    dont need stupid linux for access to your efi partition. use only mountvol z: /s and mountvol under cmd.

thats it. you have a drive control to efi partition :)

9. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    I was pretty sure their was a way to do it, I just haven't had the time to look it up
    I will change the instruction's in the first post.

10. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    #31 nononsence, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    It is also not necessary to rename bootmgfw.efi, download the source and change

Code:
    CHAR16 *BOOTMGFW = L"\\EFI\\Microsoft\\BOOT\\BOOT.EFI";

to
    Code:
    CHAR16 *BOOTMGFW = L"\\EFI\\Microsoft\\BOOT\\BOOTMGFW.EFI";

also change the VERBOSE setting to the desired value, since this code is for EDUCATIONAL
    PURPOSES ONLY the VERBOSE setting is set to debug.

then compile and copy WindSLIC EFI to any directory and with any file name on to the EFI partition
    then use bcdedit to change the path variable to point to WindSLIC.

for example if you install WindSLIC to \EFI\WindSLIC\bootx64.efi
    then use the below command to update the boot entry.
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path "\EFI\WindSLIC\bootx64.efi"

this should be the preferred install method.

to run WindSLIC EFI from an USB thumb drive, compile with the changes described above
    and copy the EFI directory from the EFI partition to a FAT32 formatted USB thumb drive
    then copy the WindSLIC file to \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi then you will be able to select the
    thumb drive in the bios to boot from.

11. truthinjection

truthinjection MDL Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Woah. Neat! I have got to log on more often.

I added a link to this thread from the original WindSLIC thread.

Congratulations!
    -tij-

12. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    Thanks....

13. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    added install script

14. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks! I will try it.
    Btw, is there any way to change the SLIC to something else?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks... I will stick with current SLIC I think :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. P3N3TRAT10N

Nov 11, 2009
    @nononsence

I've began testing the latest build and I experience random OS BSOD involving memory management problems. I do not have this problem whenever I remove the UEFI SLIC Injector from boot-up. I am not sure if there is an application interference problem with this version but I can conduct further testing if you will provide me with any instructions for which I can give you feedback on. I have not extensively tested this problem, so it could have been an OS update or pending hardware failure. However, the computer components are 1-2 months old. I'm using Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 997015 2 x 4GB in dual-channel with all 4 slots occupied on an ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional motherboard. The memory is tested to operate at DDR3-2133 1066MHz 1.5V. The memory is operating at DDR3-1333 667MHz 1.5V. Thanks for your work on this project.

17. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    There was a bug that caused the moved ACPI tables to end up outside the allocated memory region, this would allow the OS to overwrite/move the tables which would definitely cause the behavior you described.

I believe that it is fixed in the currently posted version, I may have posted the bugged version early on 10/30/2011,
    caught the bug, fixed it and re-uploaded the fixed version later on 10/30/2011.

the other possible cause could be that your RSDT/XSDT tables are larger than I had assumed when I wrote the code
    and I need to change the data type for the allocation length.

I have attached a debug version that will print detail's to the screen, if you could write down the allocation length, and the
    allocation address then use the SLIC toolkit to dump the memory address and the specified length then post the dump, so
    I can take a look at it.

18. P3N3TRAT10N

Nov 11, 2009
    My apologies for causing extra work that maybe unnecessary. I ran the windows memory diagnostic and have encountered an error. I will troubleshoot each module separately with memtest86 and report back with the results. This maybe the cause, instead of UEFI SLIC Injector, of the BSOD. It seemed coincidental these problems occurred at about the same time I had began using the latest version of this program. After the memory test of each module, then I will use this debug version and provide the results of it with the memory modules that passed the memory diagnostic. Thanks, again.