WindSLIC UEFI SLIC injector

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by nononsence, Oct 16, 2011.

1. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    So, the old BOOTX64.EFI file should be replaced with the new WindSLIC.efi file renaming it with the name BOOTX64.EFI. Right?

Thanks

Bye

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Yes, you should first delete the older BOOTX64.EFI file, then copy the new WindSLIC.efi file, and finally rename it to BOOTX64.EFI

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Now you need to read a lot & learn. ALL required info is here

sebus

4. cyberbot

cyberbot MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2011
    great tool,
    thanks
    it even activated my UEFI installed OS!

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. Jimmydafreak

Jimmydafreak MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2013
    At the risk of this being the most uninformed post in the entire thread, I will ask my dumb questions nonetheless. I will admit that I have not read every post in this thread, but I have have read well over half of them, and still have no clue what I'm suppose to to rectify my issue. To make sure I'm in the correct thread, I will briefly describe my issue.

I'm building a new system with an Asus mobo and a 4 TB WD hard drive. The mobo has a UEFI BIOS. I successfully installed Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on a GPT partition. The problem is my Windows Loader will not validate the operating system. That, as I understand it, is the impetus of this thread.

If so, I get that I'm suppose to download the 49 kb WindSLIC.efi file provided by Tito, and possibly the WindSLIC_EFI.src.tar.xz file as well (although I'm not really clear on that). Ostensibly I am suppose to replace a file called bootx64.efi with the WindSLIC.efi, and then rename the WindSLIC.efi file "bootx64.efi". How am I doing so far? My questions are as follows, and I haven't seen this addressed anywhere.

Where is the bootx64.efi file that I'm suppose to replace located? Do I find it in the operating system after the install, or is this a file that needs to be modified on the install flash drive? If it is the latter, I assume I would have to make the necessary changes and re-install the operating system? Is that correct?

My second, and probably equally dumb question is, what am I suppose to do with the WindSLIC_EFI.src.tar.xz file if anything?

Thanks in advance for any informed responses that can steer me in the right direction.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    WindSLIC_EFI.src.tar.xz is source code. You can read it (and learn) if you wish. Or you can just ignore it

Yes to the first question

sebus

8. Jimmydafreak

Jimmydafreak MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2013
    I really appreciate your response sebus, and I apologize for being a complete idiot, but where do I find the "bootx64.efi" file that I'm suppose to replace? Where is it located?

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Pick attachments from first post & read what they do, you will have your answer in few minutes

10. Jimmydafreak

Jimmydafreak MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2013
    I have read all those posts multiple times and still have absolutely no clue what to do. In fact I've spent the better part of the day reading the entire thread (now on page 53), and am no further along than before I started. What am I modifying and where do I modify it? Am I modifying Windows Loader? Am I modifying the BIOS? Am I modifying Windows? Am I modifying the Windows 7 install flash drive? What in the world am I suppose to modify?

I have now downloaded all of the following files and don't know what to do with any of them:

BOOTX64.zip
    Installer_EFI_cli.zip
    Installer_EFI_gui.zip
    MGADiag.exe
    Release_06-16-2012.zip
    WindSLIC.efi
    WindSLIC_EFI.iso
    WindSLIC_EFI.src.tar.xz
    WindSLIC_EFI_ISO.zip
    WindSLIC-Dell22.efi

I'm sure all of these files work wonders, but as of this writing I have no earthly clue what to do with any of them. The files that have executables files were downloaded to my desktop and executed, and nothing happened with any of them. I'm still not able to validate Windows.

Post #1 makes absolutely no sense to me. It says to download one of the installers. Presumably that means one of the two installer files listed at the bottom of the post. Then it says to right click on a batch file. The problem is that neither of the two installer files extract a batch file. It also doesn't explain where I'm suppose to execute this file. Am I suppose to run in in Windows on the target machine?

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Check PM.

:music:

12. Jimmydafreak

Jimmydafreak MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2013
    I did and I sent a response, but I can't tell if it went through or not. It said I needed to have 5 posts or something like that.

13. q370288489

q370288489 MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2013
    I will SLIC. Bin and WindSLIC in the same directory then restart WINDOWS

The results appear ERROR: Open Bin File: invalid xxx <xxx is forgotten

Slic.bin is lenovo slic 2.1

Must be slic2.2?

I can't speak English, so from Google translation
    I hope you understand and give help!

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #575 Tito, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  15. MrKiasu

MrKiasu MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2007
    #577 MrKiasu, Dec 27, 2013
    There are two possibilities that I can see:

1) As your underlying BIOS already has a SLIC, you're effectively adding a second one (and not replacing the first one!) when you use WindSLIC. Given that ato works at all, this is probably not the issue, but I'd recommend reverting to a SLIC-free BIOS if you can.
    2) More likely: I mentioned this in response to Tito in another thread, but I think there's some confusion around how command lines are constructed in EFI. The WindSLIC code assumes that the command line will include the program name (so, argv[0] is the program, in normal terms). but it appears that this doesn't happen outside the EFI shell, and argv[0] is actually the first real argument - the slic.bin in this case. The end result is that the key file is never loaded, so you end up with an invalid MSDM, which means the same error as having no MSDM.

Try changing your 7) to stick some random word as the first argument. eg:
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\WindSLIC\WindSLIC.efi foo \EFI\WindSLIC\slic.bin \EFI\WindSLIC\key.txt

16. KTac

KTac MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    #578 KTac, Dec 27, 2013
    I'll give this a shot later tonight or tomorrow. I'll try the modified command first and if that doesn't work I'll try flashing back to a stock BIOS. Thanks.

17. KTac

KTac MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    I haven't tried the above suggestions yet but I wanted to report something interesting. I just checked event viewer and the last time the 1058 warning occurred was last night after I installed WindSLIC, rebooted, and ran slmgr /ato. I ran slmgr /ato again and the 1058 warning occurred again. It hasn't happened at all between those 2 occasions. But, before installing WindSLIC the 1058 warning would occur automatically every few minutes. It appears that after installing WindSLIC the 1058 warning only occurs when I run slmgr /ato.

18. KTac

KTac MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009