WindSLIC UEFI SLIC injector

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by nononsence, Oct 16, 2011.

1. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    there is an install script in the zip attached to the first post, and in the source for this project
    named install.bat which works "most" of the time and will install the key and certificate. unfortunately
    the script may not work on all non-english system's. Most of Microsoft's API dealing withe EFI are
    undocumented. I have reversed how to programmatically detect an EFI system and mount the EFI partition
    but updating the boot entry I have not figured out yet. but once that is done I will make a nice GUI that will
    do all the dirty work.

2. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks you very match for the info.
    I have a P8P67 PRO rev 3.1 and i5 2500k, and have Windows 7 Ultimate -64 (Swedish)
    However "daz loader" run without to have make any modification (just a clean windows 7 install and press install on daz loader) and it activate my windows.
    But perhaps it is better to run your method on UEFI systems?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    Yes this will only work on UEFI system's. I think I have the same motherboard and it is UEFI but you must install Windows
    as UEFI, and you do this by booting from the install media in UEFI mode do this by pressing F8 during BIOS init and selecting
    the boot entry with the "UEFI:" prefix then install Windows to a GPT partitioned hard drive if you remove all the partitions
    on the target disk and then select the target disk and press next this will happen automatically.

4. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thank you :)
    What are the advantages of installing Windows in UEFI mode?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    The only advantage is the ability to install windows to a partition larger than 3Tb.

6. P3N3TRAT10N

P3N3TRAT10N MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2009
    @nononsence

Great work on this. I've been testing Release_01-07-2012 for the past hour. The SLIC Table is detected by multiple programs and nothing appears adverse to any of the other ACPI tables.

Although there may not be a demand or need for it; How difficult would it be to add in SLP 1.0 to this WindSLIC UEFI?

Update: Thanks for adding in SLP 1.0. I was thinking it would be a nice feature because of VM checking for host system firmware SLP 1.0 licensing. As far as I know, Windows XP and Vista/7 (32-Bit) do not support booting from GPT schemes. There has been work on hybrid partitions which may allow these OS to boot from the hard drive. Let me know if I can help with any other testing.

7. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    I think it would be rather easy to add SLP 1.0, scan for zeros in the correct range/length for the SLP string and write the string to the found free space.
    I'm not sure how to boot XP on a UEFI system though.

8. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    Yep, it was pretty easy to add SLP 1.0

I have attached a test version that injects a SLP 1.0 string

EDIT:

added final version to first post.
    source updated with SLP 1.0 injection.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2012
    Hi folks,

I had to register here for two reasons:
    1. THX!!! For an alternative to the DAZ-Loader, because EFI-Mainboards are on there way to world leader ship :D
    2. Did I understand right: this program can activate my Win7-System on an Asus P8P67 Deluxe-Mainboard with EFI.

Is there a possibility I will go wrong an I could crash my hardware? I installed Win7 in standard configuration from DVD and I installed now for about 5 days all of my programms. I don't want to reinstall everything.
    My english isn't that good, but I can't find any german installation note. I'm a little scared to crash my whole system. o_O

10. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    I develop and test this on an ASUS P8P67-Pro mainboard, this should work perfect for you. If you experience a "cant boot" problem you can
    press and hold the F1 key during BIOS init which will allow you to boot without running the WindSLIC code.

I added the F1 option today so be sure to download the version dated 01-09-2012, also you have to install Windows in EFI mode for this to
    work for you.

11. P3N3TRAT10N

Nov 11, 2009
    Nice feature. Are you still planning on adding the MSDM table to this? I'll be happy to test any new features.

I wonder if this program could be something preemptive to a chain-loaded UEFI, whereby the user can inject different tables or add features for their particular system board without modifying the local firmware.

12. P3N3TRAT10N

Nov 11, 2009
    The table is allocated to memory from a dump and is recognized by multiple programs. Any idea about how this table will be used in conjunction with TPM software/hardware? Also, is this MSDM table structure extracted from an existing firmware? Or, was it duplicated from the latest ACPI documentation? Thanks for the continual work on this program. I believe it will have much use, either in it's development or with aiding development in another project for the next OS.

13. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    The MSDM table is from a dump provided by Tito, I don't know how a TPM will come into play with this table.

14. Morgoth

Morgoth MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2012
    Sorry for bothering you, but can you also tell me, how I find out, if I'm having installed windows in EFI mode? The first partition in my device-manager says "100 MB (EFI-Systempartition)". So I should work? Or is there another way to find it out for sure?

15. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    if you have the EFI partition then it is very likely you have installed in EFI mode.

16. Morgoth

Morgoth MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2012
    O M G!
    You are my hero! But for the other chumps out there (like me), you could add a notice the the ONLY thing to do is to run the batch file. I brood over how to run these commands (from the install note) in a promt without starting Windows.

It's just THAT simple: just run the install.bat :eek: (a little embarrassing , but now I got it). :clap3::clap3::clap3:

17. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Excellent find, I'm sure this will prove very useful .

18. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    Thanks glad it worked!