WinPE: how to integrate custom drivers? (nVidia & Synaptics)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IronMaiden, Oct 26, 2011.

1. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    OK, so I have this WinPE3.1-based bootdisk (actually, it's a bootable USB stick atm).

Since my laptop is a Compaq CQ60 with nVidia 8200G onboard graphics and a Synaptics touchpad, I'd dearly love to somehow get video/touchpad drivers into this WinPE image so they're loaded when booting it.

My goal is two-fold:
    1. Use hardware-accelerated video since the software drawing is agonizingly slow.
    2. Disable the #$%*@ tap-to-click feature on the touchpad. (No, external mouse is not an option.)
    I downloaded all the right drivers with all the proper .inf files etc. etc. etc. but don't know the first thing about putting them into the .wim image. Since this isn't a full Windows but a very reduced environment, will the drivers even work?

The bootdisk offers an option to load drivers via .inf files but this always fails with a vague error code (just a meaningless '2' or '3'). I guess both the nVidia and Synaptics packages just try to do too damn much and won't install at all.

What can I do here?

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Here's a quick sample.
    Also makes an ISO. Dism can't compress so I've used imagex. This is all optional...

DISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:winpe.wim /index:1 /MountDir:c:\WinPE_x86\mount
    DISM /image:c:\WinPE_x86\mount /Add-Driver /driver:c:\Driversx86 /recurse /forceunsigned
    xcopy c:\PETools\*.* c:\WinPE_x86\mount\Windows\System32 /Y /S
    IMAGEX /compress maximum /capture c:\WinPE_x86\mount c:\WinPE_x86\WinPE_x86.wim "WinPE 3.0 x86 Edition" /boot
    DISM /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:c:\WinPE_x86\mount /Commit
    copy c:\WinPE_x86\WinPE_x86.wim c:\WinPE_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim /B /Y
    oscdimg -n -bc:\WinPE_x86\etfsboot.com c:\WinPE_x86\ISO c:\WinPE_x86\WinPE_x86.iso

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...