WinZip or WinRar?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by mydigitallifeforum, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    Winrar the best software compactator...
    New: Winrar 4.0

2. lbzu

lbzu MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2010
    I used 7zip instead of winrar/winzip.
    It works well.
    It's free!!!

3. willko

willko MDL Member

May 14, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. todo

todo MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2010
    I have both installed on my computer

7zip for winrar
    Izarc for winzip

Other interesting it's peazip

5. willko

willko MDL Member

May 14, 2008
    Edit MS Office document protection settings without spoiling formatting

Loads of people probably know this, but I thought I'd mention it here because it seems related to the discussion...

WinRAR's ability to "reach" inside MS Office *docx and *xlsx file types which allows access to the settings.xml file, which in turn offers access to the various security and protection settings of the item. WinRAR will allow injection of an edited version...

Basically this allows you to remove most of the protection re: word and excel documents... ;)

Very easy, just change the file's extension to .rar, extract settings.xml, edit what you need, inject the new settings.xml overwriting the old, save and rename extension back to *docx or *.xlsx - most restrictions can be removed (search for w:DocumentProtection entries and edit or delete them) and far easier than most suggestions I've found which spoil the original formatting.

Errr, I don't know that this wouldn't work with WinZip as well, can anyone tell me if it does? - just curious.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Goro

Goro MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    Programs are quite good both, i prefer 7zip.

7. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    100 times winrar, that opens the iso's images too....
    nothing better than this.....:D

8. bphlpt

bphlpt MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I think that WinRAR has a better GUI, I don't think that anyone has disagreed, and that there are some ISO's that 7-Zip will NOT open but WinRAR WILL for some reason. WinRAR handles password compressed files better than 7-Zip allowing you to exit out easier if you want to, where sometimes I have to kill 7-Zip with task manager if I need to abort. WinRAR SOMETIMES handles multi-level rar inside a zip inside a rar etc type of files better than 7-Zip but that is hit or miss and both ALWAYS work 100% if you just expand each layer to a temp location and "start over" with the next layer from scratch.

All that being said, I still always reach for 7-Zip first. I obviously have found it useful to have both available, as well as Universal Extractor as a third alternative, but then I collect tools of all kinds. They can all have context menu options in place and they don't interfere with each other that I have seen. I usually keep the latest install file available for all the other archiving programs mentioned in this thread, just in case - as I said, I collect tools. LOL Past favorites have included IZarc and PowerArchiver. But I couldn't tell you when I last ran across an archived file that either 7-Zip, WinRAR, or Universal Extractor couldn't handle.

Cheers and Regards

9. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    WINRAR,BY FAR:band:

10. PurplebeanZ

PurplebeanZ MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2010
    WinRAR all the way for me :) It opens everything and never gives me any grief.

11. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    7zip has a good compression for large files, sometimes more than one .RAR