Wireless Card doesn't find all the networks

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Super001, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Super001

Super001 MDL Member

Oct 18, 2009
    #1 Super001, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    Are you wanting to connect to all those networks or are you just curious about some not displaying from time to time? If you can connect to your primary network is there really a problem?

When you setup your wireless network, you established the type encryption you wanted that's allowed by the driver installed. You should always be able to view the type of encryption you have established. If you truly can't view your encryption data, you may have problems other than simply not being able to see a particular wireless network. For networks others have established, you have to use what they setup and you may be barred from seeing that encryption as a security measure on their part. And they may use an encryption your driver doesn't recognize.

The wireless networks I can see depends to some extent on time of day and what floor I'm on. Sometimes I see more than other times and I generally attribute that to people working on their systems, late-in-the-day signal clutter, weak and variable signal strength, broken systems, what floor I'm on (basement is not a good Wi-Fi location for me) and etc.

Do you have the latest drivers? First thing I'd suspect is the driver and you can get the latest from the HP website. That and run the system file checker to verify you have all the necessary files and they're not corrupt.

3. Super001

Super001 MDL Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Thanks !

to simplify the problem when i install the wireless driver I can't find my primary network , and when i Uninstall the driver installation I can find it ,but when i put the password it says the invaild key (this is because it's defined as different encryption which is wrong ) so I have to add the network manually with the right encryption to let it work
    However for all the others they just put the password and it works directly ,and this is not only for this network it happens also in other kind of networks !

So what i want to use the wireless in a normal way !! just put the password and connect and use the internet !

4. Super001

Super001 MDL Member

Oct 18, 2009
    and I just relized something that when i installed the driver the networks that shows only are Radio: 802.11g , and doesnt show the 802.11n
    what is the difference ?

5. Computers Plus

Computers Plus MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Ralink has had driver issues to begin with on Windows 7 you may have to try a different driver than your using also I would go to manage wireless networks and delete any stored profiles after that you can look the adapter properties there are settings you can turn on or off like having the radio set to b/g only or b/g/n also there may be channel settings try auto if your not sure what channel your router is using hope this helps...

6. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    If you have HP Wireless Assistant, uninstall that if you have it installed. It causes ALOT of problems sometimes. It is virtually useless

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #8 PhaseDoubt, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    Bingo! Windows 7 does a good job all by itself. It never ceases to amaze me how every computer manufacturer seems to believe they need to install software Windows already has natively. Software that generally, for me at least, adds little or nothing and just tends to bog things down.