WMP icons in taskbar when x64bit wmp used as default

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by levomac, Sep 6, 2010.

1. levomac

levomac MDL Novice

May 1, 2010
    Hi,am running Win 7 ultimate x64 bit and have changed my Windows Media Player to be x64bit by default using package from the thread on MDL(cant post links due to low post count).
    I deleted the x32 bit WMP icon from the taskbar after the switch & pinned the icon of WMPx64 from the start menu to the taskbar.
    Now the problem is when I open a media file from explorer another icon of WMP appears in the taskbar that has the preview features.The original icon I pinned from the start menu stays as it is.
    As far as I recall there should be a single icon of media player in taskbar(pinned one) with the preview features.So please tell how to get rid of the xtra icon of WMP from the taskbar & make the pinned one functional.
    Or am I mistaken in assuming that there should be one icon only.
    Thanks

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I just pressed "shift" and right clicked the icon on the taskbar - chose properties and pointed the relevant fields to the 64 bit player - chose apply and it worked like it should - the 64 bit version ran instead and no extra icons etc.

Can't really explain your issue :confused::confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. levomac

levomac MDL Novice

May 1, 2010
    Any other suggestions or should I switch back to x32 bit mode and do what Rosco in the post above has done .
    Thanks