Wndows 7 re-install over Windos 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by HORIZONTAL THINKER, Jan 6, 2013.

1. HORIZONTAL THINKER

HORIZONTAL THINKER MDL Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hope someone can help me here with this problem. My girlfriend bought a new HP laptop over the Christmas period and absolutely hates Windows 8.
    She's asked me to install Windows 7 onto it but the laptop/Windows 8 will not allow me to format the hard drive with a Windows 7 installation disk.

Any help would be appreciated,

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    #2 NICK@NUMBER11, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    FIRST i would suggest that you create a complete backup. or make the recovery disk that is offered with the computer.

Then run the windows 7 Installation setup and the at the first black/screen hit the space bar for the "Press any key ... " prompt, then at the "Language" screen hold the "Shift" key and hit the F10 hot-key to open a command window.

Then type in this...

Code:
    SELECT DISK 0
    CLEAN
    CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
    ACTIVE
    ASSIGN LETTER=C
    FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="Windows" QUICK
    EXIT

This will delete/clear the partition and format it ready for installing windows 7

3. HORIZONTAL THINKER

HORIZONTAL THINKER MDL Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Many thanks NICK@NUMBER11. I'll go that route as soon as i get the laptop this evening.

Again, many thanks for the help :biggrin:

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would run just theClean command within Diskpart, so while install Windows 7 it will also be able to create the Recovery Partition for Windows 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...