Working BIOS mod for WS2008 in Xen HVM

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by belkhal, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Dohnuts

Dohnuts MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2008
    Just to confim that this worked great in XEN 6.1. Thanks for you hard work.

2. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    (BTW - Links are down)

I need to port and use a few of these on a XenClient Enterprise on my Thinkpad T61:

> P2V from Laptops:
    - Thinkpad T61 - XP Pro OEM with Mod SLIC 2.1 BIOS
    - Dell 9300 - XP Pro OEM (no BIOS Mods so far)
    - Few Windows Server "Training" VM Instances from Product Vendors -

Is there an easy way to ensure my VMs run without activation issues. I'd prefer not to have to re-compile Xen code.

3. cyrozap

cyrozap MDL Novice

May 29, 2012
    You are correct, but XenServer is Citrix's commercial implementation of Xen, not XenClient.

4. garfield2008

garfield2008 MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2009
    This hvmloader will not work with xenserver 6.1 update XS61E014 or later. This hvmloader does not reboot or shutdown the virtual machine.

5. ahmedtm1

ahmedtm1 MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    Hello,

I tried over 50 times to compile hvmloader with Different manufacturer DELL,ACER,ASUS..etc and even HP used in this thread and after I put the compiled hvmloader in /usr/lib/xen/boot and trying to use Daz windows loader, it crashes windows and not boot up

I think there is other step missed in this thread since I used hvmloader compiled and attached (HPQEM) in this thread and activation of windows will be succeeded.

I attached my bin slic and its hvmloader compiled to see what is wrong?

I use xen 3.0.3 provided by centos 5.9

so can any one help me?

6. ahmedtm1

ahmedtm1 MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    any one can help me?

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    After using modded bios, you just need to install proper cert and key to be activated.

8. ahmedtm1

ahmedtm1 MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    Thank You for ur reply, but I used windows loader by Daz for installing cert and key and it was succedded in Hvmloader provided by attachement but it is not succeeded with hvmloader compiled by myself

so can you please, explain why?

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    It means there is something fishy while compiling.

Sorry, I don't have enough knowledge to help you.

:g:

10. millbarge

millbarge MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    ahmedtm1, please post your modified source code. You said you're using Xen 3.0.3 and the hvmloader code changed in 4.1. Which steps are you following?

11. cyrozap

cyrozap MDL Novice

May 29, 2012
    Ok, I used the SLIC 2.2 file in that thread to recompile hvmloader. I've uploaded the newly-compiled Xen 4.1.3 hvmloader here: bit.cur.lv/hvmloader-slic22

I haven't tried to activate Windows Server 2012 with it yet, but activating Windows 7 worked, so it should be fine.

Current issues:
    • VM shutdown does not always work properly, so a forced shutdown may be required in those instances.
    • The CPU sometimes spontaneously gets reported as "unplugged".

Regarding the current problems, I have a funny feeling they exist because I used Ubuntu to compile everything instead of CentOS, so I'll be setting up a CentOS 5.9 build environment soon. Hopefully, my next post will have the two fixed hvmloader versions (SLIC 2.1 and SLIC 2.2).

12. Xerxies

Xerxies MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2009
    You sir, are awesome! :worthy: I look forward to your build, in the mean time i'll be testing this.

13. his.dudeness

his.dudeness MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2014
    Hi !

any news on this?

Actually I don't get this whole xen + windows loader stuff

I have been using daz windows loader 2.1 on citrix xenserver VMs (5.x + 6.x) in my testlab quite often with 2008 R2 and it always worked like charm.
    Never thought about it, it just worked :biggrin:
    Now I tried windows loader 2.2 and suddenly it says: "xen not supported" and I'm reading about all those problems??? :confused:

Are there any news on this topic? I'd like to use it for some 2012 (R2) tests... :D

regards
    me