Working Method to Get Transparency in Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Windows Fan, Jan 16, 2013.

1. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    #21 hb860, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    What we want back is the alpha blended transparency (the transparency with the special type of blurring). It's true that winaeroglass like in the previous post is technically transparent, but it is not transparency! What it is is nothing more than not having a fill set for the title bar. The taskbar in Windows 8 is transparent, but it isn't as transparent as Windows 7 and it certainly isn't alpha blended. Now for the bad news... apparently Microsoft are going to make the desktop even more 'flat' with 'Windows Blue' (basically Windows 8 SP1 but more under the guise of Windows 98 SE vs Windows 98). Seems bland is the new 'in' thing as far as Microsoft is concerned. Office 2013 and the Windows 8, what a very visually uninteresting combination!

The sea of white and off-white in Office 2013 can only lead to reduced productivity since the colour (lack thereof) choice would actually increase mental fatigue and eye strain.

3. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #23 moderate, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    I have discovered, that nice blur can be provided by custom theme itself under these circumstances (explanation: Custom theme will not provide blur directly, but it can provide "another graphic effect mixing two different elements" what will be interpreted as nice blur by W8 with "Total Transparency".

Early results (the final results can be a lot of better, in fact both Vista stripes and W7 blur can be made, when graphical person creating the theme pattern will be skilled enough):
    _2.jpg
    _3.jpg

Now I am in contact with HB and another theme guy with intension to make this (TT enabler, main resident layers engine to remove atefacts, special themes, UI) as paid application. For this reason I will not talk about it here, until it is complete.
    BTW: I don't care, if it is BetaBlended or GamaBlended as long it looks nice, what isn't too hard compared, how fugly W8 looks by default...
    Basically if you will have HiRes PNG, where you can control percentage of transparency at each pixel (anyhow), you will get same (or better) effect... :)
    Also there could be another option: "adjusting global transparency level by selecting custom theme"

BTW2: Could anybody tell me, why MDL no longer displays pic previews in comments? :)

BTW3: HB's daughter on that photo is so cute :)

BTW4: Only needed component is UxStyleCore, so there is no DLL patch, so it will work OK with Windows Update...

4. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    with total transparency enabled and ribbon UI is NOT a good ideea.:mad:

5. WindowsOS

WindowsOS MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2012
    No wonder when I applied the Release Preview theme, I saw some blur in inactive windows.
    Aero Glass Snip2.PNG

6. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Nothing new ! and still no aero glass. ! :nono:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Painkiller

Painkiller MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
  8. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Maybe we'll see application for that. something simple.

9. bigmuscle

bigmuscle MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Do people still search for working glass effect in Win8.x when it has already been reimplemented?

10. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Yes,a lot of people do.Different tastes.Simple.:)

11. bigmuscle

bigmuscle MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I bit meaningless, isn't it?