WSUS 3.0 SP2 (on Srv2k8 R2) and Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Z3Rr0_C0ol, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Z3Rr0_C0ol

Z3Rr0_C0ol MDL Novice

May 11, 2012
    Has anyone successfully conected a win8 Client to WSUS running on Server2008 R2 ?

When i try to get updates through WinUpdate i get the same error (800b0001) as when i try to update with Win7 and newer WU-Client V.xxxx.256 and WSUS isn't Patched to V.xxxx.251 (KB2720211)
    Update-Settings are forced by GPO and is working with Win7-Clients

Is there a new KB-Patch for WSUS to work with Win8? - and where to get it?

BTW: Updateing with wuauclt /detectnow is working :confused: and Win8-Computer is listed in WSUS as WindowsXP x64.

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    If Win8 is showing as Windows XP then you definitely have something wrong.

There is probably a patch forthcoming, however it may be easier to just go ahead and build a new WSUS on a Server 2012 machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Z3Rr0_C0ol

Z3Rr0_C0ol MDL Novice

May 11, 2012
    i have planed for it in 1-2 weeks. an i will see if it works correctly. i hope i can make a first Sync as downstream-server to my existing WSUS with no problems :worthy:, my Internetconection is so :inv:slooow.

4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I considered doing that and it failed miserably.

A better method is to make a complete copy of the WSUS folder from the old server to the new one after installing Server 2012 but before installing the WSUS role. Then setup WSUS from scratch with no reference to the old one at all. As you approve updates (small batches at first just to make sure it's working), it will eventually discover that the content is already there and not download it again.

Once everything is synced and shows as available, change your group policy or your dns to point clients to the new server.

It was real easy in my case because I had the WSUS content on a separate VHD, just made a copy of it and mounted it into the new virtual machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. itbeta

itbeta MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2011
    :D:D:D yeajh

6. Z3Rr0_C0ol

Z3Rr0_C0ol MDL Novice

May 11, 2012
    thx for your tips. i will try my best in some days ....