Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Ahsan

Ahsan MDL Addicted

Dec 3, 2009
  2. Ahsan

Ahsan MDL Addicted

Dec 3, 2009
    I prefer your script :)

3. app_raiser

app_raiser MDL Junior Member

Mar 18, 2018
  4. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Maybe you should rename it instead of deleting it. That way it preserves any links instead of breaking them.

5. app_raiser

Mar 18, 2018
    most cases, i do so. but in this moment, as i realized it (CEIP) RUNS.. although winblows lies to me it does not, i got angry.

now i use linux ^^

the sentence reminds me of mark russinovich.. renaming is better.. i will never forget how the machine behaved as (she) realized what i realized and am about to do

now i have to do some debugging and scrips to check, the guy who made "WUT" (angryness in german) made other int. things!

be blessed!

6. Alfonico

Alfonico MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2018
    To pf100

Hello
    Running script version 2.5.4 on Windows 10 1709 32 bits.
    Just for information in case it helps for possible modifications of the script, here is the description of a sequence of events.
    I haven't noted all the details of the saga, sorry about that.
    - Using the script, WUMT detected 2 updates that it failed to install (2 other small updates were successful). These were:
    KB4023057 (this is a tiny update that is supposed to fix /modify WU, not available on MS update catalog).
    KB4457142 (large 2018-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x86-based Systems).
    The failures were accompanied by the not very useful error codes 80070643 and 8024001E.
    - I closed WUMT,
    - I downloade KB4457142 using MS update catalog and launched it. It failed immediately, complaining about service not running (normal as WU was disabled by the script)
    - I launched the script to enable WU (not WUMT) and launched KB4457142: it took a while doing various operations and concluded in failure.
    - I closed the script and used the uninstall script.
    - I launched KB4457142: it took a while doing various operations and concluded in failure again.
    - Following an advice found on Internet, I ran the Windows troubleshooter for WU: it found some issues and indicated that they were fixed.
    - I tried again KB4457142: it worked.
    - I ran the script, and WUMT. I was then able to install KB4023057.
    I cannot tell if the issues fixed by Windows Troubleshooter were initially due to the script.
    But fixing these issues with the script uninstalled solved the situation.
    Next time something like this happens I will take note of the messages given by Windows Troubleshooter and I will post again.
    Regards

7. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    KB4023057 is not a desirable update. It's part of Microsoft's efforts to prevent you from choosing when and what to update in Windows 10. That's one of the updates that keeps coming back, month after month, if you hide it.

8. app_raiser

Mar 18, 2018
    it.. this small but EVIL update / downgrade is also called / is causing REMPL / microsoft winblows remediation 33 (just take a look in the .etl files you will find in your newly created "rempl" folder!)

sorry man! i hope you have a backup! if not, i know how hard this experience may become! after all i named myself "appraiser" - the one that deleted "compattelrunner.exe" on his own windows that was actually running (right before shutdown) dealing with this crap on a daily basis caused me to use linux now and an "offlined to the max" winblows! :)

9. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    As far as I know, the script stops rempl every time by disabling the files in the %programfiles%\rempl folder. In my own testing, I disable compattelrunner.exe on my own machine using the script, but I haven't finished that code and may not add it since it's not directly involved in forcing updates. It does eat a lot of CPU sometimes though and haven't decided if I should disable it with the script or not publicly.

10. Alfonico

Alfonico MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2018
    #852 Alfonico, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    to pf100.
    Hello.
    Concerning compattelrunner.exe.
    I think that the people that will be using the WUMT script had a basic knowledge of Windows and should be able to disable or modify (if they consider this necessary), the task \Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser (this is the task that launches compattelrunner.exe) from the Windows Task Scheduler.
    In my case, this task appears to be programmed to start once at around 04:00, which doesn't bother me. So far I have never experienced a negative impact of this task, possibly thanks to the time of the night at which it runs.
    Therefore I think that "since it's not directly involved in forcing updates" it is perhaps better to leave this task outside the scope of WUMT script, and let users act on this task if they want.
    Regards.

11. Alfonico

Alfonico MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2018
    to pf100
    Hello
    Continuing message 847.
    1-I used a different computer, with the same versions of windows and of the script.
    2-I checked the updates using the script. I noted that I had all the offline installers from MS update catalog with the exception of .KB4023057.
    3-I tried to install it with WUMT: the download was successful, and the installation failed with the generic error 0x80240022.
    4-I stopped WUMT, started again the script, tried again to install the update with the same outcome.
    5-I abandoned trying this update and moved to install the other updates with the offline installers. I disconnected from Internet, uninstalled the script and ran the offline installers with success (including KB4457142: that failed on the other computer: WUMT script is therefore not the cause of the problem concerning cumulative update KB 4457142 that I described in post 847).
    6-I installed again the script, connected to Internet and ran WUMT through the script. No more updates with the exception of .KB4023057. I decided to give it an other go.
    7-I repeated steps 3 and 4 above with the same outcome.
    8- I uninstalled the script.
    9- I ran WUMT (on its own, without the script): the update was successful.
    My conclusion: update KB4023057 was blocked by the script. This is perhaps a desired outcome considering that many people complain about this update (not me, so far I never had a problem with it). But if this outcome was not planned, then there is perhaps something to modify in the script.
    Regards

12. app_raiser

Mar 18, 2018
    compatibility appraiser is directly involved in how YOU get updates! if winblows detects that you gonna touch this .exe it indeed does consume a lot of cpu power. the key thing that.. ********** is that me, you, and maybe almost all the others did believed that you simply could disable this task. even if you do, you can SEE that this task is running every day!!! i would absolutely not recommend to include compattelrunner.exe! better take a look at the newly implemented GPO's that do cause every whatsoever "protection" against winblows updates to fail. here the ones that i'm very serious with..

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\ /f /v AuthenticodeEnabled

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\ /f /v FullPrivilegeAuditing

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\ /f /v ProtectionMode

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole\ /f /v SecurityLevel

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\ /f /v SCENoApplyLegacyAuditPolicy

HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent /f /v DisableWindowsSpotlightFeatures
    there are more! effects CAN be f.e. bluescreens / unbootable systems (that someone who knows - can fix with a single command line). also i am aware of the fact that not all of the settings mentioned in 1809 admin templates are new!... there is a GPO that brings you deep trouble simply by still not using a password (another one forces you to type it, not let autologon sysinternals tool do it for you)

13. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    November 2018 Maximum PC has a short article on Take Control of Updates that highlights WUMT and Windows Update Blocker. Starting to get mainstream.

14. app_raiser

Mar 18, 2018
    #856 app_raiser, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    i would wonder when microslop not already keeps three four eyes on this site :)

also, it is very understandable that an increasing amount of individuals wants to get rid of these "quality improvements" - so destructed and destroyed windows currently is...

i do not believe in these settings i found today in the new admx...

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat" /f /v AITEnable

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\AppV\CEIP" /f /v CEIPEnable

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Device Metadata" /f /v PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork
    these registry keys (and many many more) do exist, so it should be clear that these tasks do run, even if disabled in taskschd.msc. the third is the one that may frag all your drivers while you still feel safe.. whatever, i will not try to prove that some regkeys are all that is needed to keep ms from sedimenting your winblows when it connects to ms servers. most keys are reg_dword, some not!

15. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Searching for updates: Succeeded with errors

and no updates being shown. thus

the 2.5.4 script is incompatible with ltsc 2019 bro

16. Alfonico

Alfonico MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2018
    Hello
    From what I could gather on the Internet:
    "An LTSC release is a different Windows 10 release. LTSC updates arrive every two to three years. They're more like a Windows 10 IoT releases (formerly known as "Windows Embedded"). Microsoft just recommends LTSC use for devices that can't tolerate frequent updates, such a medical devices. Microsoft strips out components that are frequently updated from LTSB releases, such as the Microsoft Edge browser and "in-box" apps like Cortana and Mail. Microsoft also is planning to block the use of Office 365 ProPlus on any Windows 10 LTSC release, starting on Jan. 14, 2020, so it really doesn't want businesses to be using it."
    According to this, the 2.5.4 script is not needed on LTSC versions.
    Regards

17. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Only 2.5.4 can remove permissions from and lock update hijacker files in 1809 and LTSC and is therefore required. 2.5.3 only renames them which is not an ideal situation and does not work as intended. 2.5.2 and earlier does not work at all on these latest versions. I changed the OP to state that 2.5.4 is required for 1809 and LTSC.

18. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    nah the windows updates are forced in the ltsb.