WZOR Talks About Windows (Codename) 9, Is a DP Imminent?(Added:WP8.1DP download)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FaiKee, Feb 14, 2014.

1. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    CPUs in RAID .... :g:? How about a skulltrail platform or one of these nice Tyan boards with 4 sockets, the latter would be even 256 bit :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Only if you install 32bit Windows XP 4 times ;)

3. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    All things are possible - it is all about the $$s - speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    why not ???

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Would need an appropriate platform to be introduced (and spreaded) first, wouldn't it.

6. BAV0

BAV0 MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2011
    #46 BAV0, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Let's stop arguing about this 128-bit bulls**t, the real important question is what Microsoft's cloud plans are, that's going to be Windows 9's 'innovation'.

Here's one possibility: Microsoft could offer Desktop-as-a-Service, you could install a remote desktop app directly in BIOS (for free), then you log in into your Microsoft account at boot. If you have an active DaaS subscription you will be connected to your PC in the cloud. MS already offers virtual machines running Windows Server through Microsoft Azure, Amazon recently launched Amazon Workspaces (they actually run Windows Server with the desktop experience pack to avoid licencing issues with MS).
    This is a great idea IMO, but there's obviously the problem, what happens when you're offline? That's probably what WZOR is talking about.
    (maybe a local, cached copy of the virtual machine in the cloud, constantly updated with xdeltas?)

Any other suggestions what it could be?

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    One is for sure: You need a tool to connect to MS cloud. If Windows only is above your heads you are doomed in any way, so the connecting instrument will be imminent at that time and then you got to pay for. No more MTK or such .... puuuuu .... bad horizon as far as I can see that kind of development.

8. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    "what happens when you're offline?" --- This is what I wonder about too. Do we leave machines online 24/7? What about slow internet connections - look at all the complaints recently during the "download delirious days".

9. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    yes, I believe that all those things are not considered into the construction of "new" OS. Theoretically, all would be perfect but the world outside shows many different facets :cool:

10. BAV0

BAV0 MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2011
    MS will obviously still sell a regular version of Windows alongside its cloud offering, much like they do with Office 365 and Office 2013. If you have a slow connection, or no connection at all, you would opt for the traditional Windows. If you have a faster connection you could buy a 'Windows 365' subscription.
    I personally RDP into Azure VMs a lot and I rarely have any connection issues.
    My question was mainly about being offline for example during a holiday or due to a technical problem with your ISP, how would you use your PC then? Or momentary drops in the connection, being disconnected and reconnected is a pain.
    For what it's worth, I would be interested in a DaaS subscription model!

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I have a fast connection, and no matter what I would never choose a cloud based OS

12. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    perhaps we come back to old DOS with internet connection :smoking:

beyond that you can use all your pre-paid features upon your leisure if your provider allows access :D

13. BAV0

BAV0 MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2011
    Why not? (except for the fact that you would actually have to pay for it ;)) Privacy concerns?

14. Windows8.1

Windows8.1 MDL Junior Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Would be interesting to see if Microsoft releases Cloud Based OS and people try to activate it using MTK / KMS Emulator :D. May be the developers here will create something called Microsoft Cloud Activator:confused: Let's see and let's keep the future as surprise as it is.

15. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    lol ... better forget that kind of thought as it came into your mind :p

16. BAV0

BAV0 MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2011
    That would be impossible, the closest you'd be able to get to a cracked cloud OS is cracking the launcher to allow VMs running on servers other than Microsoft's own, that way you could setup your own desktop in the cloud.
    Maybe Microsoft will even offer a way for businesses to host the desktops of their employees in their own cloud, this would enable a whole new range of BYOD scenarios! :eek:
    (MS already offers this for Office 365 right now, you can run your own Sharepoint/Exchange/Lync/Office web apps server)

17. smlm17

smlm17 Guest

Open source fans loved that day arrives! :D

18. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I have genuine keys for all my OS's, not a money or privacy thing - I want my OS on my PC, under my control, not some half-assed Starter version crap that needs the net to run properly

The net is a bonus, I still want my machine to function exactly the same with or without it

If I wanted a cloud OS, I buy a Chromebook or install JoliOS

19. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    The cloud thing is another project, vol clients(big corps, govts) are MS's bread&butter, and these people want their stuffs safely inside their own servers and networks, not in somebodies' servers. :p

20. BAV0

BAV0 MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2011
    That's why I suggested the possibility to host it themselves, on the other hand, big businesses and governments are using Office 365 (or Google apps for that matter)!