x86 and x64 WinPE 4.0 dual boot USB - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by rjk, Apr 11, 2013.

1. rjk

rjk MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    Hello modders,

I'm having a hard time with WinPE 4.0. For starters, my USB is 128GB, which means I have to use exFAT - according to some people, it should work, but others say it won't. So far no luck.

Also, it's my only USB and I really would appreciate a foolproof way to boot both x86 and x64 WinPE 4.0 from it. Even if I have to use separate partitions, that would be fine.

Finally, I have to do this in UEFI mode.... BIOS won't work on the device I'm trying to boot to. :( Is this even possible?

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. rjk

rjk MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    Well how could I have missed that? :confused:
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try it right away.

4. rjk

rjk MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    #4 rjk, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I'm still having no luck. Are you sure NTFS works with UEFI?

Also, one of Microsoft's suggestions is to create a small partition for WinPE and the remaining space for data, but I can't create more than one partition on this drive. Here's the error I get:
    Code:
    DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> create partition primary size=1000

DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.

DISKPART> create partition primary

No usable free extent could be found. It may be that there is insufficient
    free space to create a partition at the specified size and offset. Specify
    different size and offset values or don't specify either to create the
    maximum sized partition. It may be that the disk is partitioned using the MBR disk
    partitioning format and the disk contains either 4 primary partitions, (no
    more partitions may be created), or 3 primary partitions and one extended
    partition, (only logical drives may be created).

DISKPART>
    I've also tried using diskmgmt.msc, as well as Paragon hard disk manager 2010 with no luck at all. o_O

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Is it a pen drive?? Windows doesn't allow you to partition USB pen drive by default.

6. rjk

rjk MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    Yup it is, and that seems like a limitation that wasn't thought out too well. Am I screwed, or is there a way around it? It's a Corsair Voyager GT 128 GB.

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #7 Tito, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    Well, I'm sure UEFI boot works with NTFS.

8. rjk

rjk MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks for your help. This is what I have found so far:
    The tablet I am working with (Lenovo Tablet 2) absolutely and unequivocally will not support filesystems other than FAT32. I have tried NTFS and exFAT to no avail. It sucks big time, since the only way I can use FAT32 is to format my pen drive with a 32GB partition. I was however able to make the dual boot PE that you linked to earlier, and that does seem to work.

I found some tools that would allow me to add more than one partition to my drive, but only one of those partitions can be visible within windows at any given time. One thing I have not yet tried is whether the invisible partition could be booted from, leaving the visible partition to act as my storage place for images and tools. I am going to try this next.

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  10. rjk

rjk MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    Success!! Using BootIce (hxxp://bootice.narod.ru/), I was able to create a 1GB FAT32 partition and fill the remaining space with an NTFS partition, which doesn't have a file size limitation. I was able to use the tool to set the FAT32 partition to be visible in order to copy the PE files over, and then I used the tool to switch the NTFS partition to be visible. The tablet booted properly even though the FAT32 partition was still hidden and didn't have a drive letter.

11. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Good job. EFI 100%, no if, and, or but, will not boot off an NTFS partition. Fat32, HFS, and EXT2\3\4 only. I use the same trick as you. Look into "rEFIt" boot loader to load different efi images (bootx64.efi).

12. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    UEFI doesn't boot from NTFS. :ranting:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Well, I was mixing things :icecream:.