Xbox Wireless Adapter - Win 7 driver

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by egalerst, Mar 8, 2021.

1. kingscor

kingscor MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2020
    #21 kingscor, Apr 16, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    Hello Guys.

Thx alot for the driver. i was searching for a working driver for ages. i get the same error 39 from george's driver. only the headset doesnt work. tried with trs and trrs on a xbox series x controller.

2. egalerst

egalerst MDL Junior Member

Sep 3, 2017
    thanks for the report.
    i also didnt manage to get a headset working, but after my initials findings i decided it is the OS fault ;)

3. Gtaspieler5

Gtaspieler5 MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2017
    So how to install now and which link works?
    I tried from @George King and got Error 39.

Have a Series X controller

4. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #24 George King, Apr 24, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    Modded drivers I found are for 1790 adapter. They works on my laptop with fully updated Windows 7

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. egalerst

Sep 3, 2017
  6. kingscor

kingscor MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2020
    I think i know why the headset dont work.

My Xbox series x Controller only work with an old xbox360 driver for win7. And this driver have no headset port support. I this case we need a new win 10 driver for the controller prepared for win7

7. kingscor

kingscor MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2020
    today i got random bluescreen errors after connecting the controller to the wireless adapter. kernel power id 41 error.

And i found out the adapter is gets very hot...

8. egalerst

Sep 3, 2017
    Thanks again for your feedback.
    BSODs didnt show up on my machines, neither with my nor with Georges drivers (it is the same anyway), but i didnt play for hours.
    As you can see in my findings about the differences between old and new official MS driver in the first few posts, part of the code changes are dealing with handling of Idle and Suspend modes.
    Therefore im not completely suprised about the temperature topic.
    Backporting the newer driver to be NDIS 6.20 compatible imho is not impossible, but sadly beyond my skills.

9. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #29 George King, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
  11. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    @egalerst Can you try it to see if it work or ends in BSOD? :)

12. kebabstorm

kebabstorm MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2016
  13. kebabstorm

Aug 3, 2016
    i haven't got any hardware to test this on but i guess it could work

Attached Files:

14. egalerst

Sep 3, 2017
    Hello kebapstorm,

thanks for your attempt. Happy to see that my initial analysis wasnt that wrong :)
    In order to give your version a chance i had to fix or try out a few things.
    • inf x64 section still had the 6.2 flag
    • security cookie was unmodified
    • replaced the mov eax, 0 before the SetOptionsHandler with the proper lea eax, nullsub
    • Unwind_Info_HDR in Runtime_Function_Definition doesnt match anymore
    • Therefore tried to include the stack handling before and after your check/GoTo OID
    Getting complete freezes / BSODs on every attempt.

15. kebabstorm

Aug 3, 2016
    Yeah, I didn't really do much except carving out the SetOptionsHandler func to house the redirected functions for checkhandlerex and ndismresetminiport.

There is also another problem which I missed before, the NdisMSetMiniportAttributes function, as multiple structures there have changed their size/layout in 6.3, which would need to be replaced with their pre 6.3 counterparts. It can't obviously work when the structures aren't aligned properly and the data becomes garbage.

About the security cookie part though, afaik it's function is just to be a stack guard/DEP guard? So if stack is handled properly it wouldn't need to be modified? the execution shouldn't ever reach the int29 fastfail anyway?

16. egalerst

Sep 3, 2017
    Ah okay, i thought it was more a beta-test than a first try ;)

Thats exactly the point where i gave up.
    Technically thats correct, but when i did my first experiments i ran into that problem all the time so i killed it immediately.
    But as we do have misaligned structures or changed function definitions i just wanted to rule out that annoying part.

17. kingscor

kingscor MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2020
    #38 kingscor, Aug 21, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    I got the Bluescreens random between 2-4h every 5 session or so. Does something got changed? the signed driver from @egalerst doesnt work for me anymore. Also file got deleted at anonfiles. Could someone please reup?

18. egalerst

Sep 3, 2017
    Link in Post #25 updated.

19. kingscor

kingscor MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2020
    Thx alot mate.

Anonfiles show up Error 503. Maybe its possible uploading to another hoster?