XP 64bit on on 64bit hardware?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by bandwith3636, Apr 18, 2011.

1. bandwith3636

bandwith3636 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2011
    Hiya,
    I recently got myself new machine (AMD phenomenon & 4 gig of ram) and would like to install XP 64BIT on it since I have some programs which I can find as 64BIT versions eg CD throttle.
    Another issuse is that the 32BIT version of XP is awfully slow when it comes to responding
    eg when opening programs or the checking the properties for some files.
    I therefore though of sticking the 64BIT version of XP on this machine.
    What do you guys think of my idea?

Some other options I though of where Windows XP Mode (XPM)
    except that I haven't really found the start button for it yet.
    Again could anyone please tell me where to find it?
    Thanks alot, bandwith3636

2. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    XP 32bit is faster and more compatible than X64. 64bit is not any faster or more responsive than XP32. I have every version and still use XPsp3 x32. In the XP days drivers and software compatibility was an issue, unless you need more that 4 gigs of ram then for XP the x32 version is better.
    If you want you can dual boot XP x32 and x64 and compare them, I will wager that you will still use x32 as your primary.
    Windows 7 is another ball game, the drivers, software and compatibility issues have been resolved to the point where games designed for XP32 run fine on a Windows 7 x64 w 12gb of ram.

3. bandwith3636

bandwith3636 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2011
    Overall I do consider 7 as the better OS since the hardware of the box is new.
    However there are also some annoyances - such as that new networking control center:mad:
    Way too much blahblah data when just want to the ip address. :mad:
    THX alot for rapping the right mouse click
    The other issue is that I have trouble to find all of them programs which I am used to already.
    As soon as I find program which can deliver the features like CD throttle.
    I have one less reason to worry about.
    One of them these alternatives is supposed to be Nero's DiscSpeed except that I didn't get my head around it yet.
    If someone could tell me how to use it to throttle my optical drive down no matter how.
    Well that would be great

4. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jeremia

jeremia MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2011
    #5 jeremia, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    It's better if you install win 7 64 bit...

6. bandwith3636

bandwith3636 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2011
    That link for CD Throttle turns out to be the same version as the I've been using under XP.
    And it is not working properly in Win7/64BIT:/ sorry:mad:
    yeah I thought and read about that XP mode.
    except I haven't really found the ON switch for it yet.:(
    Does anybody know how to enable it?

7. vinodh

vinodh MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Go to google, search for "XP Mode" and click on the relevant link. Download XP mode and the relevant Virtual PC update. Download the relevant docs as well. Install the downloaded software and click on on the start button, then virtual pc, then xp mode.