XP disc retail vs enterprise

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by vistadude, Jul 25, 2009.

1. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Hi I have an XP Pro disc gold. The key is enterprise and allows unlimited installs. I forget if it requires activation, but it works nonetheless.

I tryed slipstreaming SP2 and SP3 unsucessfully. I was able to download a retail iso of XP with SP3 integrated. Can I use the enterprise key with this retail disc for a regular install? Thanks.

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Nope..The Gold discs are before the RTM. It would be better for you to download the sp3 XP VLK if you do not want to add slp string to your bios. You can do this without flashing, by the way..:D

The Gold, or enterprise, keys are mostly blacklisted and will not pass WGA.

There is a way to use a retail install, and pass WGA without being OEM or other..

The X64 needs no activation, and does not subscribe to WGA..always updates.

VLK 32 bit installs will very seldom pass WGA without a crack (ill advised)

OEM/Retail installs will pass WGA infinitely if activated..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    911medic,

What do you mean the gold discs are blacklisted? This is a working key, windows updates works fine.

If this is true, can I substitute discs?

I don't wanna do flashes or workarounds, otherwise I could just install SP3 :)

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Thanks medic,

I downloaded wmp 11 and it did install (XP Pro Gold enterprise + SP2 installed previously). Now I have this wga trash on my pc :D

I think you're right about vlk not working on gold discs. So I will just stick with gold and install sp1 + sp3 if I ever need to do a reinstall.

Btw, how can you tell the difference between gold and rtm? I thought they are the same? Now I don't know what i have now :)

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Gold is the final build before the RTM. After sign off by partners, the RTM goes into production to allow the manufacturers to modify to fit the OS, or the other way around. The Gold may be the same as RTM..It may not? Who knows..It really does not matter if you add all the updates. It all works out..

As far as the WGA trash..It was installed in the updates, or WMP would not install...