XP SP3 Pro Virtualbox doesn't update and stuck on Update page forever

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by arfoluls, Aug 9, 2013.

1. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yup, that is a safe x64 XP Sp2 ISO

2. arfoluls

arfoluls MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes thanks you're a churchoftheflyingspaghettimonstersend! it hadn't occured to me that a legacy XP would be the 32bit XP I wanted, and it's also inside another tab which is annoying.

Anyway, with this screenshot its updated a bunch of things and is probably pretty safe now. I'm not super worried but I'm reasonably sure the site has updated everything correctly. IE is now IE 8 and not the super unsafe IE6

thanks to everyone for your input!

3. dsbig

dsbig MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    #23 dsbig, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    maybe the issue with windows update is microsoft way of saying forget and upgrade to newer windows.

Im having issues as well. it wont even update the updater. gives error finding page.

I can download the updated updater from seperate site and install it. but then it stuck scanning for forever and then other program pops up with the updates but hanged when install wga thing.

something that was only to take couple hours turned into a day

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #24 EFA11, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    glad you post here dsbig, I had forgotten about this thread. I have installed xp in vm about 6 times since I post last. I think I might have found something that helps. Get activated and validated prior to windows update seems to do it. I don't know what is going on with the site, but it almost seems like it cannot get itself going properly without a validated copy of xp going for the updates.

This is all just observation, nothing to really prove it. I just know more often than not, an install that is validated will update more often than not easily.

5. dsbig

dsbig MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    I tried the validated part and it didnt work.

there are reports this problem is with service pack 3 and its a hit and miss meaning some people dont have the problem and some do.

I have an old vm and update is still running fine. but I need a fresh install for a system and wanted to get it updated before april 2014. and it wont work.

but shouldnt windows update install windows installer 3.1 along with genuine windows validation and restart and then bring up the updates?

I dont know if service pack 3 has windows installer 3.1 already or not.

I installed windows xp pro with service pack 2 only in a vm and after I updated explorer to 8 and installed windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe and ran update. it scanned for a while and then brought up the message saying it needed to download update to work. and it installed windows installer 3.1 and genuine windows validation, restarted computer and restarted windows update and it validated and brought up the updates.

something seems wrong with service pack 3 and microsoft server thats its not syncing probably and giving out the updates.

only problem is finding windows xp pro with service pack 2 vlk version.

another problem is I got my iso from my technet and I dont know if the key will expire or not

6. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    What is the longest time you have left running the windows update page with the green bar scrolling? I would suggest leaving it there for an hour or so at least. In some cases, when I installed XP SP3 in a VM, it took that long for it to finish scrolling and present the updates.

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #27 EFA11, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    It's probably issue or virus. Try reinstall Windows XP.

9. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    It will not be an issue or virus. I always get this issue on a clean install of XPSP3

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Absolutely no problems using windows xp pro SP3 OEM:SLP in VMWare.

11. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Mine is also XP Pro SP3 OEM:SLP That I have been setting up and a clean install on separate partition. Every time I install I get the lag,:confused: but after that it goes through Quicko_O

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I don't know at what part you mean. Windows xp when installing depending on the system doesn't take long to do the file copy part but it can sit for ever when installing devices always has been that way.

13. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    You miss understood me, or I did not explain right. Installing my XP is no problem. 20 min. and I am up and running. It's when I go to M$ for updates for the first time is where I get the lag, in other words, it takes quite a while for M$ to scan my system for updates.

14. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    #34 oldsh_t, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    Disregard Please