XP vs Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Antigen, Nov 13, 2009.

1. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I have XP since when Windows ME was still around :D I never was able to slipstream my xp disc because my cd/dvd burner was terrible and always made errors. Why isn't there an option just to buy a new a windows disc for cheap without a license?

I don't like, I HATE using XP for many reasons :)

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I dont use a AV program, and I have never had a virus. I usually reinstall the windows every couple of years because all windows versions like to self destruct within that time..at least it seems so.

I have used the XP since the very beginning, didnt like it at first, then learned the problems were mostly mine. I suspect the same will be true of 7, if I ever use it consistently.

I have found that through the years, most XP problems are user error. Even seasoned "pros" have been added to this syndrome. Just because it is the way you learned it, or the way you have been using for the many years, doesnt make it the right way. It seems to me if the majority of power users have no issue, but the mainstream novice has issues, and the same issue over and over (this goes for "pros" too) doesnt it seem to point to the indian and not the arrow..???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even Linux and Mac have problems if the users are a bit un- or underinformed on usage. I am sticking with user problems outweighing the OS errors. I have had very, very few problems with Xp..any major issue has been of my own doing..:cool:

Edit: It seems if you hate XP and Vista ("you" is a generalization and not directed at anyone), there are a ton of viable and very inexpensive alternatives to this OS...Most run on very little hardware also....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Most people who liked xp, will like win7.
    XP ruled for years, and still is a very good OS (mostly thanks to sp2 and sp3).

The new win7 UI though, is something to get used to, especially when having skipped Vista. If u could handle the headaches in Vista on the other hand, you can handle win7 with eyes closed.

I still can't understand who could've liked Vista at all. It was a bloody mess of an OS. Many people who realised that, did for that reason stick to XP untill now.

Win7 actually is nothing more then a more develloped and tweaked Vista, but an effective one. It has not yet surpassed XP in many aspects, like the ram-issues, certain re-occuring bugs like hibernation, etc... but it will when sp's get released.

Untill then I must say that I've never liked messing around with an OS more then I like messing with Win7. It has some very interesting new features, and has a lot more going on under the hood than XP, and the possabilities in Win7 exceed XP by far.

So I'd say, personaly, I always preferred XP, also compared to Vista, but I now have a new toy to explore. XP is no longer present on my rig, and even VMware and other apps run fine. As long as that's the case, I won't reinstall it either.
    For now XP is in the past for me. I've messed around with it for a long time, but now I've finally moved on.

4. Supersize

Supersize MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
    I'm the same, I haven't run a Virus scanner in years, and never had a virus.

Though I've seen machines come into places I've work riddled with them even having an anti-virus.

Windows 7 is still a "baby" compared to XP. Even with the consumer beta testing, doesn't mean all the bugs are worked out, They did the same for Vista and look at how bad it was on release.

I'm running Windows XP and 7 Side by side and I must say I do like Windows 7, but I've found a few things not to work with it. But I can say the same for XP.

No OS is going to be the be all end all of OS's, they are always going to have bugs or user error.

I personally think its each to their own, whichever OS suites your needs, and it seems MS have listened to that by extending XP support for a longer period. By the time XP support stops they will have another OS out or at least a huge service pack for Windows 7.

Oh I forgot, until consoles start using Directx 11, no game is going to really "need" it to run...

5. JohnnyRebel

JohnnyRebel MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    i think medic said it on this thread or another about just cuz its a new os dosent mean ya gotta run out and grab it... that pretty much sums it up... new dosent mean better... win7 will have to prove itself over time especially after people get over the bells and whistles... only then will we really see how good it can be... my feeling is that much like xp... win7 is the right place at the right time... a fair portion of people have the adequate hardware to run it productively and that can make all the difference... im running win7 on a old dell inspiron 1300 from 2006 and it runs fantastic to be honest... sure i dont have aero but really i dont care... the whole aero thing was never a big thing for me anyways... im using custom basic themes on it already(got into skinning with xp) the more i use it the more it starts to feel like win xp in a funny kinda way...

at the end of the day ya gotta use whatever you personally like its really that simple

6. the_brenton

the_brenton MDL Junior Member

Nov 17, 2009
    sure xp but for who have a good pc must use a new OS :D

7. nikdevid

nikdevid MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    Hi Antigen,
    I just read your post and always go with the new technology that is window 7 and window XP is good and new is the new one.

8. M3TAL_L0RD

M3TAL_L0RD MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2009
    So true, there really isn't any.

Partially true... 64-bit XP supports only 128 GB memory and 64-bit Windows 7 supports 8-192 GB depending on edition
    * Starter: 8GB
    * Home Basic: 8GB
    * Home Premium: 16GB
    * Professional: 192GB
    * Enterprise: 192GB
    * Ultimate: 192GB

9. Supersize

Supersize MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
    Seriously, who the hell is going to use 192GB's of ram anytime soon...

I've gone back to XP 64 from Windows 7. I'm not missing anything from Windows 7.
    And I certainly don't miss the homegroup stuff either...lol

10. Tripa

Tripa MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I can remember when the first 8086 gave us a whole 1 MByte address space, and we had similar thaughts... :D

11. Supersize

Supersize MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
    Yours would of crapped on mine.

I bought 512k for $400 to upgrade to 1MB.
    Comanche wouldn't run without 1MB ram...lol

But just remember this was back in the DOS 5 days....

Windows 7 and XP for that matter will be dead an buried well before we need 192GB's ram.

12. JohnnyRebel

JohnnyRebel MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009

100% agree

13. Tripa

Tripa MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
  14. Shonk

Shonk MDL Member

Oct 10, 2007
    #34 Shonk, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    Xp for me, I was a beta tester for ms for a good 8 years
    so have no problem changing to new os's

Speed isnt an issue

Bloat is
    Lack of choice is

windows 7 is a case of my way or the highway
    so the highway it was

No xp start menu even though i wouldnt use it but they have removed it to force the switch on people

No all programs popout same reason again
    the fact you have to fight stuff
    example you turn off all media sharing but it still insists on starting the service even if you put the service to manual and have to put it on disable

there are loads of niggles like this that i dont like
    and the total lack of options and choices
    its more like windows for newbs
    and im going to stay with xp until they stop updating it
    thank god for netbooks extending the life of xp

another example
    you dont want indexed search fine
    you get no search at all

oh and the 6-20gig WinSxS folder doesnt impress me either

homegroup aka file sharing for idiots
    i have no interest in it why do i have to set my network as a work network
    just to get rid of it i should be able to set it as a home network and just state
    cram that crudd where the sun doesnt shine

there's loads!!!

15. TheOldScout

TheOldScout MDL Junior Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I spent $475 for a 16k S100 bus dynamic memory card just so I could run MS Basic loaded by cassette tape... and people gripe about slow computers:)

16. BibuConn

BibuConn MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2009
    I don't understand how people have been running their pc for years with no antivirus programs. The thought alone scares me to death!! lol

17. derrengreeve

derrengreeve MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    I think XP is better than Windows 7.
    I never come any problem in XP with any pc or laptop.
    I used Windows 7 for 3 months, in Windows 7 I have to restart my pc more times. last 3 years I use XP.

18. the_brenton

the_brenton MDL Junior Member

Nov 17, 2009
    and windows 7 for
    supporting directx11
    but xp is better :p

19. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    maybe Win7 is used for IT pro to find new methods to wonderfully activate microsoft OS system.:cool:

Perhaps Win8 beta, Win9 beta will be cracked in a flash after publishing.:rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...