Yamaha driver link https://sites.google.com/site/yamahasoundcarddriver is dead! HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by palbertsma, Jun 22, 2013.

1. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    #101 palbertsma, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  2. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    yes, would be great if the PCMCIA/USB 2.0 issue would be resolved after WU but I'm sceptical... ;)
    Addressing questions in your previous...
    ...as mentioned in previous - power should not be a problem, max. data rate is the bottleneck.
    ...should work - could be a number of reasons; Hardware related, eg. power issues, interference and software related, eg. PCMCIA card- or USB port config./settings. Unfortunately I don't have XP on any of my boxes but I bet the're are a lot of members who do. Hopefully someone will reply.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if wifi is not connecting make sure xp is sp3 or it wont connect to WPA2 secured wifi.

4. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Thank your for your reply! That explains that I couldn't connect my WPA2 secured wifi with the Windows XP lite versions, as they all are without SP or with SP1 only!

Regarding to PCMCIA matters: I think that interference was the main course of not functioning well of my connection.

Connecting through an extern USB modem by using an USB cable of about 1 meter between the computer and the modem, helps to establish a more stabile connection. So IMHO the modem too close to the computer caused the connection to be impossible sometimes or to be very instabile.

Can somebody confirm that? Does this make sense?

5. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    ...lol, yep, see my previous posting. ...right at the bottom. :biggrin:

6. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Yes, I know! I was aware of your reply!:p

But I am eager to know if more people would have experienced the same situation - if this would be the same reason my inbuilt wifi modem of another notebook I have performs less than an external USB modem.

7. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    Well, I own this ThinkPad notebook and experienced simular issues. Connecting a Linksys USB 2.0 WLAN adapter directly to the USB port almost halves radio reception due to interference. I solved this issue by using a short USB extension cable. ;)

8. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Ok, nice to hear that! So it workes like I thought! If I inderstood well you don't make use of the inbuilt WLAN functionality of your ThinkPad notebook -you probably disabled it in Device Manager -, but use the extern Linksys USB 20 WLAN adapter instead!

Thank you very much for replying and your good information!:biggrin:

9. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    I 'inherited' the IBM ThinkPad notebook from a family member who 'upgraded' and didn't have any use for it anymore - No internal WLAN (miniPCI) present so I made good use of an Linksys USB 2.0 B/G WLAN adapter I had laying around. Replaced the original OS Windows XP Professional with Crunchbang Waldorf *an Openbox Linux distro* and the ThinkPad is happy again. :D

10. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
  11. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    #111 Bytebuster, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    We got off track, this thread started off with Windows 7 - next Windows XP - now Linux (specially since this thread is in the Windows 7 section) ;)

Anyways, probably yes, you're better off with XP HOWEVER it all depends on how you configure Linux. - Keep in mind Crunchbang Waldorf is based on Debian 7.0 Wheezy (lastest stable)
    ...You really can't compare Debian 7.0 (2013) with XP (2001) / XP SP3 (2008) lol :)

Why don't you just try if it works for you; Play around for a bit. Considering your laptops specs I really can't recommend running Linux from USB flashdrive (Live).
    However, You can easely install Linux next to Windows XP. No problem at all. :D

12. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Thank you for your suggestions! I will stay with Window XP, as it is impossible to install from the CD: the data is too large to fit on the CD. Installing from USB isn't possible, as the BIOS doesn't allow the USB port to be a start-up device.

Again: I appreciate your concern!:biggrin: