Your check list of must things to do for fresh Windows 10 install???

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mtrai, Jan 28, 2017.

1. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    I was kind of curious if others have a notepad or what not documents with a list of must fix settings for Windows 10 installs?

I had been trying to always do it by memory but recently decided to create a notepad doc with a list of things...mine is not complete. I store it onedrive.

Here is mine not in any particular order and not always detailed how to...what is yours?

Unblock all downloads: gpedit.msc, Go to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Attachment Manager.>>>>Double click the policy setting "Do not preserve zone information in file attachments". Enable it and click OK.

Set single click open file folder, options, single-click to open an item

Turn off download blocking Put steps in

Create Control Panel Shortcut..desktop, new, short cut, type control panel, next, finish

Create cmd prompt, desktop, new, short cut, type cmd, next, finish

Turn notifications off, turn off suggested apps, in settings then turn off notifications in secuity and maintence center in control panel

Disable onedrtive from automatic starting.

Set onedrive storage location

Remove log in password netplwiz

Disable windows defender and early antimalware via gpedit.msc

Disable firewall Firewall program first then Services.

Set BCDEDIT test signing mode Cmd (admistrative) Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

Updates uncheck Include Driver Updates when I update windows. Via Windows update Advanced options

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Many items on the list are not really necessary or just weird, like why disable firewall, set test signing mode, remove login pw (just use offline account and don't use a pw if not desired), create control panel and cmd prompt shortcut (just use x menu, it still is available), single click to opening folders and files, etcetc...

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Disabling WF isn't like opening your front door, actually backdoor, windows, etc. to let the threats to come into your house?

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I only have one, a reminder to send Bat.1 a PM each morning to see who is CAM Girl of the day, jk :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Actually I do, I do 99% of setting via my bat with tweaks, but I have to do a few manually (marked as Windows 0 within my bat).

No, unless you have an open port, nothing can get into your PC and even that would be via the software keeping the port opened, mostly a vulnerability, basically you would have to be infected already. Firewall only filters out unsolicited traffic and makes closed ports to appear as stealthed (way worse actually). All vulnerable apps like a browser are already allowed, so what is the point of using it? It only slows down browsing and computer by analyzing traffic/processes like AV does. If you are behind a router (most people are), you are covered.

6. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    REALLY?? Y'all first 2 do not do any customization? This topic was not to make judgments as already happened on how people customize their OS but what do you customize. Everyone has valid reason for doing certain things in customized their OS...God I remember the XP days here and the many many different XP Full OS installs with so many different things.

7. Set all my connections to metered is the first thing I do. Because we have low net speeds here even if not metered.

8. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I sign in local first so I get a good user name. The very next thing I do is change to MS account, then I get rid of Windows.old. After that I run my batch file which installs all my programs, and registry edits. Then I run my program I wrote which lets me run third party themes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. brownimfc

brownimfc MDL Senior Member

Jan 25, 2015
    1st thing I do is open Disk Management and change my data partition to d:

10. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Change the PromptOnSecureDesktop policy to 0.

11. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I did a clean install on a New MB, Ram, CPU & Hdd using a flash drive install of build 15002 x64 Pro.
    My install went good & using my MS account for UN & PW I was setup, turned off rig for overnight.

Next day I was able to use WU to update to build 15014.

this worked for me :)

Edit: Nothing extra done besides using a flash drive, a clean straight-up easy install.

12. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    PART 1: Driver install

PART 2 [Automatted Script 1 running Unattended]:

STAGE 1:
    Disable Scheduled Telemetry Tasks
    Delete Telemetry Service
    Disable unneeded Services
    Set Ehernet Connection to Metered
    >>> REBOOT

STAGE 2:
    Remove Telemetry/Search/Cortana/Biometrics/Geolocation/OneDrive/Xbox Packages
    >>> REBOOT

STAGE 3:
    Remove preinstalled Store Apps
    Install Updates from folder (offline)
    >>> REBOOT

PART 3 [Automatted Script 2 running Unattended]:

STAGE 1:
    Frameworks install
    Programs install
    Theming 1: Aeroglass
    Theming 2: UxStyle
    Files copy
    Registry Tweaking
    Theming 3: StartIsBack++
    >>> REBOOT

PART 4: Hiding Drivers in WU

PART 5: Rest is done on the fly when nessessary

13. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Step 1. Grab a 1lt. bottle of beer and be grateful install didn't fail. :D

Step 2. Anything goes.

14. El_Heffe

El_Heffe MDL Member

Jul 16, 2007
    [h=2]check list of must things to do for fresh Windows 10 install[/h]1. Don't install Windows 10

15. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    1. sign in as local account, MS account is useless for me.
    2. Install drivers
    3. Disable cortana and store apps
    4. install Tinywall, ESET, Firefox, Office, basically all apps
    5. install updates
    Blocking telemetry and stuff is not my cup of tea, as i don't wanna mess anything which then later causes me trouble, but i do disable all options in privacy settings, and i know it isn't enough. But still, i can only do what i know about. But i always have my eye on this privacy debate