Need help with Adaptec RAID card and Server 2008 x64.

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Myrrh, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I've seen some pretty impressive stuff on these forums so hopefully someone is sharp enough for this one. :)

I've got some SuperMicro Xeon servers which will run Windows 2008 just fine. However, the servers have SCSI drives and an Adaptec 2010S ZCR "Zero Channel Raid" adapter which uses a driver called dpti2o.sys.

Adaptec only has 32-bit drivers available for download. However, there is an embedded dpti20.sys on the Windows 2003 x64 cdrom.

Can I grab this driver off the cdrom, even off of a running Win2003 x64 system, and package it up somehow so that I can then use it during the "browse for driver" phase of Windows 2008 setup? Or better yet, slipstream it into the ISO? I have been beating my head against the wall for a while trying to figure this one out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #2 Myrrh, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
    (OP)
    light goes on in my head

I think it doesn't work because 2008 x64 requires signed drivers and there's no option to bypass this on the initial install.

I have the x64 driver dpti2o.sys file and the x86 oemsetup.inf and txtsetup.oem files that came with the 32-bit driver. If I upload those, is there anybody here with expertise to take them and build a working x64 driver package (x64 inf and cat file) that I could use?

If not, then I just have to come to terms with the fact that unless I replace my raid cards, these servers can't go past Server 2003 R2 x64.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    So, everyone here knows how to mod bios to insert SLIC, and circumvent Microsoft licensing, but nobody has any input on this simple thing? I am disappointed.

4. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    I think you're going about this the wrong way...all the files you need should be on your system.

1. Under your Win2k3 Server x64 installation, is the dpti2o.sys driver signed?
    If no, then you're SOL.
    If yes, then there is hope...proceed to question #2.

2. I don't actually have Win2k3 Server x64 installed, but I do have access to Vista x64 machines and I assume Microsoft uses a similar layout to store all of the INF, CAT and SYS files.

On a running Win2k3 Server x64 box, go under the C:\Windows\INF folder, search & find the INF file for your Adaptec card. It might be one of the OEM#.INF files. Now go to the C:\Windows\System32\CatRoot folder that has all of the .CAT files in it, and find your corresponding CAT file.

Ex: My Broadcom Ethernet driver is installed as OEM0.INF and OEM0.CAT.

3. If you do manage to get it working, please post a zip with the working x64 drivers to help others.

5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #5 Myrrh, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    1. Yes, it is a signed driver.
    Code:
    Adaptec 2010S Ultra320

Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 10/1/2002
    Driver Version: 5.2.3790.3959
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Component Publisher
    2. I tried to do what you suggest before I initially posted here. Unfortunately this is one of the default drivers included on Win2k3 x64 install cd. There is not an INF or CAT specifically for these that I've been able to find. If it had been a 3rd-party driver that I used F6 to install, there would be no issue.

3. Of course if I get it working I will let the world know about it.

Thanks for the response, any more ideas will be welcome.

6. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    #6 tqhoang, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
    Have you tried looking in the DriverStore (built-in and OEM setup)? I'm not sure if it's the same folder for x64, but it should have something similar.

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\

If so, then you can hackup the TXTSETUP.OEM without invalidating the CAT.

UPDATE: Sorry, this was only for Vista & 2008. I logged into our Windows XP x64 box and see what you mean.

7. LimitlessMinds

LimitlessMinds MDL Novice

May 27, 2009
    Better late then never?

cus this is an old thread (and cus I'm searching for why my 2010s driver crashed just now) I'm not going to go put alot of effort into going and verifying this but...

My offhand guess would be that the drivers are similar (or the same) as the ones Adaptec provided for Microsoft's initial shipping of XP... the reason the drivers didn't work are because Adaptec send bad drivers..

8. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Well I am definitely still interested if someone finds an answer. The machine(s) in question are currently running Server 2003 x64 but I would like the ability to upgrade at some point.

9. oopsilon

oopsilon MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    I was able to extract a Vista x64 driver for a LSI Logic SCSI HBA and slip-stream it into Windows 7 x64 using vLite. So if Server 2003 x64 drivers can be run under Server 2008 x64, then I imagine vLite could help you out there too.

10. oopsilon

oopsilon MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    #10 oopsilon, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  11. bigdogchris

bigdogchris MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2011
    I have an Adaptec 2010S in a server that I want to install Server 2008 x64 on. Has there been any luck getting this to work? I'm also trying to look for Server 2003 x64 drivers in hopes to get it to install but I can't find any.