Accidentally formatted my PC and installed Window 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by soamz, Aug 13, 2015.

1. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

That's why it's very critical to always make a full backup or clown of any activated and fully operational system, don't worry I been burned before in the same matter in the past.

If it's clean machine ;) call M$ they will get you up an running in less then 10mins when you reach someone in customer care and they generate a ticket and waiting for hours sometimes in the first process the activation team is very quick

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Not sure I'm getting what are you saying.

To get w10 activated you have to upgrade.

Then, if you want a clean install, you can do it w/o formatting, that's what I'm saying.

4. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

Sorry.

Just stating if someone wiped a activated win 7 or win 8 or 10 machine or lost they key for 7 or 8 while activated before the win 10 update or after will get a new activation within the 1 year time frame as long as it is a clean machine wouldn't b wise to call and wait for hours to lie about a fraudulent activation would it? Many folks try but are not offered a free meal.

By mistake or a board craps out within the year your clean machine gets the full green clean activation your good by calling in m$ will assist there is a report in what I am relaying to you an everyone if it's a clean machine windows 7 or Windows 8 activation will be granted to the caller

5. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    how can he look in "windows.old" when he formatted the drive? :rolleyes:

6. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    If running it from your current activated Windows version I would 'guess' yes.
    I can test it on my clean install of Windows 10 though if your like, not much on it besides updates atm. But all that would show is that it creates a Windows.old backup folder.

7. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I'll prove you wrong. Install windows 7. Now format the drive. Now install windows 10. Now try to recover your original windows 7 back so that it boots. It's not gonna happen no matter what program you run or how good you are because the data is overwritten. Maybe not all, but enough. Because that's what he wants to do and it's what you're not understanding.

8. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Yes. If you don't format you'll have a windows.old and a clean install.

9. eddiethc

eddiethc MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2012
    yeap u can get 8.1 pro 21 bucks for oem key on a site i wont post cause i dont think im allowed to but feel free to pm me

10. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I must have dozed off for awhile. During my nap I cloned three partitions (one from a hard drive on another computer), then ran Win98 fdisk and destroyed two of those partitions, deleted my operating partition which had my legit Windows 7 Ultimate installed on it, used Minitool to re-partition and format my drives, and powered down the machine.

When I finished my nap, I booted up and only got a message that an operating system could not be found. I can't find my original, totally legit key for Win7 Ult and therefore cannot upgrade to Windows 10. I'm in a fix I tell ya!

:D

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    If you have genuine key of windows 7 from a friend then clean install windows 7, activate using genuine key and then upgrade with windows 10.

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

If you are on OEM install, say w7 preinstalled on notebooks the key from the sticker was never used.

On OEM machines W7 preinstalled = W7 installed manually and activated with Daz loader.

There is no point to use it