After the end of Win 7 Support

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tmf2, Jan 14, 2019.

1. ols

ols MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2015
    many of the people who thought so, but a large majority of those who are on course, not returned to Seven.
    In reality windows 10 is better, it is also true that it is a bit too curious in relation to Seven:)

2. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I disagree... and the trivialisation through your choice of words "a bit too curious" tells all there is now. This world is running at high speed to complete surveillance, and data storage about each person, and both sooner or later will be (ab-used against them. And it is your kind of thinking that allows this. Or, more precisely. it is the huge majority of people who do not think at all, and rather consume and live off freebies like Win10.

3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I disagree with this...
    Upgrading from XP to 7 made sense, it worked a lot a faster. My boottime with 7 ulti with an old i5 and an SSD takes 7 seconds.
    And there is not a single task that 7 cannot do....
    What "improvement" has 10 to offer? Aside the fact that I am getting something "for free"?

4. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Trying to be objective, win10 is not all bad, it does have some really handy features. It does perform the best of any Windows so far in terms of boot times and install times. I'm using LTSC 2019 which is a stripped down version and I do a lot of tweaking to get it starting up with minimal services and tasks, but it is performing quite well for me in terms of speed and stability. However, the argument is whether it's worth all the baggage it comes with.

At this point I would live with features lacking in win7 over the headaches of win10. That was not the case comparing winxp to win7. The latter had something substantial to offer over winxp, though it was starting down the path of horror that is win10.

5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I haven't read this whole thread, but I saw this day coming, and if I repeat what someone already said, please overlook it.
    There are really only 2 options here if you want to stay with Windows (i'm writing this with the view of someone who loves Windows 7 like me):

1) Use Windows 10 and figure it out. It's going to be around a long time. Windows 7 didn't have a store, so why do you need one in Windows 10? Answer: you don't. So use LTSB/LTSC and learn how to make Windows 10 act like Windows 7 when it comes to controlling updates and other areas.
    2) Use an unsupported version of Windows that will be prone to be hijacked.

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Chblock: "Trying to be objective, win10 is not all bad...."
    Nobody ever said it is a bad OS. Did anybody NEED it, other than MS itself to make money? No.
    "...best of any Windows so far in terms of boot times..." My Win7 needs exactly 7 seconds... do I need another OS to "save" another two seconds?
    What pi**ed me and millions of others off is, that they gave it away "for free". And of course, what pi**ed me off even more is, that the planet is inhabited by greedy half monkeys, who fell for a trick like that.
    No wonder huge changes are coming...

pf100 I am using a computer for the things I actually want to do. The computer is a medium for me, not my hobby. So, "2) Use an unsupported version of Windows that will be prone to be hijacked." Maybe, maybe not. As far as I can see now, I may start using Linux, and 7 for the few things Linux cannot do.
    Many people already do that, I can learn from them, should it become necessary. I can still see quite a lot of XPs all over the place, no one wrote software to hijack all of them....
    After 7 support end, IF it comes, there will be private security update services, and I am sure MDL will tell us, which one is trustworthy. I do not mind paying someone who creates a useful software FOR ME, I mind being b***s***** with a free OS!

7. podkaracz

podkaracz MDL Novice

Jun 15, 2017
    As a gamer myself there is nothing that comes close to sharp windows 7 with much less input lag than windows 10 !

8. Currently ? Nothing.

But In the future, it will be same situation like Windows 7 and prior OSes. Simply new versions of software won't be supporting OSes other than Windows 10. And then, it will be necessary to upgrade.

I have some machines with Windows XP in our company, and they work with no issues from years. They are very stable.
    But it is impossible to install new software versions on them (eg new AutoCAD).

9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Let me summarize my situation in one sentence:

Windows 10 does not have a single feature that I actually need, yet it comes with many "features" I don't want, so, why bother with it?

10. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    @ThomasMann I did specifically state "if you want to stay with Windows." And you're preaching to the choir here. I triple-boot Windows and 2 distros of Linux. If Windows went away tomorrow I'd be fine.

11. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Well...no. Just saying as an example it's doesn't do those things slower at least.

The statement about having nothing I need and lots of stuff I don't sums it up nicely for me as well. I spent a lot of time undoing those things that just get in my way. Shouldn't be like that. I should have the option to install what I need and not install what I don't.

One thing to consider, the PC is a dwindling market. Sales have been greatly declining for desktop computers and less so for notebook computers. People are using non-PC solutions more for stuff. So it's like desperation for them to find new revenue streams and it shows with the scatterbrain approach to win10.

Big corporations generally don't fare well in a declining market. Kind of like the top of the food chain goes first when there's an extinction event.

12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I think, you wrote the best description of Win10 yet it "doesn't do those things slower at least."
    I also think that the phone market is a good example to understand the development, more and more people are beginning to understand, that the kind of consuming that consists of buying a new one every year is not really the best way to enjoy life.
    From a Mac1 to a computer with XP and then to Win7 made a huge improvement for private users like myself.
    But now? There are basically only new developments that I want to downgrade from. and avoid. How much time is left, before some countries begin to use an isolated national internet under their control?

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #53 Joe C, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. tmf2

tmf2 MDL Junior Member

May 5, 2010
    #54 tmf2, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    (OP)
    Actually 3 options............Linux.

15. tmf2

tmf2 MDL Junior Member

May 5, 2010
    #55 tmf2, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    (OP)
    Seriously Liinux works quite well and is a viable option as is 8.1 Enterprise with start menu mod.

16. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
  17. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Two things...
    The question was "There are really only 2 options here if you want to stay with Windows", so yours is not really a third option...

"Seriously Liinux works quite well..."

Yes, but Win 7 does not just work "quite well"... it actually really works,,,

;););)

18. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Win7 worked great for me for lots of years as well as winxp. I was really sad when they retired winxp and I'll feel the same for win7. I'm starting to get used to win10 after a lot of beating it into shape. It does seem to work pretty good though. Still there's a lot I don't like about win10 which I never had to say for winxp and win7.

The main reason I don't use an alternative is software support and to a lesser extent hardware support. Windows is still where all software is available. Though the app market for phones and stuff is getting a big piece of that, Windows is still dominant for professional software. Most 3D games have Windows versions as well. The point being I'd be giving up something to avoid Windows, but I'd be gaining something too, much less aggravation.

19. Order_66

Order_66 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2010
    I'm right at 7 seconds from when I push the button, fast boot off, a lot has to do with my hardware since I'm running 4266 memory and 8700k @ 5.1ghz asrock taichi z370 with 3 WD black nvme drives in raid 0.
    Windows 10 LTSB was also around 7 seconds during the short time I used it.